I like shooting down Bible contradictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2011, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2011 06:07 PM by ddrew.)
RE: I like shooting down Bible contradictions
(15-11-2011 03:59 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  What shocks me the most here is you using the Bible to encourage me, the same Bible you don't believe in. I am baffled. This is definately not something I saw coming.

Well mega... I've had the past year to live with and be surrounded by some pretty well Bible versed people. I've had some really amazing conversations with "soldiers of Jesus Christ". I learned alot of Bible lingo, quirks, and popular quotes. When your surrounded by a certain culture for an extended period of time a person will begin to mirror the environment that he or she is in. Also I find using the Bible as a tool to fuel my debates with Christians.

Now.... I'm going to flip the magic coin here and turn the mood around on you..

*knocks on megamaster125's forehead*. . . . "HELLO ... megaMcFlY... anybody home?? Think megaMcFly... THINK!". . . . I'm still waiting for your response to my contradiction that I posted... look back on page 3.

BTW I'm drunk again so your shit outta luck now... Wink
Okay.. okay.. . look I'll be fair and we'll scrap page 3.. let's take a look at these verses here below.....

Hebrews 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Hebrews 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Hebrews 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Ummm.... I was taught that God makes NO MISTAKES.. God is FAULTLESS.. God is PERFECT... hrmmm could you help us out with this one there megamaster125?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2011, 09:51 PM
(15-11-2011 04:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'd like you to stay. I would like you to clarify your opening statements, though.

Are you saying that there are no contradictions in the Bible? Or none that you can't explain? Or none that someone can't explain?

See, I knew you guys liked technicalities. I'll go with the answer, there aren't any contradictions that can't be explained away by a Christian perspective.

And since you liked technicalities so much, here's my response to the whole "how many women went to the empty tomb contradiction." I'll put this in a pretend dialouge form between you and me.

megamaster125: Sarah went to the store.

Chas: Sarah and Kevin went to the store.

Did I lie here? No, certainly not. I said Sarah went to the store, and she did. I never claimed she didn't go with Kevin.

(15-11-2011 04:39 PM)kineo Wrote:  If I were uninterested in the thread, I would just ignore it though.

You do make a good point. If people truely didn't want me here, this topic would have been ignored completely, in which case I would have gotten bored and just left, or you guys would have banned me.

(15-11-2011 04:53 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  megamaster125 I'd be happy for you to stay it's always good to have someone with with a different perspective on things as it makes for an interesting debate.

After the responses I got after saying I was going to leave, now I'm interested, and very confused.

(15-11-2011 05:38 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Well mega... I've had the past year to live with and be surrounded by some pretty well Bible versed people. I've had some really amazing conversations with "soldiers of Jesus Christ". I learned alot of Bible lingo, quirks, and popular quotes. When your surrounded by a certain culture for an extended period of time a person will begin to mirror the environment that he or she is in. Also I find using the Bible as a tool to fuel my debates with Christians.

Now.... I'm going to flip the magic coin here and turn the mood around on you..

*knocks on megamaster125's forehead*. . . . "HELLO ... megaMcFlY... anybody home?? Think megaMcFly... THINK!". . . . I'm still waiting for your response to my contradiction that I posted... look back on page 3.

BTW I'm drunk again so your shit outta luck now... Wink

Oh darn, maybe I should come back later then. Wink

Quote:Okay.. okay.. . look I'll be fair and we'll scrap page 3.. let's take a look at these verses here below.....

Hebrews 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Hebrews 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Hebrews 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Ummm.... I was taught that God makes NO MISTAKES.. God is FAULTLESS.. God is PERFECT... hrmmm could you help us out with this one there megamaster125?

Sure, I'll give you my perspective on it. The key to your question lays with verse 7, which references the first covenant. This was the covenant God made with Adam (of course, I'm sure all you guys knew that). But here's the thing to remember, God isn't the one that broke this covenant. Adam broke the covenant when Adam chose to disobey God.

