I like shooting down Bible contradictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2011, 07:01 PM
RE: I like shooting down Bible contradictions
(14-11-2011 06:55 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 06:49 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 06:35 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Wait, why does that have to go? I've already seen some of the good things in God's plans for my life as they unfolded. For instance, I'm no longer afraid to hug my friends, which would not have happened if it weren't for God.

A tad off topic but why were you afraid to hug your friends? if it's not to personal to ask.

And couldn't the fact you are no longer afraid to do that speak more to your own ability to overcome an obstacle rather than the interference of an outside force?

By friends, he is probably talking about random people in church or on the street he hands a pamphlet to. I do not really like random people coming up and hugging me, unless she is hot, then I don't mind.

On a more serious note I am thinking of buying a new mouse, what do you guys think of,
Corsair Vengeance M90

Sweet. I like them Razors, but I'm poor. Sad

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2011, 07:04 PM
(14-11-2011 06:49 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 06:35 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Wait, why does that have to go? I've already seen some of the good things in God's plans for my life as they unfolded. For instance, I'm no longer afraid to hug my friends, which would not have happened if it weren't for God.

A tad off topic but why were you afraid to hug your friends? if it's not to personal to ask.

And couldn't the fact you are no longer afraid to do that speak more to your own ability to overcome an obstacle rather than the interference of an outside force?

Well, I go into much more detail on this in my topic on the introduction forum.

And to answer your other question, no. I wouldn't have overcome that on my own, ever. In fact, my intentions were to not ever have close friends again.

(14-11-2011 06:55 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  By friends, he is probably talking about random people in church or on the street he hands a pamphlet to. I do not really like random people coming up and hugging me, unless she is hot, then I don't mind.

Not at all. I'm talking about friends in general, like the friends you have. And I'm not talking about just hugging girls/girlfriends, but hugging guys and girls, as friends.
Find all posts by this user
14-11-2011, 07:07 PM
(14-11-2011 07:04 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  And to answer your other question, no. I wouldn't have overcome that on my own, ever. In fact, my intentions were to not ever have close friends again.

Which means you are arguing the god within, not the god without. "God changing your life" is still limited to the conditional: you.

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-11-2011, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 07:21 PM by Azaraith.)
(14-11-2011 06:35 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 06:17 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  lawl. The fact that science changes is because it is getting better. Our understanding of the natural world's processes improves over time and the text books are updated to reflect that. The Bible was written when people had little to no understanding of natural processes and instead they put together their explanation for how things were.

And yet somehow they knew the earth was floating in space and not being held up by some elephant or turtle. (Job 26:7, and ironically enough Job is the oldest written book of the Bible.) If you don't believe Job 26:7, just look at photographs of the earth from space.

Even more lol worthy. Point out one aspect you think the Bible got right, therefore the Bible didn't get lots wrong. The fact that they didn't claim it was on the back of turtles means the Bible is scientifically accurate? :/ Ok, I cannot teleport. I am now fully correct when it comes to the topic of physics.

Try Noah and the ark. There is absolutely no evidence for a global flood, not enough water on earth to submerge the planet completely, too many creatures needed to have current diversity of species (even assuming evolution at rapid pace) to fit on the ark and we're supposed to believe a man a) lived to 600 years old (IIRC), b) built the ark to hold all the animals solo and c) took care of EVERY LIVING CREATURE for 40 days & nights with only himself and his family? Scientifically ridiculous.

Then there's the fact that the Bible claims rabbits chew their cud (Leviticus 11:6) and that bats are birds (Deuteronomy 14:11-18). I would go on, but I have a feeling I'd only be wasting my time.

Quote:It's wrong and always will be, because it doesn't change. That is a very ignorant stance, by the very definition of the word.

It's wrong that the earth is floating in space and not being held up by an elephant or turtle? That doesn't make sense.

derp. Of course I think the earth is held up by a turtle because I think the Bible is scientifically inaccurate. LMAO! I didn't state that every conceivably scientific statement in the Bible is false, I stated that it is wrong. On many, many accounts it is. On the whole, it is more wrong than it is right. It's completely fair to say that the Bible is wrong scientifically even when a few statements can be interpreted as being correct.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 3 users Like Azaraith's post
14-11-2011, 08:10 PM
(14-11-2011 07:18 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  On the whole, it is more wrong than it is right. It's completely fair to say that the Bible is wrong scientifically even when a few statements can be interpreted as being correct.

