I like shooting down Bible contradictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2011, 02:31 PM
RE: I like shooting down Bible contradictions
My problem is that I have directly addressed Mega three times, and my posts have been ignored completely. I don't expect him to address each and every detail in the thread (nor do I think he even could considering that he is the sole person responding to many), but for him to avoid even acknowledging me, or any other person for that matter, is just shitty. I get in shit from members for not doing it (rightly so) so I hold Mega to the same standards.

All that aside, I think my issue is a very valid one that warrants a response. (But then I suppose we all feel that way).

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
16-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Man, I know everything. Big Grin

This guy was addressing his own concerns. That is why it is it written: SASE. I think he is lost in the mail. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-11-2011, 07:03 PM
(14-11-2011 06:08 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  I'veThings I have as a Christian that atheists don't have (and this isn't meant to be an all-inclusive list either).

I have:

1. God in my life.

Agreed, but I'd argue that god is just a figment of your imagination

Quote:2. God's plan for good things in my life.

"Plan" really? If you think your god has a plan for everyone, does that include babies who are born with disorders that cause them to die an excruciating death soon after birth, like harlequin ichthyosis or being born without a brain? Does this god also plan for people to be raped, beaten, tortured, and murdered?

Quote:3. Forgiveness of sins.

Agreed, but we see original sin as bunk

Quote:4. A level of love, joy, and peace that can't be attained anywhere else.

Rubbish

Quote:5. A personal relationship with God.
6. Spiritual gifts.

Back to answer in question 1

I'm sorry, but these are really bad arguments to convince anyone that your belief are a good thing; it's as if you just like the concept of what Christianity is to you, regardless of it's true or not

And as a former Christian, I can say that I've gotten more from rejecting superstitious claims than when I believed in them. I could write an entire essay as to why that is, but that isn't the purpose of this thread

"it is a principle innate and co-natural to every man to have an insatiable inclination to the truth, and to seek for it as for hid treasure..."
-Thomas Aikenhead
[+] 4 users Like Mia's post
16-11-2011, 08:06 PM
The first covenant was made with Abraham, not Adam

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Here is a lecture by David Fitzgerald, examining the evidence for a historical conclusion and showing reasons to conclude that Jesus did not exist at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvleOBYTr...ideo_title

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like daemonowner's post
18-11-2011, 10:05 PM
(17-11-2011 08:32 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Here is a lecture by David Fitzgerald, examining the evidence for a historical conclusion and showing reasons to conclude that Jesus did not exist at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvleOBYTr...ideo_title

I expect this link to be the best thing I seen all day, but technically there's two hours to go. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
19-11-2011, 01:18 AM
There are loads of lectures on the historicity of Jesus lying around. Bart Ehrman is a scholar and historian, and has a few lectures at least on youtube .

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
19-11-2011, 01:23 AM
(19-11-2011 01:18 AM)daemonowner Wrote:  There are loads of lectures on the historicity of Jesus lying around. Bart Ehrman is a scholar and historian, and has a few lectures at least on youtube .

This is the best read I know of on the subject of the existence of Jesus... I am pretty well convinced that Jesus charterer never was.

http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/camel.html

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
19-11-2011, 07:27 PM
(16-11-2011 02:31 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  My problem is that I have directly addressed Mega three times, and my posts have been ignored completely.

I had the same problem. My contradictions are back on page 5, and weren't touched once. But that's probably not because they were so powerful, but rather because there were too many for him to wade through. I think we'd all love to spend time debating with a theist that actually invites the debate. But if you do it on their sites, you get accused of trolling.

Look, I don't have all the time in the world - but if you guys want me to answer your bible contradictions, I'll give it a go. Yes, I'm an atheist, but as a solid debater I tend to read up on the rebuttals to atheist arguments so that I can formulate counter-rebuttals. Just give me respect (no name calling or ridicule) and I'll play devil's advocate for a while.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.