I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
RE: I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive
I think the only way to really find anything revelatory in the book is to look for that. People are told it should be there so they look for it and find what they can consider revelatory. Seriously the few times I've been in church hearing the preacher talk about this amazing passage that says so much. I always just thought it was a regular statement. Not even slightly impressive to a 5 year old.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
07-05-2012, 12:24 AM
RE: I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive
(29-04-2012 09:04 PM)socken Wrote:  Sometimes I'll look at the odd scripture to see what podcasters or bloggers are referring to, etc., but that's about it. I don't want to be a quote miner; I want to be able to cite it intelligently.
And I know I should read the bible--really, I think I should--but I feel after 35 years (I'm 50 now) of having it shoved down my throat in a selective manner, and always HATING going to church in the first place, it's pretty repulsive to me.
Today I found myself looking at the issue of the end of the book of Mark being tacked on after the fact, and reading the account of Jesus' death and resurrection. I was stunned at how it made me feel, or rather, the feelings it recalled: I found myself feeling something like a reverent sorrow, like "that poor Jesus, so persecuted for us, and he took it all like a champ, and then the pain, and then having it all be worth it cuz he came back to life and triumphed..." It was like a powerful vacuum from the past, sucking me in. Of course, I wasn't buying any of it, but the FEELINGS....It's hard to describe. (Plus I still think Handel's Messiah is some of the most beautiful music out there, including "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth." I allow myself this, but still have a hard time listening to it. Mixed up, I know.)
Maybe this is why I don't read the bible more: this visceral reaction. How sick!!! My young Princeton-educated non-believing daughter accused me of of still believing on some level (we had a long-into-the-night discussion last xmas on my preoccupation with the harms and evil of religion). I don't think it's that I believe; I think it's this emotional conditioning.
Still, I'd like to be able to read the stupid thing without having this distasteful reaction. Ugh! Anyone else have this type of experience?

All you need is here: The Skeptic's Annotated Bible Thumbsup

They also have the Quran and the Book of Mormon, too! Freakin' brilliant!

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply