I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2012, 09:32 AM
RE: I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive
(30-04-2012 09:24 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Just read the damn thing. Like R rated movies provide any less shock factor.
This.

People who are "shocked" or "repulsed" by some of the things in the Bible have lived a more sheltered life than me...

...granted, I'm pretty jaded, but still...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2012, 09:34 AM
(30-04-2012 09:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 09:24 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Just read the damn thing. Like R rated movies provide any less shock factor.
This.

People who are "shocked" or "repulsed" by some of the things in the Bible have lived a more sheltered life than me...

Sometimes I wonder if people only refer to the Bible as digusting or repulsive in attempt to stand on some moral highground. Like Saw, Human Centipede, Schindler's List, etc is any more disturbing. Dodgy

This thread has attention whoring all over it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
30-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I never found it disgusting or repulsive... I am a horror film fan after all...

I just found it a bit shit. I didn't like the story telling.

[Image: opforum1.png]
30-04-2012, 09:40 AM
(30-04-2012 09:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder if people only refer to the Bible as digusting or repulsive in attempt to stand on some moral highground. Like Saw, Human Centipede, Schindler's List, etc is any more disturbing. Dodgy

Pffft! I didn't read those either - life is short. Violence and injustice are everywhere. Why expose oneself to more of it than necessary?

That's got nothing to do with getting attention, it's got to do with what you want to do with your life.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-04-2012, 09:43 AM
(30-04-2012 09:40 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 09:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder if people only refer to the Bible as digusting or repulsive in attempt to stand on some moral highground. Like Saw, Human Centipede, Schindler's List, etc is any more disturbing. Dodgy

Pffft! I didn't read those either - life is short. Violence and injustice are everywhere. Why expose oneself to more of it than necessary?

That's got nothing to do with getting attention, it's got to do with what you want to do with your life.
Watching the Human Centipede is a life changing experience... I recommend it to all. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
30-04-2012, 11:27 AM
(30-04-2012 09:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder if people only refer to the Bible as digusting or repulsive in attempt to stand on some moral highground.

Rivers of blood flow out of the fucking thing, but maybe one hasta be a prophet to get the cool visuals. I simply didn't even like having the thing in the house.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2012, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 08:20 PM by Jedah.)
I finished New Testament when I was a university student (which was about 8 years ago...). I read this shit from head to tail, word by word, passage by passage ,and took research note while reading it. It took me 1 year to finish this (simply read a small passage per day, or a chapter while in good mood). I must say its probably the worst reading experience I ever had.
Now I am doing the same thing to Old Testament. It's actually MUCH fun & hilarious !!

Why am I doing this? Cuz I want to know more & deep about this shit than the people who believe it. So I can rebuke them with their own words.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like Jedah's post
30-04-2012, 08:32 PM
(30-04-2012 09:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 09:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This.

Sometimes I wonder if people only refer to the Bible as digusting or repulsive in attempt to stand on some moral highground. Like Saw, Human Centipede, Schindler's List, etc is any more disturbing. Dodgy

I do not understand your attitude used in comparing them on anyway... There's a difference with expectations and standards on what these are. Nobody claims that a movie intended to disgust people is moral good base of real human activity. The Bible on the other hand is claimed by many to be a great tale of triumph of a people.. Yet you read about a bunch of slaughtering towns and smiting of defenseless children.

Beside all that.. why should anyone read it? It's not something that ought to be read by anyone. It's just tales and exaggerated claims of a Bronze Age society.

When I read it, I found it funny how this is taken as word of truth but to some people it can come off a whole lot of ways.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
01-05-2012, 01:23 AM
(29-04-2012 09:04 PM)socken Wrote:  Sometimes I'll look at the odd scripture to see what podcasters or bloggers are referring to, etc., but that's about it. I don't want to be a quote miner; I want to be able to cite it intelligently.
And I know I should read the bible--really, I think I should--but I feel after 35 years (I'm 50 now) of having it shoved down my throat in a selective manner, and always HATING going to church in the first place, it's pretty repulsive to me.
Today I found myself looking at the issue of the end of the book of Mark being tacked on after the fact, and reading the account of Jesus' death and resurrection. I was stunned at how it made me feel, or rather, the feelings it recalled: I found myself feeling something like a reverent sorrow, like "that poor Jesus, so persecuted for us, and he took it all like a champ, and then the pain, and then having it all be worth it cuz he came back to life and triumphed..." It was like a powerful vacuum from the past, sucking me in. Of course, I wasn't buying any of it, but the FEELINGS....It's hard to describe. (Plus I still think Handel's Messiah is some of the most beautiful music out there, including "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth." I allow myself this, but still have a hard time listening to it. Mixed up, I know.)
Maybe this is why I don't read the bible more: this visceral reaction. How sick!!! My young Princeton-educated non-believing daughter accused me of of still believing on some level (we had a long-into-the-night discussion last xmas on my preoccupation with the harms and evil of religion). I don't think it's that I believe; I think it's this emotional conditioning.
Still, I'd like to be able to read the stupid thing without having this distasteful reaction. Ugh! Anyone else have this type of experience?

Still a better read than the Koran. It's both repulsive and some of the most insufferably boring shit I have ever read!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
01-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Koran's way better you vehicular insecticide. Tongue

But reading these things to debate believers? That's made of fail. The vast majority of 'em only believe in their own self-righteousness and have no idea what the Bible's on about; and of course any debate ends with, well, you gotta have faith.

Yeah, they don't know what faith is either. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post