I know correlation doesn't imply causation but...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 08:45 AM
I know correlation doesn't imply causation but...
First, this is a completely stupid and pointless topic. Read at your own risk.

You've been warned.

So. Anyway. I can't be scared. Like, not at all. No haunted house, scary movie, or creepy situation scares me. It just doesn't. My brother and I are like that.

So, I started thinking... what's scary?

It's broken down into two things: natural and supernatural.

Why is supernatural scary? Because of people's belief in the supernatural... duh. So, it plays on the unknown and the unprovable.

So, pretty much, religious people *should* be the only ones affected by supernatural horror.

An atheist doesn't believe in it, so they *should* be completely unaffected.

Why is natural scary?

Because it's something that can actually happen... this *should* affect everyone.

By the way, "natural" horror are movies like slashers and Saw... or a serial killer... psychopath... pretty much some person killing people.

Over the years, I've noticed slashers are becoming more prevalent in the horror genre which means that more and more people are being unaffected by the supernatural... which means, more and more people are becoming irreligious... which can be backed up by the rise in atheism.

*whew*

So, what does this mean for me?

I'm not affected by either.

So... am I not religious or irreligious?

Hrmmmmm Consider

Or, does it mean I'm so content in my situation that nothing bothers me?

Hrmmmmm Consider

The latter could be back up my my Calvinistic point of view.

Who knows.

And the dumbest part is that I absolutely love any and all horror... I watch every horror movie I can.

I don't really like slashers, though. They bore me.

Why do I like horror if I'm not scared? Is it because I like a challenge?

Too many stupid questions.

Carry on.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 08:49 AM
RE: I know correlation doesn't imply causation but...
I can attest to being scared by supernatural horror flicks back in the day. A couple years back I realized, why the frak am I still scared by that crap? Now, not so much. But now I dislike a lot of the genre because I think it propagates the continued acceptance of the supernatural.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-04-2013, 08:51 AM
(15-04-2013 08:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  First, this is a completely stupid and pointless topic. Read at your own risk.

You've been warned.

So. Anyway. I can't be scared. Like, not at all. No haunted house, scary movie, or creepy situation scares me. It just doesn't. My brother and I are like that.

So, I started thinking... what's scary?

It's broken down into two things: natural and supernatural.

Why is supernatural scary? Because of people's belief in the supernatural... duh. So, it plays on the unknown and the unprovable.

So, pretty much, religious people *should* be the only ones affected by supernatural horror.

An atheist doesn't believe in it, so they *should* be completely unaffected.

Why is natural scary?

Because it's something that can actually happen... this *should* affect everyone.

By the way, "natural" horror are movies like slashers and Saw... or a serial killer... psychopath... pretty much some person killing people.

Over the years, I've noticed slashers are becoming more prevalent in the horror genre which means that more and more people are being unaffected by the supernatural... which means, more and more people are becoming irreligious... which can be backed up by the rise in atheism.

*whew*

So, what does this mean for me?

I'm not affected by either.

So... am I not religious or irreligious?

Hrmmmmm Consider

Or, does it mean I'm so content in my situation that nothing bothers me?

Hrmmmmm Consider

The latter could be back up my my Calvinistic point of view.

Who knows.

And the dumbest part is that I absolutely love any and all horror... I watch every horror movie I can.

I don't really like slashers, though. They bore me.

Why do I like horror if I'm not scared? Is it because I like a challenge?

Too many stupid questions.

Carry on.

I'm scared by both (I'm such a big fucking pussy). I don't believe in the supernatural, but Freddie and Jason scare the piss out of me and Pet Cemetery is just fucked-up. They don't scare me any less while I am watching them if I say to myself "this isn't real." That doesn't fucking help. Because the movies are about telling stories in worlds where it IS real. And that is enough. In that movie, to those characters, it is real.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
15-04-2013, 08:58 AM
We've evolved a fear of agency... false positives blah, blah.

I can't quite understand why people who think they are destined for a better place would worry about death at all.

It therefore makes perfect sense to hold your instinctive position and the question is why does any Calvanist fear anything? And why would they not want to get to that better place as soon as possible?

I too am similarly unaffected by horror movies... they are way too predictable. So I don't watch them... just a waste of time.

I too have no fear of death but for different reasons, obviously.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-04-2013, 09:07 AM
(15-04-2013 08:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  First, this is a completely stupid and pointless topic.

Par for the course. Tongue

I'm scared for my Gwynnies. Aren't you scared for your QC? It's an evolutionary mandate, part of the "simulation of future" baggage. Without a natural predator, it is only natural that adult fear derives from being wary of our fellow man.

So why aren't you scared? Faith is a powerful drug, ain't it? Big Grin

And "fear of the unknown" tends towards zero once we begin to learn about ourselves and our environment.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-04-2013, 09:11 AM
(15-04-2013 08:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm such a big pussy.

Eco-terrorist. I see trees. I got a chainsaw...

shhh....shhh....shhh...shhh. ha....ha....ha...ha Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-04-2013, 09:16 AM
KC, I'm curious if you've ever lived through something scary before? A bully beating you up, held at gun point, came across a hiking path with a big bear- something that was out of your control and you felt helpless, something that made you realize true danger?

Was the time you guys had the stuff stolen not scary? I think I remember you getting ready to protect- was this just matter of fact, or did you feel a little overwhelmed at all? Maybe instead of fear anger?

If you have 'mastered fear' I truly admire that, it's something I work really hard at doing. Enjoy your freedom. Smile
15-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Haunted houses and other crap never scares me...I'm a total buzz kill at Halloween.

One guy dressed as a zombie once got in my face and said he was going to "eat me" my only reply was.."ok...but just so ya know, my husband and kid are over there. Maybe later." the guy totally broke character and burst out laughing. Same haunted house dude jumped out in front of me with a chain saw and put my hands up and meekly said "eek" he lowered the saw and shook his head, dejected.

Now this haunted house was known for scaring the shit out of people...

Real life stuff scares me more...Think it's about control.

It's like being tired up and knowing that your completely vulnerable to the person who tied you up. That total loss of control can be terrifying but in the right hands can be freeing too.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-04-2013, 10:16 AM
(15-04-2013 09:38 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's like being tired up and knowing that your completely vulnerable to the person who tied you up. That total loss of control can be terrifying but in the right hands can be freeing too.

You should know the drill by now: Pix or it didn't happen. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-04-2013, 10:42 AM
(15-04-2013 10:16 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 09:38 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's like being tired up and knowing that your completely vulnerable to the person who tied you up. That total loss of control can be terrifying but in the right hands can be freeing too.

You should know the drill by now: Pix or it didn't happen. Drinking Beverage

And I should risk the ban hammer falling on me for that?
I was only pointing out the irony of being tied up.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post