I like shooting down Bible contradictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2011, 11:40 AM
RE: I like shooting down Bible contradictions
(14-11-2011 11:38 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
Quote:Nah, I don't ignore them, I actually research them. I have to wonder though, you guys are intelligent and like thinking critically. Did you guys do any research at all into these alleged contradictions, because a lot of them look very silly if you just open up a Bible and read it?

You cannot research the bible, as there is nothing to be learned. You can read the cryptic text, or in your case read into it whatever you want from the text. But not research.

There's an atheist! Cool

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-11-2011, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 12:27 PM by ddrew.)
(14-11-2011 09:58 AM)megamaster125 Wrote:  I'd like to see you prove to me that God isn't real and Jesus didn't exist.

Haha... You seem to forget that we here are Atheists because of the lack of evidence and proof for there being a God or Jesus. You seem to forget my brainwashed friend that you can't show me proof for the existance of a God. None.
I don't have to show you proof that there is no God. Heck all the lack of evidence to support God should be considered proof that there is no God.

Look around you... look at all the gizmos.. the lights.. tv.. your cell phone... the very technology that allows you to read this post right now is a direct result of men and women who could think outside that little religious box and use science to advance the human race.

Now look at all the suffering and wars... the plagues that ravage the children around the world... God's divine plan? Really? Is this the best God can do?? You gotta be shitting me that you believe in that superstition. Yes you are BRAINWASHED...

You can't prove that God exists because there is no proof.

(14-11-2011 10:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 09:06 AM)ddrew Wrote:  There is no God. Jesus wasn't real and Buddha is fat.

There seems to be some consensus that Siddhartha was actually lean. Wink

Yeah your right ... he was thin ... but I've seen pictures of him fat too. See there goes man again screwing with ideas of what their God is supposed to be.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like ddrew's post
14-11-2011, 12:29 PM
(14-11-2011 12:13 PM)ddrew Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 09:58 AM)megamaster125 Wrote:  I'd like to see you prove to me that God isn't real and Jesus didn't exist.

Haha... You seem to forget that we here are Atheists because of the lack of evidence and proof for there being a God or Jesus. You seem to forget my brainwashed friend that you can't show me proof for the existance of a God. None.
I don't have to show you proof that there is no God. Heck all the lack of evidence to support God should be considered proof that there is no God.

I don't see a lack of evidence. There's the cosmological arguement and the fine-tuning of the universe arguement which lead to the logical conclusion that the universe has an intelligent disgner, which supports Genesis 1:1.

Aside from this stuff, there's all of my personal experiences with God, which is something you can't take away from me, ever. I don't expect others to believe because of my personal experiences, but I am more than convinced that my God exists.

Again though, I don't want to get into all this stuff, not in this topic. These things are all massive topics, and this topic is about contradictions in the Bible.

Quote:Look around you... look at all the gizmos.. the lights.. tv.. your cell phone... the very technology that allows you to read this post right now is a direct result of men and women who could think outside that little religious box and use science to advance the human race.

I don't see how religion would hinder the invention of a cell phone.

Quote:Now look at all the suffering and wars... the plagues that ravage the children around the world... God's divine plan? Really? Is this the best God can do?? You gotta be shitting me that you believe in that superstition. Yes you are BRAINWASHED...

You're forgetting 2 very major factors here, which most atheists always seem to ignore when they bring up this sort of stuff, and they just want to put it all on God.

1. People have free will. People can choose to murder one another, people can choose to do bad things. Trying to put your own choices on God is just trying to escape from taking responsibility of your own choices.

2. Satan. Atheists always tell me that if God exists, God is evil because of blah blah blah, and they completely leave Satan out of the picture. Satan is the one who tempted Adam and Eve to sin, Satan is the source of sin and evil, and you guys just want to leave him out of the picture and put everything on God. Sorry, but that's not how it works.

Quote:You can't prove that God exists because there is no proof.

And you can't prove atheism is accurate and correct because there is no proof. And again, that's not the topic here.

And btw, insulting someone and telling them that they're brainwashed is a rather poor way to try and recruit someone into atheism.
14-11-2011, 12:34 PM
(14-11-2011 12:29 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  And btw, insulting someone and telling them that they're brainwashed is a rather poor way to try and recruit someone into atheism.

There's your mistake. There ain't no "recruiting" going on, there ain't no "atheism" to which to recruit. There's atheists, and we're a thick-skinned, feisty lot. Wink

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-11-2011, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 12:43 PM by Glaucus.)
(14-11-2011 09:58 AM)megamaster125 Wrote:  I find doubt on its own to be very weak.