Better is one day in Your courts, better is one day in Your house,
Better is one day in Your courts, than thousands elsewhere.
15-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Forgive me for not reading the last 17 pages due to my slow internet connection. But has Paul's conversion story been talked about here? In the book of Acts, there are three accounts of the same story and they differ to one another, I'd like to know megamaster125's opinion on this. Thanks.
15-11-2011, 10:27 PM
(15-11-2011 10:02 PM)yongkykun Wrote:  Forgive me for not reading the last 17 pages due to my slow internet connection. But has Paul's conversion story been talked about here? In the book of Acts, there are three accounts of the same story and they differ to one another, I'd like to know megamaster125's opinion on this. Thanks.

I recall it being mentioned, but given how busy this topic has been I haven't goten around to all that myself. Looking at Acts 9:7 and Acts 22:9, I really don't see any problems. Acts 9:7 says they heard the sound, and Acts 22:9 says they didn't understand. It's possible to hear something and not understand the voice that's speaking.

Just for a quick reference, the Bible verses.

The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless. They heard the sound but did not see anyone.
Acts 9:7

My companions saw the light, but they did not understand the voice of him who was
speaking to me.
Acts 22:9

And before the next thing pops up, it's possible that they saw the light, but didn't see any physical person attached to the voice (they didn't see anyone).

Is this the contradiction you were referencing, or was there some other Bible verses you had in mind?

15-11-2011, 11:37 PM
(15-11-2011 09:51 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  
Quote:Okay.. okay.. . look I'll be fair and we'll scrap page 3.. let's take a look at these verses here below.....

Sure, I'll give you my perspective on it. The key to your question lays with verse 7, which references the first covenant. This was the covenant God made with Adam (of course, I'm sure all you guys knew that). But here's the thing to remember, God isn't the one that broke this covenant. Adam broke the covenant when Adam chose to disobey God.

That verse says nothing about broken covenant.. says "had been faultless". Does anyone else see Adam broke the first covenant in that verse? See the way I read it is.. if the first covenant had been faultless then Adam would have been unable to break it. And beyond that the first covenant was actually with Moses and the Isrealites. Only agreement Adam had with God was not to touch his tree of knowledge.

I'll dig up the verses that describe the first covenant that God and Moses was hosing out up on Mt. Sinai laters.. I'm falling asleep atm.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
16-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Non-Theists....

Great job guys! Your points are firm and reasonable. I didn't see one single question or remark that mega could answer or even approach. His replies were empty and vague and you didn't let him forget it for a moment. The humor was reasonable, the tone was exactly the level I would expect from respectful people dealing with sociopathic nonsense. It's a proud thing and a major improvement on past threads that were either pounce and kill or whiny "I'm afraid to say something offensive"! This was really cool.

Now that the ground has been confirmed, my suggestion is that this doesn't turn into another scripture by scripture, question the theist, quote by quote, thread ad nauseum or we will end up with another ST/theo, on and on, jackoff routine that has been done and done and done.... quit while you're not bogged down in the mud of incoherence.

Find new ground or let it die. My 2 cents.

or... as you were.... have fun.

----

Mega... You really do not have a book or a god to stand on. Your beliefs are your prison. They make you feel better but they are not basis in fact. If they do make you feel better about yourself then find your niche and be at peace. But when you enter this place you are up against reality and it does hurt to be confronted by reason if you have no basis in it for perspective, and you have none. You can continue to blind yourself to the irritation of the confrontation like a tension laugh, but if you continue the same denial at every point like you have by throwing arrogant quips and self preserving tokens, you will continue to make a fool of yourself. This is over your head. You need to do some studying; your education is very one sided and incomplete. Then come back and make a reasonable display of your ideas. A complete, unbiased, open minded education can change things.

Good luck...

