I like your shirt man!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2015, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 09:11 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
I like your shirt man!
So yesterday I went to Busch Gardens theme park in Williamsburg with my wife which I do every week. it is a beautiful place, great food, good place to walk and the wife and I go there and do just that. Occasionally, I will wear one of my atheist shirts there. I think this is important because it exposes atheism to a very large group of people, in a safe environment. As it is a theme park, I don't worry about some delusional god fearing christian walking up and shooting me in the face....if one decided to actually confront me verbally or physically I have ZERO concern about that. How embarrassing would it be for that fool to get publically humiliated whether it was intellectually or physically? Laugh out load

Anyway, I truly think it is important that I wear the shirts, it smacks the theists in the face so they realize it isn't their world anymore, and perhaps it helps non theists feel confident in being more expressive about their non belief....an important message.

So there I was, walking around BGW with the wife, watching with private amusement the people walking toward me look at me, look at the shirt then the reactions...sometimes it was neutral, but mostly looks of contempt, disdain, and sometimes even hate.

We went to the Germany area and dined for lunch. The Germany Festhaus is huge, holding several thousand, here is a pic of one corner...

[Image: 16c06jn.jpg]

So anyway, the wife and I get our food and are standing in line at one of the multiple cashier stations, I look up and see a lady in her 50s on the opposite side waiting to cash out and she is staring at me with such hatred it almost startles me...I just stare back at her like she is an artifact at a museum. Then we go to sit down, and we are enjoying our lunch, listening to the music and scanning the massive crowd as we eat. Suddenly I notice about 15 tables back across the aisle my friendly christian (assumption, she could have been anything, but it fits the mold) is eating while staring hatefully straight at me...I smile and ignore her, but feel the heat of her gaze through my entire meal. She leans in and says something to her husband, he looks up and down quickly, nods his head and keeps eating...we finish and leave laughing about the ignorance.

As we walk through the italy area I have my path suddenly blocked by a young couple, he points to my shirt and says enthusiastically and loudly.."I Like your shirt man!"...we shake hands and I say "thanks man." His girlfriend (assumption) gives me a big smile and a thumbs up, and they go on....my faith in humanity is yet again revitalized. EVERY time I go out in my shirts, that is the reactions, majority of barely concealed contempt and disdain, and always someone comes up and says, "nice shirt."

Have you ever experienced this? Do you wear atheist shirts? if not why? If so why?

[Image: mcccwl.png]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
07-06-2015, 08:34 AM
RE: I like your shirt man!
OMG I'm so jealous you get to go to Busch Gardens so often! I haven't been since I was 9 Sad

I don't have any shirts because I'm sorta still in the closet. I'm out at work - I don't bring it up but don't hesitate to say I'm an atheist when asked about church. I plan on getting a shirt as soon as I move into my new apartment - I just won't wear it around the fam or my conservative Catholic friend (although she does know I'm an atheist). If I had more friends here I wouldn't worry about wearing it around her. I'll probably just wear it grocery shopping, working out, and around my apartment complex.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
07-06-2015, 08:37 AM
If I had any I'd wear them. I have a "I'm good without god" sticker on my car. I have yet to be vandalized.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
07-06-2015, 08:44 AM
(07-06-2015 08:34 AM)Nurse Wrote:  OMG I'm so jealous you get to go to Busch Gardens so often! I haven't been since I was 9 Sad

I don't have any shirts because I'm sorta still in the closet. I'm out at work - I don't bring it up but don't hesitate to say I'm an atheist when asked about church. I plan on getting a shirt as soon as I move into my new apartment - I just won't wear it around the fam or my conservative Catholic friend (although she does know I'm an atheist). If I had more friends here I wouldn't worry about wearing it around her. I'll probably just wear it grocery shopping, working out, and around my apartment complex.

We are fortunate that we live one exit from Busch Gardens, and two exits from Water Country Williamsburg. So we get discounted two park season passes for us each year. Neither of us do rides, we go for the walking, and food. They get voted best theme park food all the time, and I just love their ribs in France. So it is literally straight down the road 1-2 miles from our house, so we enjoy going and walking. Season passes saves 10% on everything, and if you go twice you saved money on admission.

Yeah you have to becareful wear you wear them in my humble opinion. If I am by myself, I will wear it anywhere...gotta a problem with me? Bring it. But if I have my wife with me, I ask her if she minds if I wear one, and it depends on her mood and where we are going...to do otherwise could endanger her.....sad that is the reality isn't it?

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
07-06-2015, 08:46 AM
I'm a chicken-shit. Blush I don't know that I will ever be able to do that. Well, maybe once I get a little older. The older I get, the less I care. I do think if Rev were walking alongside me, or if we were out and about together, that I wouldn't be afraid to wear one.

I do remember this one time when I went to the movies, and I saw someone with one of the Scarlet A t-shirts on. I remember wishing I could be that brave to wear something like that myself. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
07-06-2015, 08:48 AM
I could never do this. I'd be afraid I'd run into someone I know.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
07-06-2015, 08:52 AM
I have a couple shirts from TTA. I need to start wearing them more. The only reason I don't is that they aren't as soft as I would like...guess some wearing and washing would solve that. Undecided

As for now, the evolve fish on my car is my only outward sign that I am not a believer. I had a bumper stick on a car I had a few years ago that said "Born Okay the First Time".

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-06-2015, 08:56 AM
No T-shirts for me as I am halfway in the closet (like Nurse). The people at work know about my doubts and unbelief as well as my wife and mother but no one outside of that or at our church. Even if I was completely out of the closet I would feel completely hokey wearing a t-shirt. I never would have worn one as a christian because I thought it was hokey and I would probably never wear one as a non-believer. It just isn't for me. I'm glad you can do it! I just like to be more subtle. I'm also glad there are nuances of atheism, as with anything, it certainly makes the world go round!

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
07-06-2015, 08:59 AM
(07-06-2015 08:37 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  If I had any I'd wear them. I have a "I'm good without god" sticker on my car. I have yet to be vandalized.

this is where I am a coward....I love my car....it gets a scratch I am horrified....so I badly want to put on the EVOLVE fish, or Goodwithoutgod sticker, or some other relative in your face atheist thing but I fear my car will be vandalized. If I was to walk out to my car and someone had scratched it or thrown a brick through the window or whatever I would be beside myself. Weeping

Again, sad that has to be a factor isn't it? I Imagine not a single christian ever had to worry about being victimized because they put a fish on their car....

[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
07-06-2015, 09:06 AM
(07-06-2015 08:24 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ...
Do you wear atheist shirts? if not why? If so why?

Nope. I'd be arrested.

Sadcryface

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post