Doubt is probably the most important of all qualities. If you don't approach claims with skepticism, then you're setting yourself up to be taken for a fool. For example, if someone asked me for a tenth of my income to provide my soul with fire insurance, I'd like to be certain (within reason) that I was actually in danger.

Here is a short youtube video of Richard Feynman on doubt.
Richard Feynman on Doubt

If you don't have time to watch the video, it can be summed up in the quote:
"I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong."
(14-11-2011 12:29 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  2. Satan. Atheists always tell me that if God exists, God is evil because of blah blah blah, and they completely leave Satan out of the picture. Satan is the one who tempted Adam and Eve to sin, Satan is the source of sin and evil, and you guys just want to leave him out of the picture and put everything on God. Sorry, but that's not how it works.

Have you ever read this gem?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

Why doesn't god destroy Satan? Why did god create Satan? Is Satan more powerful than god?
For example, if I had children and they were being bullied at school I'd put a stop to it. That's what a parent should do, protect their children. God simply allows the child to continue to get bullied, then complains when the kids don't respect him as a parent any more.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
[+] 4 users Like Glaucus's post
14-11-2011, 12:46 PM
It's brave of you to challenge a bunch of atheists on their home turf, megamaster. Some might call it "trolling", but I think that's just an awful label for a fairly innocuous act.

I think one of the best textual contradictions is the timing of Jesus driving the Pharisees out of the temple. Did it happen the day of Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem (Luke + Matthew), the day after his entry (Mark), or just after his first miracle of changing water into wine (John chapter 2).

Also, there is a logical contradiction about God's aseity. Is it possible for God to be both merciful and just? To be just means to give out punishments equal to the crime. To be merciful means to give out a punishment that is mitigated, or less than what is deserved.

It's also questionable whether God even has a reasonable sense of justice. All sins, even those in which no one gets hurt (taking God's name in vain, making a graven image, or coveting for instance) all get the maximum punishment. And if a person confesses that Jesus Christ is lord then they get no punishment, which isn't just to those who haven't committed those sins. Every Christian runs into this idea eventually, and I observe it usually ending in "God's ways are mysterious" or some similar call to ignorance. I'd rather get a response on this.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
14-11-2011, 12:47 PM
(14-11-2011 12:29 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  And you can't prove atheism is accurate and correct because there is no proof...

Actually there's nothing for atheism to be accurate and correct about. Atheism isn't a belief system, it's simply a term denoting the absence of a particular kind of belief. This lack of a belief doesn't even have to mean the denial of the existence of God. Beyond this, whatever else the Atheist believes is all on them. Atheism literally has nothing to prove.
[+] 3 users Like Eye Sage's post
14-11-2011, 01:46 PM
(14-11-2011 12:36 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 12:29 PM)megamaster125 Wrote:  2. Satan. Atheists always tell me that if God exists, God is evil because of blah blah blah, and they completely leave Satan out of the picture. Satan is the one who tempted Adam and Eve to sin, Satan is the source of sin and evil, and you guys just want to leave him out of the picture and put everything on God. Sorry, but that's not how it works.

Have you ever read this gem?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

Why doesn't god destroy Satan? Why did god create Satan? Is Satan more powerful than god?
For example, if I had children and they were being bullied at school I'd put a stop to it. That's what a parent should do, protect their children. God simply allows the child to continue to get bullied, then complains when the kids don't respect him as a parent any more.
You're both wrong, so there! Big Grin

Lucifer is "merely" literary device, used for illustrative purposes only. Here's the fact:

God must lie.

Ergo, "Prince of Lies." Why must god lie? Because we live in a causal, entropic universe where truth can only be held in point-object form. What, then, is the point-object truth of maximum completeness? Atheist. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-11-2011, 02:14 PM
You can't win an argument with a "true believer" by appealing to reason, because true believers are not impressed by reason. They have faith. When facts are compatible with their faith, fine. When they're not, it's time to trot out "interpretation," or "context," or "God moves in mysterious ways--we can't always understand what He does," or, as a last resort, "I trust God over science."

Martin Luther said it unequivocally:

"Reason is a whore."

and

"Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding."

Whether they admit it or not, fundamentalists readily adopt these beliefs. That's what makes debates like these so frustrating.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
14-11-2011, 02:24 PM
(14-11-2011 12:13 PM)ddrew Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 10:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 09:06 AM)ddrew Wrote:  There is no God. Jesus wasn't real and Buddha is fat.
There seems to be some consensus that Siddhartha was actually lean. Wink
Yeah your right ... he was thin ... but I've seen pictures of him fat too. See there goes man again screwing with ideas of what their God is supposed to be.

Heart I loves me a fat Sid Buddha...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post