Absolutely. As a *cough, cough* prophet *cough, cough* I would contend that cold storage DNA and the planet Venus offer clues into the "mind of God" when considering Noah... but this ain't no "prophet forum." Big Grin

Besides, "prophet" is a "god within" consideration. Wink

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-11-2011, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 11:59 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(14-11-2011 09:58 AM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(13-11-2011 11:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  3. Matthew spends the entire Chapter 1, establishing the lineage of Jesus through Joseph, (the Davidic line), and then says, Joseph was NOT the father ??

I've already solved this one on my website. I'll copy/paste the page for you.

and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
Matthew 1:16

Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph, the son of Heli,
Luke 3:23

The Claim: Joseph had 2 different fathers. How is that possible?

The Explaination: In order to understand the matter at hand, we need to know some more things about the lineage Matthew and Luke traced. Matthew traced the lineage through Joseph, while Luke traced the lineage through Mary.

Matthew is tracing the lineage through Jeconiah, who is mentioned in Matthew 1:12. In Jeremiah 22:28-30, a prophecy is given that "none of his offspring will prosper, none will sit on the throne of David." (verse 30) Fortunately, Jesus was born of a virgin, which avoids this potential problem. Another thing to note is that Jeconiah comes from the line of Solomon, son of King David.

Luke on the other hand, traces the lineage through Mary. This is evidenced through the fact that Luke's lineage (Luke 3:23-37) does not mention Jeconiah at all, and the prophecy of Jeremiah 22:28-30 still stands. Now Heli came from the line of Nathan, the other son of King David. Nathan is not mentioned in Matthew's line, and Solomon was not mentioned in Luke's line. In relation to the prophecy regarding Jeconiah, Mary was not from Jeconiah's line, because Jeconiah came from the line of Solomon, whereas Mary came from the Line of Nathan.

Now to answer the question, "how can joseph have 2 fathers?" The answer from this point is quite simple. When Joseph married Mary, Heli became Joseph's father-in-law, while Jacob remains the biological father of Joseph, according to Matthew 1:16. There is no contradiction here.

Quote:7. After Paul's conversion, Acts says he immediately went to Damascus, and then Jerusalem. In Gallations he says he is not lying that he did not go to Jerusalem for three years ??

Well, without even looking up the verses, I could see how this could not be a contradiction. Paul went immediately to Damascus, but that doesn't mean he immediately went to Jerusalem. "Then he went to Jerusalem," then could easily represent 3 years later. I'd have to see the specific Bible verses to get into more detail than that.

(14-11-2011 12:22 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  3) Jacob sees God face to face (Genesis 32:30), yet John 1:18 states that "No one has ever seen God; the only God [referencing Jesus, I presume based on context], who is at the Father's side, he has made him known." In other words, the author (John) is stating that no one has seen God (the Father) and that Jesus is making him known. Yet Jacob is supposed to have seen God face to face back in Genesis, even wrestled with him.

And here I thought you weren't taking things out of context. Another one I've already answered. Yay for more copy/paste from my site.

So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."
Genesis 32:30

"But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."
Exodus 33:20

The Claim: Jacob saw God's face and lived, and this contradicts what Exodus 33:20 says.

The Explaination: This is one of those instances of taking a Bible verse out of context. In this case, it's Genesis 32:30 that is out of context. To remedy this, let's start by reading Genesis 32:22-30.

That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two maidservants and his eleven sons and crossed ford of the Jabbok. After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions. So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak."

But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." The man asked him, "What is your name?" "Jacob," he answered. Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."

Jacob said, "Please tell me your name." But he replied, "Why do you ask my name?" Then he blessed him there.

So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."
Genesis 32:22-30

Ok, there's a lot going on here, so let's start by addressing verse 24, which says, "So Jacob was left alone, and a MAN wrestled with him..." Clearly Jacob was wrestling with a man, and not God Almighty himself, because as Exodus 33:20 states, no man can see God's face and live. It is further evidenced that this is a man in verse 28, where the man says, "...you have struggled with God AND WITH MEN..."

So who was this man that was wrestling with Jacob? He did not give his name, but this much is clear. The man was sent by God to wrestle with Jacob. So in verse 30 when Jacob says he saw God face to face, what Jacob actually saw was a man that was sent by God. This is not a contradiction.
(14-11-2011 03:40 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  You have not found any contradictions, because you are so biased that even when they are pointed out you simply ignore them.

Nah, I don't ignore them, I actually research them. I have to wonder though, you guys are intelligent and like thinking critically. Did you guys do any research at all into these alleged contradictions, because a lot of them look very silly if you just open up a Bible and read it?

