I like you

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2012, 06:01 AM
RE: I like you
(16-12-2012 05:54 AM)Vera Wrote:  Seriously now, as long as people don't act like complete arseholes, I don't mind them. And yeah, I don't spend too much time there. I'm happy in my beliefs (or lack of belief, or however you or anyone may wanna call it) and I also realise you can't really change people or their opinions, so I rarely bother trying. Life is too short for needless annoyance.

I'm with you on the arseholes. My focus gets derailed when people start to act childish.

Life is short indeed, but that is precisely the issue at hand; Life.
The issue certainly holds a heavy importance (Or it ultimately doesn't, depending on what ends up being true).

I guess that's partially why I am even here to begin with.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2012, 06:06 AM
(16-12-2012 06:01 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(16-12-2012 05:54 AM)Vera Wrote:  Seriously now, as long as people don't act like complete arseholes, I don't mind them. And yeah, I don't spend too much time there. I'm happy in my beliefs (or lack of belief, or however you or anyone may wanna call it) and I also realise you can't really change people or their opinions, so I rarely bother trying. Life is too short for needless annoyance.

I'm with you on the arseholes. My focus gets derailed when people start to act childish.

Life is short indeed, but that is precisely the issue at hand; Life.
The issue certainly holds a heavy importance (Or it ultimately doesn't, depending on what ends up being true).

I guess that's partially why I am even here to begin with.
Well, I personally, am pretty sure what is true. And to be more precise, the issue is death and our ego not being able to deal with it, not life.

But religion is responsible for a lot of evil in this world, so it's understandable that a lot people feel strongly about it. I do, too, I just don't try to talk theists out of their theism, because it's mostly pointless (and not always necessary).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
16-12-2012, 06:19 AM
(16-12-2012 06:06 AM)Vera Wrote:  Well, I personally, am pretty sure what is true. And to be more precise, the issue is death and our ego not being able to deal with it, not life.

I've been in a constant search for the truth myself. And you're saying you are pretty sure of what it is.
So what is true, how did you figure it out and how do you know it's the truth?

(16-12-2012 06:06 AM)Vera Wrote:  But religion is responsible for a lot of evil in this world, so it's understandable that a lot people feel strongly about it. I do, too, I just don't try to talk theists out of their theism, because it's mostly pointless (and not always necessary).

Ok, well for the sake of not confusing me, I'll take it that you mean to say "responsible for a lot of disagreement on the way humans should act" or something to that effect.
Evil is not something that actually exists in a purely naturalistic world. But still, anyone can call it evil anyways because it's socially acceptable.
I'm just more specific and analytical.

Although, it seems like we should be blaming people and not religion for those awful things.
People created religion, those people died off, then people that followed those religions chose to behave a certain way. I believe those people are responsible for their actions. Not religion.
I guess kind of like guns aren't responsible for dead people lol
The people that make choices to pull the trigger are responsible.
And stuff..

—Jeremy LaBorde
16-12-2012, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2012 07:28 AM by Vera.)
EDIT: (Something went terribly wrong with my original post, will try to recreate it as best I can).

No, I wasn't talking about disagreement, but about genocide, inquisition, torture, bigotry and holding back the intellectual development of humanity by centuries. Not to mention the terrifying damage the major monotheistic religions have caused to the human spirit. I've said it before and I'll say it again - you beat a child every day of their life and tell them they are worthless and inherently bad, and are nothing, but for you, and see what they grow up to be.

And since religion is man-made, saying it's people who kill, not religion, is a moot point. Had it been allowed to die its natural death with the advance of reason, there wouldn't have been people desperately clinging to it to this very day, because their egos cannot accept the idea of their own mortality.

And I believe that death is death, because the moment my brain dies, I'm gone. Once and for all. Everything that made me who I am, will be gone. There is absolutely nothing to persuade me I have a soul that is separate from my experiences as a living being and a whole lot to persuade me that I am who I am because of my brain. Human beings are finite. Infinity, eternity or however one wants to call it, is not only impossible for them, but frankly - terrifying.

16-12-2012, 07:15 AM

—Jeremy LaBorde
16-12-2012, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2012 07:26 AM by Vera.)
No, something went wrong. This was not my answer. Shit.

16-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I like you
I like you too, Leela.

You're very caring and compassionate. You're funny, insightful, and you make excellent cookies!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-12-2012, 09:26 AM
(14-12-2012 07:04 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I dedicate this post to all the other fuckers on this site who didn't make the list. I love you for keeping this site interesting.
Nobody eats chopped liver, so it lives longer---that's evolutionary advantage, right there. Thumbsup

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Percepticon's post
16-12-2012, 09:57 AM
I like you
(16-12-2012 09:26 AM)Percepticon Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 07:04 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I dedicate this post to all the other fuckers on this site who didn't make the list. I love you for keeping this site interesting.
Nobody eats chopped liver, so it lives longer---that's evolutionary advantage, right there. Thumbsup

Isn't chopped liver just a form of liverwurst? I do occasionally like me some liverwurst sandwiches.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I love chopped liver, especially liverwurst. Since I didn't get mentioned, I assume I am chopped liver, and since I like it, I take the omission as a compliment! Lol.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post