I like shooting down Bible contradictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2011, 12:18 PM
RE: I like shooting down Bible contradictions
If you want respect, play to the crowd here. We want logical, well thought out arguments. We respect people that can make such arguments, even when we may disagree with their conclusions. Your arguments have been found lacking in several areas, likely from the God glasses effect - it seems logical to you because of the massive framework you've built up in your mind supporting your preconceptions.

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Azaraith's post
15-11-2011, 12:20 PM
(15-11-2011 12:11 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Well I don't know how you guys treat your friends in the real world, but I certianly don't go around calling my friends braindead, brainwashed, or megamasterbator. It surprises me that you don't expect me to take those as signs of hate. Are they some kind of weird signs of friendship or something?

Reminds me of life back in Worcester. Go up to somebody on those mean streets and say, "Hi, How are you doing?" You know what you are? A victim, waiting to happen. The proper phraseology, is "yo, asshole; see something interesting?" That'll keep ya safe. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-11-2011, 12:21 PM
(15-11-2011 12:11 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Well I don't know how you guys treat your friends in the real world, but I certianly don't go around calling my friends braindead, brainwashed, or megamasterbator. It surprises me that you don't expect me to take those as signs of hate. Are they some kind of weird signs of friendship or something?

It amuses me that an ongoing theme with you is that we, as atheists, are showing hatred towards christians, and then you paint everyone here with the same brushed dipped in the paint of only a couple people.

You are indeed brainwashed. I don't hate you because of this. I pity you. I also feel that it is important to speak out against the baloney that you've been taught so that I can do my part to protect the innocent and gullible from the harmful things your religion teaches. I don't mind if you have a personal relationship with god. No skin off my ass. Just so long as you don't interfere with my personal relationship with reality. If you see that as hateful, perhaps it's time to look into the mirror.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
15-11-2011, 12:22 PM
(15-11-2011 12:11 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(15-11-2011 12:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have not succeeded in shooting down any contradictions, as far as I can see.

Sure I have. You just want so desperately to hang on to that pre-concieved notion that the Bible does have contradictions. So anything presented to you that's contrary to your pre-concieved notion, you'll just try to sweep aside. It's very obvious to me.

I didn't and don't have a pre-conceived notion that the Bible has contradictions. It wasn't until I read the Bible that I discovered contradictions. I have also read Christian apologetics texts and find the arguments to not be logically valid or consistent. Typically, the arguments assume the truth of the Bible to prove the truth of the Bible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2011, 12:25 PM
(15-11-2011 12:11 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Well, everyone seems to want to talk about 500 other things related to Christianity.

Which means you're interesting. This is page 15. My thread where I define YHWH like fact doesn't even have fifteen responses. Why? Cause there ain't a whole lotta "loose thread" in a Johnny Cantor argument for others to pick at - so it gets boring. Heck, I don't even like my threads. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
15-11-2011, 12:45 PM
megamaster125,
So, what about the Koran/Quran? Or the Book of Mormon? Or the bhagavad gita? Are these the inerrant words of god? If not, why not?

When you can explain why you don't believe these books, then you will understand why we don't believe yours.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2011, 12:58 PM
(15-11-2011 12:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(15-11-2011 11:59 AM)megamaster125 Wrote:  No Christian is afraid of hell, Christians don't sit around talking about death and hell.
I mean, woah! Hafta wonder where you're from.

Be honest with ya - that's what keeps the "door-to-door" salesman away from this house. (The JWs, Mormans, and local God-botherers). And this is the line:

Acceptance of the Holy Spirit means eternal life is now.

That's them, done and dusted. (I should patent that shit.) They always wanna talk about hell, once I drop that bomb right there - talking about hell is giving credence to evil. Not only do they leave, they tell their friends not to come over here.

Yeah; maybe not you and your circle - but there is a googolplex of Christians "hung up" on the concept of hell. I mean, rapture? Revelation? Come on...

Oh sure, we do acknowledge hell as a reality, but fear of hell on its own is a terrible reason to become a Christian.

(15-11-2011 12:25 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(15-11-2011 12:11 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  Well, everyone seems to want to talk about 500 other things related to Christianity.

Which means you're interesting. This is page 15. My thread where I define YHWH like fact doesn't even have fifteen responses. Why? Cause there ain't a whole lotta "loose thread" in a Johnny Cantor argument for others to pick at - so it gets boring. Heck, I don't even like my threads. Wink

Yeah, Christians on an atheist forum do tend to be pretty popular, whether I wanted to be or not. Well, as long as we're having fun, right? Wink

Anyways, I do have a response to the whole women visiting the empty tomb, if anyone wants me to post it, but I get the feeling it'll just fall on deaf ears.
[+] 1 user Likes megamaster125's post
15-11-2011, 01:02 PM
(15-11-2011 01:23 AM)Glaucus Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 06:23 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  4. A level of love, joy, and peace that can't be attained anywhere else.