(14-11-2011 06:12 AM)Jakel Wrote:  The context is the creation of man. In genesis 1:31 God is pleased with his work, and genesis 6:6 says God has second thoughts about hes creation.

Of course people can change their minds. But we are talking about God here. He is supposed to know what he is doing, which he’s clearly not!

Oh, God does know what he's doing. God knew the consequences of giving man free will. Also, before the fall of Adam & Eve, God already had plans for a Savoir.

Quote:You really are brainwashed aren't you. Damn I'm almost feeling sorry for you.. facts and evidence can be shown to you right infront of your face and your just too scared to realize the truth: There is no God. Jesus wasn't real and Budda is fat.

I'm brainwashed now? I disagree. Those are facts now? I'd like to see you prove to me that God isn't real and Jesus didn't exist. Don't know much about Budda, so I'll give you that one. And please try to do more than just throw around speculation. I find doubt on its own to be very weak.

Quote:Ya know it's OKAY to stand up with dignity and say "We don't have all the answers yet as to our origins, but we've got a pretty good idea and we are constantly searching for more answers through science and discovery."

Why is it ok for you guys to say "we don't have all the answers yet," but when I say "I can't fully understand God," you cry foul?

Quote:It's okay megamaster, I know that stuff like this hurts your head and it can be hard to handle.. I can understand where you religious people have this faith and hope of one day going to a wonderful place called heaven where the streets are gold. Now why you'd want to spend the rest of eternity kissing the ass of some all mighty dictator and oppressive slave driver is beyond me.... but that's your heaven not mine.

It doesn't hurt my head. I like it when things fit together, which is why I like showing how Bible contradictions aren't really contradictions. You just can't expect me to answer all 40 of them in 5 minutes, let's be realistic. Bombarding me with stuff isn't going to change my views or anything.

Actually, you haven't "solved" anything. You have rationalized the obvious contradiction to YOUR OWN satisfaction, that's all. Sad that you are SO desperate to keep you world view in place that you can't face that which is staring you in the face. I DO understand that it is scary to have to think about what you would do, if and when you decide to give up the fables, and face facts. Where did you get your PhD in scripture ?

Oh, also, "In order for there to actually be a contradiction, there should be no way of explaining my way out of it. And I'm not going to try and use phrases like "why can't it be both?" because that isn't even good enough for me. Why would I expect it to be good enough for you. Instead of just stopping with saying it could be both, I aim to go a step further and show how it can be both."

Actually, just because YOU have decided for yourself, (and no one else), that that is your personal safe little definition of a contradiction, doesn't mean it means anything, or is true, or makes any sense. In fact it makes no sence. Anyone can rationalize anything.

"Matthew is tracing the lineage through Jeconiah, who is mentioned in Matthew 1:12. In Jeremiah 22:28-30, a prophecy is given that "none of his offspring will prosper, none will sit on the throne of David." (verse 30) Fortunately, Jesus was born of a virgin, which avoids this potential problem. Another thing to note is that Jeconiah comes from the line of Solomon, son of King David."

THAT does nothing to explain why Matthew spends the ENTIRE chapter tracing the line through Joseph, and then says Yeshua was born of a "woman of marriageable age", (see my other posts on the "virgin birth" thread). He NEVER said Yeshua was born of a "virgin". THAT is a mistranslation, of a translation, of a mistranslation. Sorry. Cool

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-11-2011, 10:00 PM
(14-11-2011 06:08 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 05:31 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Hey Megabraindead guy.... whatever yer name is...

I've got a question for you.. no no.. get over yer feelings gettin hurt cause I'm referring to you as brainwashed.. now pay close attention to this next question..

Oh, I don't care what your opinion of me is. Your opinion of me has no real value, I'm just pointing out that insults aren't really getting you anywhere. I care more about God's opinion than yours.

Quote:Why? OH WHY? Does God never answer the prayers of amputee's? Hrmm?? There is no recorded case of an amputee anywhere in the world ever of any person having their limb's regrow back through prayer.

Funny you should bring that up. I was talking with one of my Christian friends the other day, and he's reporting to me a lot of divine healings taking place, one such instance being "growing a leg." He didn't have time to give me more details, but I'm sure I'll hear more next time I talk with him.

BULLSHIT! Show me the proof .. show this entire forum the proof of this "growing a leg" story.. show the news article.. the date.. and where it happened.. what was the amputee's name.. what faith was his following.. and that includes medical records of the "leg growth"... you and your friend is full of shit and you know it.. you can't prove it.. I know you can't prove it because it didn't happen.. ..now don't go complaining about me insulting you this time around because I didn't.. no excuses..