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
[+] 3 users Like defacto7's post
16-11-2011, 01:02 AM
(15-11-2011 11:37 PM)ddrew Wrote:  
(15-11-2011 09:51 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  

That verse says nothing about broken covenant.. says "had been faultless". Does anyone else see Adam broke the first covenant in that verse? See the way I read it is.. if the first covenant had been faultless then Adam would have been unable to break it. And beyond that the first covenant was actually with Moses and the Isrealites. Only agreement Adam had with God was not to touch his tree of knowledge.

I'll dig up the verses that describe the first covenant that God and Moses was hosing out up on Mt. Sinai laters.. I'm falling asleep atm.

Bah... couldn't sleep... here are the verses with which God is setting up his covenant... the laws have been laid down.. the covenant is about to be made between Isreal and God.

Exd 24:7 And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient.
Exd 24:8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

That is the first covenant that was being talked about in Hebrews. But it was not perfect because the sacrifices for the attonement of sin was never enough... which is why God had to scrap that plan... come to earth as Jesus and give himself as the perfect sacrifice thus setting up a new and better covenant.

you do understand what is in that Bible correct mega?? Because so far the atheists in this forum are explaining the Bible to you better than you can even begin to do yourself.

16-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Forgive me for not reading the last 17 pages due to my slow internet connection. But has Paul's conversion story been talked about here? In the book of Acts, there are three accounts of the same story and they differ to one another, I'd like to know megamaster125's opinion on this. Thanks.
16-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Hmmm... my reputation went negative. You guys seem to be forgetting oh so quickly. I was all set to leave this place when it was you guys that wanted me to stay and give you my perspective. Please make up your minds what you want.

(15-11-2011 11:37 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Only agreement Adam had with God was not to touch his tree of knowledge.

Welcome to my whole point. Guess who touched the tree of knowledge and broke that agreement? It was Adam. Of course Hebrews 8:7 doesn't directly state Adam broke the coventant. That is found in Genesis 3.

(16-11-2011 01:02 AM)ddrew Wrote:  Bah... couldn't sleep... here are the verses with which God is setting up his covenant... the laws have been laid down.. the covenant is about to be made between Isreal and God.

Exd 24:7 And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient.
Exd 24:8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

That is the first covenant that was being talked about in Hebrews. But it was not perfect because the sacrifices for the attonement of sin was never enough... which is why God had to scrap that plan... come to earth as Jesus and give himself as the perfect sacrifice thus setting up a new and better covenant.

There were multiple covenants in the old testament. Do you even know what a covenant is? It's an agreement between two or more parties. You yourself stated that Adam had an agreement with God.

Quote:you do understand what is in that Bible correct mega?? Because so far the atheists in this forum are explaining the Bible to you better than you can even begin to do yourself.

If you know the Bible so much better than me, then why are you asking me questions about it? Better yet, how do you know that your interpretation of the Bible is so much more correct than mine?

16-11-2011, 11:21 AM
megamaster125... since your not doing to well with contradictions... do you mind If i shift the focus to somthing else? Perhaps prophecy is better up your alley...

Isaiah has some pretty good stuff.. here let's take a look...

13:19 And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
13:20 It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there.
13:21 But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there.
13:22 And the wild beasts of the islands shall cry in their desolate houses, and dragons in their pleasant palaces: and her time is near to come, and her days shall not be prolonged.

OKay well Isaiah was correct in the fact that Babylon would be destroyed. It happened .. the ruins of Babylon are there today just south of Baghdad, Iraq.

However, Isaiah was wrong when he said that no man would ever dwell there from generation to generation. Why? Because of several reasons... the main palace was rebuilt and is now a tourist attraction Hotel that people can stay at. Also the U.S. Military has been using the site as a base of operations as well..

There has been no dragon sitings and the residents at the Hotel havn't been complaining of any satyrs playing flutes and dancing in the streets.

What is your take on all this prophecy stuff being wrong in the Bible megamaster125?