I like how science is popping up in Common Core

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2014, 03:38 PM
I like how science is popping up in Common Core
So my kids were in a college prep private school the last few years, this year we moved and now they are in public in one of the better districts in SC. They are using Common Core that has been all thru the news.

This is just the 2nd week of school, and it's just review time, but this was the question on my daughters worksheet tonight.

[Image: 0ae6774f-6c36-4abd-8eb6-93064c658bb2_zps7d2ef695.jpg]

I like how they talk about stars in everyday questions

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-08-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: I like how science is popping up in Common Core
Meanwhile down here:

"Jimmy has brought 10 apples for his mother, but he can only carry three at a time; calculate the mass of Earth."

Side Note: What the fuck is this 'Common Core' anyway? The name is really stupid.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Can I ask for which grade this is?
29-08-2014, 08:17 AM
4th - age 9.

And this is review material to get the kids back into the swing of things. The overall lesson was on place values of large numbers.

It seems to me that the public school is a year behind the college prep private we were in for math, but is more hands on in science experiments at this age.

There's good and bad to both.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
29-08-2014, 09:02 AM
(28-08-2014 06:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Meanwhile down here:

"Jimmy has brought 10 apples for his mother, but he can only carry three at a time; calculate the mass of Earth."

Side Note: What the fuck is this 'Common Core' anyway? The name is really stupid.

It is america trying to be smart.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
29-08-2014, 10:21 AM
(29-08-2014 09:02 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(28-08-2014 06:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Meanwhile down here:

It is america trying to be smart.

Protip, 'Murica: Alliteration does not make you seem smarter. Kinda makes you look pretentious, specially with this particular display.
Why not just set a 'Unified Curriculum' throughout all education centres and shaddup.
Also; submit to the loving embrace of Metric. You know you want to.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.