I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 10:04 AM by Jedah.)
RE: I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive
(01-05-2012 05:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Koran's way better you vehicular insecticide. Tongue

But reading these things to debate believers? That's made of fail. The vast majority of 'em only believe in their own self-righteousness and have no idea what the Bible's on about; and of course any debate ends with, well, you gotta have faith.

Yeah, they don't know what faith is either. Tongue

I guess you r right ,too.
However, I still prefer to know more about what kind of shit I am dealing with.
I know bible is poo. There r also scientists who study poos to improve our health, aren't they? Evil_monster

Just remember dont put it into your mouth!!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Jedah's post
01-05-2012, 02:23 PM
(30-04-2012 08:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 09:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder if people only refer to the Bible as digusting or repulsive in attempt to stand on some moral highground. Like Saw, Human Centipede, Schindler's List, etc is any more disturbing. Dodgy

This thread has attention whoring all over it.
I do not understand your attitude used in comparing them on anyway... There's a difference with expectations and standards on what these are. Nobody claims that a movie intended to disgust people is moral good base of real human activity. The Bible on the other hand is claimed by many to be a great tale of triumph of a people.. Yet you read about a bunch of slaughtering towns and smiting of defenseless children.

Beside all that.. why should anyone read it? It's not something that ought to be read by anyone. It's just tales and exaggerated claims of a Bronze Age society.

When I read it, I found it funny how this is taken as word of truth but to some people it can come off a whole lot of ways.
Let's just say I find it hard to believe that anyone could legitimately be unnerved by reading the bible. Christians are the most prude and offendable people on Earth and lots of them read it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
(01-05-2012 02:23 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 08:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I do not understand your attitude used in comparing them on anyway... There's a difference with expectations and standards on what these are. Nobody claims that a movie intended to disgust people is moral good base of real human activity. The Bible on the other hand is claimed by many to be a great tale of triumph of a people.. Yet you read about a bunch of slaughtering towns and smiting of defenseless children.

Beside all that.. why should anyone read it? It's not something that ought to be read by anyone. It's just tales and exaggerated claims of a Bronze Age society.

When I read it, I found it funny how this is taken as word of truth but to some people it can come off a whole lot of ways.
Let's just say I find it hard to believe that anyone could legitimately be unnerved by reading the bible. Christians are the most prude and offendable people on Earth and lots of them read it.

My guess is that he's put off by his own emotional reaction because of his past and how it still plays on him when he reads it. I didn't really get from the OP that he was grossed out by the acts described in the Bible as if it were a Saw movie.

That indoctrination has lasting effects, even after ditching faith.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
(01-05-2012 05:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Koran's way better you vehicular insecticide. Tongue

But reading these things to debate believers? That's made of fail. The vast majority of 'em only believe in their own self-righteousness and have no idea what the Bible's on about; and of course any debate ends with, well, you gotta have faith.

Yeah, they don't know what faith is either. Tongue
I always found that I could at least stay awake reading the Bible. 50 or so verses of the Koran are better than Sominex!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
01-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Something that was pretty disturbing to me, the constant use of the tactic of "she's not my wife, wait why did you come onto my wife?", "Damn you (pick one of the main men of genesis' name)". That was pretty bothersome.

Also in Genesis how about the horrible story about Joseph who is thrown in a hole by his brothers, picked up by slave traders, sold to Egypt, and takes it over by making predictions? Everything about that fucking story is so against Egypt.

What makes these things offensive to me? If this is supposed to be history it should play out more like history. If these men are the direct mouthpieces of god why are they some of the worst people in the book?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
02-05-2012, 11:12 PM
And another thing...

When you read stuff, you simulate the mind of another from the words. That's how you feel sympathy or repulsion for characters in a story, dig? But the Bible was written by prophets - and they're all nutbags - so that when you read that shit, your mind is simulating insanity. Read enough of that shit, and it ain't a simulation no morez...

Amirite? Or amirite? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2012, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 10:33 PM by socken.)
(29-04-2012 11:30 PM)aurora Wrote:  May I suggest an easier way to read the bible?

Click on the thread 'An Atheist Critique of The Bible' by Buddy Christ as this is a much easier version to digest (and much more fun).

If not, then I suggest a 40 litre bucket by your side! Yes
Thanks, I'll do that.

(30-04-2012 08:16 PM)Jedah Wrote:  Why am I doing this? Cuz I want to know more & deep about this shit than the people who believe it. So I can rebuke them with their own words.
That's why I think I should read it, too.
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 12:39 AM by GirlyMan.)
I read the whole thing cover to cover twice in my youth. But now I only read the Red Letters. Stopped letting the peanut gallery provide context decades ago. I can provide my own context. Don't need no help. And don't see much difference between the Red Letters and the Buddha.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-05-2012, 06:52 AM
If the Bible puts you to sleep, don't try to read the Book of Mormon, it's even more redundant and mind numbing... I tried to read it a while back, after the 20+ time every verse started with the same phrase, I gave up. Anyone else tried to read the Book of Mormon?
05-05-2012, 08:12 AM
(30-04-2012 09:24 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Just read the damn thing. Like R rated movies provide any less shock factor.
Absolutely correct. Just read it, it is boring, disgusting and terrifying at points but if you want to know how to respond to a theist it helps to know their starting point. I read the KJV and did it over a period of time. Maybe it is because I read a lot about history and religion but I found nothing original, inspiring or revelatory in it.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume