I like shooting down Bible contradictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2011, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 10:57 PM by Jakel.)
RE: I like shooting down Bible contradictions
(14-11-2011 10:28 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 10:05 PM)Jakel Wrote:  I'm getting confused... Who is megamaster trying to convince? Us or himself?

I didn't intend to convince anyone, that wasn't the purpose of this topic originally. People came in here and started shifted the topic to a variety of other things. Meh, I don't really mind. And I don't need convincing. I stand firm on my beliefs.

(14-11-2011 10:28 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  I always get people telling me that the Bible is filled with contradictions, but I have yet to find an actual contradiction. So, if you each had to pick one alleged contradiction, which would it be? (yes, I'm aware of the big list on this site, but I can't address them all simultaneously, hence this topic)

Yes you are. Why on earth would you post this on a forum if not? I thought you tried to convince people here, but the more you write the more it looks like you are trying to convince yourself, since you keep ignoring all the flaws in your arguments.

EDIT: Sorry. Just realised I might not have been specific enough. I'm talking ofcourse about convincing us that there is no bible contradictions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Jakel's post
14-11-2011, 10:52 PM
(14-11-2011 10:28 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  What Bible verse says blasphemy results in getting struck down by lightning? See, this is why I don't think you atheists have actually read the Bible.

I was being sarcastic but it's hard to hear the sarcasim in text forums. But let me tell you my credentials on the bible.

I recently spent the past year in a "men's Christian Rehabilitation Ministry" called "The Bible Tabernacle"

Everyday for the past year I woke up at 5:30am to report to morning bible study/reading at 6:00am until 7:30am where I read the bible for that hour and half every day... in the evenings I would attend Bible Study sermons from 6:15pm to 7:30pm where pastors would preach the "word of God"... EVERY FUCKING DAY for a year.. so don't assume to me that I don't know the bible... I probrably know that fictionous crap better than you do. NO GAMES. NO TELEVISION. NO LEAVING THE CAMP GROUNDS... NOTHING but the study of God.

Now ... you fucking tell me how I have so much hatred for this imaginary piece of shit God you hold so dearly to your heart? You see I'm a different kind of Atheist.. I hate the idea of religion.. I hate the idea of God.. The oppressive nature of God is an insult to the nature of humanity!!

God to me is a symbol of slavery.. control.. opression... and I REJECT everything the idea that this God stands for..

Your religion scares society with damnation and eternal torment in hell for sins for which we never even commited by a generation 6000 years ago.. what the fuck kind of madness is that??

I reject the holy spirit... I reject Jesus... and I reject God..

That is what a years worth of "The Bible Tabernacle" left me with. Any confusion or contradiction in that Megabraindead125 ??

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 4 users Like ddrew's post
14-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Here ya go, Drew...
[Image: 2011-11-14_222051.png]

... little behind on the meds. Big Grin

Drew is not wrong, per se; a little uptight, perhaps, but completely understandable, considering.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-11-2011, 11:23 PM
(14-11-2011 11:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Here ya go, Drew...
[Image: 2011-11-14_222051.png]

... little behind on the meds. Big Grin

Drew is not wrong, per se; a little uptight, perhaps, but completely understandable, considering.

hahahah!! Amen Brother.... Tongue

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post
14-11-2011, 11:26 PM
"What's in front of my face is list of things that aren't really contradictions. And a PhD in scripture isn't required to read the Bible, so I don't see why I'd need one." We aren't talking about "reading" the bible. We are talking about logical contradictions. And YOU said they were not contradictions if YOU could "explain your way out of it". THAT is NOT the definition of a contradiction, and anyway,who is going to decide that you have satisfacorily explained away the apparent contradiction, or that it makes sense logically, or scripturally ? You ?

It's very clear you have very little higher education in scripture. And they may or may not be contradictions. They are what they are, no matter what YOU say about them, or how you attempt to rationalize them. Cool

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-11-2011, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 11:38 PM by megamaster125.)
(14-11-2011 10:52 PM)ddrew Wrote:  I was being sarcastic but it's hard to hear the sarcasim in text forums. But let me tell you my credentials on the bible.

I recently spent the past year in a "men's Christian Rehabilitation Ministry" called "The Bible Tabernacle"

Everyday for the past year I woke up at 5:30am to report to morning bible study/reading at 6:00am until 7:30am where I read the bible for that hour and half every day... in the evenings I would attend Bible Study sermons from 6:15pm to 7:30pm where pastors would preach the "word of God"... EVERY FUCKING DAY for a year.. so don't assume to me that I don't know the bible... I probrably know that fictionous crap better than you do. NO GAMES. NO TELEVISION. NO LEAVING THE CAMP GROUNDS... NOTHING but the study of God.

Now ... you fucking tell me how I have so much hatred for this imaginary piece of shit God you hold so dearly to your heart? You see I'm a different kind of Atheist.. I hate the idea of religion.. I hate the idea of God.. The oppressive nature of God is an insult to the nature of humanity!!

God to me is a symbol of slavery.. control.. opression... and I REJECT everything the idea that this God stands for..

Your religion scares society with damnation and eternal torment in hell for sins for which we never even commited by a generation 6000 years ago.. what the fuck kind of madness is that??

I reject the holy spirit... I reject Jesus... and I reject God..

That is what a years worth of "The Bible Tabernacle" left me with. Any confusion or contradiction in that Megabraindead125 ??

Yes, I am confused a bit. Just one question should clear things up for me. Who's the one that chose to subject himself to "The Bible Tabernacle?" That would be like the time I volunteered as a camp counselor and then afterwards complaining that I was a camp counselor.
(14-11-2011 10:45 PM)Jakel Wrote:  EDIT: Sorry. Just realised I might not have been specific enough. I'm talking ofcourse about convincing us that there is no bible contradictions.

Oh, ok, when I said I wasn't trying to convince people, I was talking about convincing them to come to christianity. Just a misunderstanding, I should have been more specific.
14-11-2011, 11:39 PM
(14-11-2011 11:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Drew is not wrong, per se; a little uptight, perhaps, but completely understandable, considering.

Yeah I'm a bit angry... My life was fine and dandy till it was thrown into that mess of scriptures and crap..

I had a whole camp of 70 brainwashed idiots.. hang on.. lemme say that one more time.. brainwashed idiots.. fuckin try to tell me that i was a sinner for somthing I didn't even do.. my mother was a sinner for somthing .. I DIDN'T do..

awwwhhh fuck it.. YOU ARE ALL SINNERS YOU BASTARDS!! YOU ALL DESERVE AN ETERNAL DAMNATION IN HELL FIRE!! How DARE your fathers before you commit those acts of sin!! You bastages!! Hell and torment be upon you!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Yeah if your thinking WTF is with this guy?? Exactly.. WTF is with that religion??

[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
14-11-2011, 11:39 PM
(14-11-2011 06:23 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Things I have as a Christian that atheists don't have (and this isn't meant to be an all-inclusive list either).

I have:

1. God in my life.
2. God's plan for good things in my life.
3. Forgiveness of sins.
4. A level of love, joy, and peace that can't be attained anywhere else.
5. A personal relationship with God.
6. Spiritual gifts.

You're not at the point being able to claim any of these things in any meaningful way here. You started this thread with a challenge to Atheists. Props for the cajones that took, but you came here with a self-aggrandizing handle and a boast about how you love shooting down Bible contradictions and haven't lived up to either. In the first reply to your original post Azaraith characterized the typical rationalizations of this type as "apologist acrobatics" and that's all we've seen here. If you're right then we're just a bunch of ignorant non-believers and you have a book that was all but written by the hand of an omniscient creator being. How hard should this be for you?

If you want to believe you have these things in your life by all means live your life as you see fit. I would never begrudge you this and if anyone else would I'd stand by you to tell them they are wrong to do so. However, I can only wish I had the linguistic prowess needed to convey just how meaningless items 1,2,3 and 5 from your list are to someone who doesn't share your belief that God exists. (Number 4 seems like just another example of the hubris evident from the "megamaster" handle while 6 is just too vague to mean much of anything - though please please please don't take this as an invitation to elaborate... really.) Just what good is personal relationship with a being that doesn't exist? In the end the best you can achieve with this argument is to contend the benefits of the placebo outweigh the cost of one's grip on reality. Maybe that's really what you're trying to say here, but if so please be more up front about it in the interests of honesty.

Lastly, it's one thing to talk about the benefits you think your beliefs have brought to you but when you talk about others as though they lack something if they don't share in those beliefs it just makes you look like an ass, and while I think you'd do well to temper the chip on the shoulder approach I don't think you are an ass. Telling an Atheist that they lack something in their life, that there's a void in their life that could be filled only if they believed as you did, reveals only that you have been mislead by an unfounded prejudice which is in need of correction.

You seem to like analogies, so imagine a white man approaching a groups of blacks and offering them a way to become as smart as caucasians. That's very much along the lines of what is being heard when you talk about what "atheists don't have". If you don't think that's fair please consider that Atheists are in many places, including the United States, a strongly discriminated against (though not visible) minority. You have no business telling me or any other Atheist that we are suffering due to some sort of spiritual void. If your beliefs tell you that non-believers must be miserable then that's one more strike against your beliefs.

All these singularly valuable gifts you and others who share in your faith say you have and non-believers lack, and yet Christians are no more fulfilled than Atheists. Factor in the fact the Atheists face social discrimination in many parts of the world in fact and it starts to look like things are the other way around entirely. How can this be with all those precious gifts you claim to have? If you want to stick with the contention that Atheists lack something I'd say that requires some explaining on your part.
[+] 3 users Like Eye Sage's post
14-11-2011, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 11:50 PM by ddrew.)
(14-11-2011 11:37 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Yes, I am confused a bit. Just one question should clear things up for me. Who's the one that chose to subject himself to "The Bible Tabernacle?" That would be like the time I volunteered as a camp counselor and then afterwards complaining that I was a camp counselor.

Well I had to make that choice to subject myself to that place... the choice was this... options are

1. Be homeless
2. Live in a Christian Minsitry
3. Commit a crime and live in prison.
4. Commit suicide.

Well I opted for number two.

Those were my options at the time... and I picked the logical option to survive at the time...
You see I've had a really fucked up past 3 years of my life that I really don't need to get into ... but end result was.. my moral standards are better than subjecting myself to criminal punishment.. suicide.. or homelessness...

[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post
14-11-2011, 11:55 PM
(14-11-2011 11:46 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Well I had to make that choice to subject myself to that place... the choice was this... options are

1. Be homeless
2. Live in a Christian Minsitry
3. Commit a crime and live in prison.
4. Commit suicide.

Well I opted for number two.

Those were my options at the time... and I picked the logical option to survive at the time...
You see I've had a really fucked up past 3 years of my life that I really don't need to get into ... but end result was.. my moral standards are better than subjecting myself to criminal punishment.. suicide.. or homelessness...

The fact you got through a year of continuous propaganda and brainwashing with your integrity intact says a lot for the strength of your character. That's something you can be proud of.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post