My CHALLENGE to you megamaster125... PROVE that this "leg growth" of this amputee actually happened by providing links to the website covering the story.. copies of the doctor's medical files on this subject... and this individual's faith and prayers for his missing leg to be givin back by God's power through prayer guarantee given in the Bible...

You can't prove it can you? Your full of shit.. St. Paul was full of shit.. Christianity is full of shit.. the idea of Jesus is full of shit...

....... hrmm I didn't get struck by lightening so I guess my blasphemy went unseen by your God just now.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
14-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm getting confused... Who is megamaster trying to convince? Us or himself?
14-11-2011, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 10:26 PM by houseofcantor.)
(14-11-2011 10:00 PM)ddrew Wrote:  St. Paul was full of shit..

Hey! off the Paul. Don't make me pull a Zeus on you - make you go Hey, Zeus. Big Grin
(14-11-2011 10:05 PM)Jakel Wrote:  I'm getting confused... Who is megamaster trying to convince? Us or himself?

That may be too existential for the scope of this thread.

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-11-2011, 10:28 PM
(14-11-2011 09:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually, you haven't "solved" anything. You have rationalized the obvious contradiction to YOUR OWN satisfaction, that's all. Sad that you are SO desperate to keep you world view in place that you can't face that which is staring you in the face. I DO understand that it is scary to have to think about what you would do, if and when you decide to give up the fables, and face facts. Where did you get your PhD in scripture ?

What's in front of my face is list of things that aren't really contradictions. And a PhD in scripture isn't required to read the Bible, so I don't see why I'd need one.

Quote:Oh, also, "In order for there to actually be a contradiction, there should be no way of explaining my way out of it. And I'm not going to try and use phrases like "why can't it be both?" because that isn't even good enough for me. Why would I expect it to be good enough for you. Instead of just stopping with saying it could be both, I aim to go a step further and show how it can be both."

Actually, just because YOU have decided for yourself, (and no one else), that that is your personal safe little definition of a contradiction, doesn't mean it means anything, or is true, or makes any sense. In fact it makes no sence. Anyone can rationalize anything.

I'm using the definition of a contradiction as it was provided. If I show how it's possible for the verses to coexist and not be a logical impossiblity, then quite simply, there's no contradiction. And quite frankly, I don't care if you agree with that or not.

(14-11-2011 10:00 PM)ddrew Wrote:  BULLSHIT! Show me the proof .. show this entire forum the proof of this "growing a leg" story.. show the news article.. the date.. and where it happened.. what was the amputee's name.. what faith was his following.. and that includes medical records of the "leg growth"... you and your friend is full of shit and you know it.. you can't prove it.. I know you can't prove it because it didn't happen.. ..now don't go complaining about me insulting you this time around because I didn't.. no excuses..

My CHALLENGE to you megamaster125... PROVE that this "leg growth" of this amputee actually happened by providing links to the website covering the story.. copies of the doctor's medical files on this subject... and this individual's faith and prayers for his missing leg to be givin back by God's power through prayer guarantee given in the Bible...

You can't prove it can you? Your full of shit.. St. Paul was full of shit.. Christianity is full of shit.. the idea of Jesus is full of shit...

Wow, someone just got offeneded. First of all, I came right out and said I didn't have all the details yet. Secondly, I never claimed there was a news story. Third, even if there was a news story and all the other things you're demanding, you still would deny it. Fourth, you claim my christian friend is lying to another Christian (myself). That claim is just plain foolishness and illogical. There's no motive for my friend to lie to me. My friend telling me these things was not so I could believe, because I already believe. And if my friend was lying to me (which btw, I'm going to take his word over some random atheist's claim) that would just be a sin.

Edit: And btw, the faith is obviously Christianity, to answer that question of yours.

Quote:....... hrmm I didn't get struck by lightening so I guess my blasphemy went unseen by your God just now.

What Bible verse says blasphemy results in getting struck down by lightning? See, this is why I don't think you atheists have actually read the Bible.

And if you did expect God to strike you down with lightning, then the fact that God didn't is proof of God's mercy.

(14-11-2011 10:05 PM)Jakel Wrote:  I'm getting confused... Who is megamaster trying to convince? Us or himself?

I didn't intend to convince anyone, that wasn't the purpose of this topic originally. People came in here and started shifted the topic to a variety of other things. Meh, I don't really mind. And I don't need convincing. I stand firm on my beliefs.