I told myself I'd stay away until you stopped with the acrobats, but this is insulting. You have no idea what levels can be achieved. I have more love for humanity because I'm proud of the things we've accomplished over the ages, because some of us have outgrown the superstitions of humanity's infancy. I have more joy because I'm living my life as I see fit, knowing full well that I'm worm food at the end of this. And I'm more at peace because I know this is the only chance I get, my only shot at immortality is to be remembered through my actions in this life.

Well said, Glaucus.

@megamaster125:

This is an argument we hear from Christians all the time. In bumper-sticker form:

"No Jesus, no peace. Know Jesus, know peace."

That's clever marketing. But why should we believe it's true?

You need to be held accountable for your statement that non-believers can't achieve the same level of love, joy, and peace that believers can.

My favorite question in the English language is just five simple words: How do you know that?

So I'm going to ask you to tell us how you know your pronouncement about love, joy, and peace is true. Where's your evidence?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
15-11-2011, 01:05 PM
(15-11-2011 11:59 AM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
(15-11-2011 11:25 AM)Glaucus Wrote:  Are you not afraid of hell?

This has to be one of the biggest misconceptions atheists make about Christians, and then you go and call me close-minded.

No Christian is afraid of hell, Christians don't sit around talking about death and hell. We have nothing to fear about it, at all. I don't know where you even get the idea from that was are afraid of hell. You're the one that brought this topic up, so if anything, you're the one afraid of hell, because you know if you die and find out you're wrong and God does exist, you know that you'll be the one with something to fear. I have nothing to fear as far as death and hell.

There is no hell, there is nothing to fear from it.

Quote:If you came here actually trying to understand our position, then you'd get the respect you want.

Well from what I've seen, your position involves a lot of hatred toward the Bible and Christianity and Christians in general. Feel free to add in anything I'm leaving out, but that sums up what I'm seeing from coming here.

You're leaving everything out except your colorization of the entire thread. You can here boasting that there are no contradictions in the Bible and you were going to show us all. The only thing you've accomplished is practice in your acrobatics and shut out honest intellectual discussion.

Some people have reacted strongly to you when confronted with your intellectual dishonesty, and I am not surprised. You've shown that you're not open to a reasoned discussion. You've led people to believe that you are open to discussion, but really you want to state your refutation and you expect people to accept it. You've made a lot of assumptions about atheists, and when you let those assumptions slip out people have gotten pissed off, which further fuels your assumptions. You've also reacted with smugness, further fueling the fire. But go ahead and keep thinking that you are being "persecuted" for your beliefs by the whole community.

Personally, I don't perceive you as any more than either a troll, or someone who wants practice in debating atheists, or you're simply looking for a forum to test your ideas against before you get your website up and running. It's not like whatever happens here will change your mind about any of your "refutations" for Bible contradictions.

Quote:I'm sorry for the language, but your last comment about atheists not knowing your level of love, joy, and peace was as appalling as it was disrespectful. I've seen the love of Christians as they steal the wealth of families and tell them god will take care of them. I've seen the joy in their hearts as they teach their children to hate those who are different. I've seen the peace in their lives as they pray for god to destroy this world. Faith causes misery on a scale unparalleled as people reject medicine to grovel at the feet of their monster of a god.

I never claimed atheists couldn't have any love, joy, or peace. That's just putting words into my mouth. I said a LEVEL of love, joy, and peace that CAN ONLY BE ATTAINED by God. It's not my fault if you haven't experienced the things I have.

See, here is a prime example of your intellectual dishonesty. You know as well as everyone else here that this is entirely unmeasurable. You know this, but you still make this claim. That is dishonest, and it's insulting. We're not stupid.

There is no way that you can know that your "level" of love, joy, and peace is any different than anyone else. All you know is that you feel these emotions more than you did before, and people have told you that God gives you joy and peace and love- so you equate what joy and peace and love you have as being on a level higher than anyone else's simply because you think it comes from God.

You have absolutely no way to know what anyone else feels besides what they tell you. If an atheist told you they feel a great measure of love, joy, and peace you simply would justify that it's not the same love, joy, and peace that you feel and that yours is superior because it comes from God and because you know it's more than what you felt at prior times in your life. There is no winning with you in your personal experience- but there is also no ground for you to make a solid claim that your experience of love and joy and peace is in any way different or superior to anyone else because it is not your experience to grade.

To clarify the above, I use the word "feel" here in my post, but what I really mean is both feeling of emotion and of knowledge. These both play into love, joy, and peacefulness for both a short-term and long-term experience.
[+] 6 users Like kineo's post
15-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Well, I can tell after that last post that you guys don't want me here. Bye bye then, I guess.