I'll be so happy to see Roger Clemens get off.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2012, 04:09 PM
I'll be so happy to see Roger Clemens get off.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/05/03...onviction/

I'm not a baseball fan at all but Congress should have never been questioning an individual player about steroids use in a private organization anyway. I'd like to punch Henry Waxman dead in his ear.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2012, 06:05 PM
RE: I'll be so happy to see Roger Clemens get off.
I am a baseball fan.
Agreed that the issue didn't belong in congress, but once there, IF he perjured himself I don't think the excuse that he shouldn't have been there to start with is not strong enough, in my opinion, to let him off.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
03-05-2012, 06:12 PM
(03-05-2012 06:05 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  but once there, IF he perjured himself I don't think the excuse that he shouldn't have been there to start with is not strong enough, in my opinion, to let him off.

I disagree on grounds similar to entrapment. The man was IMO, falsely questioned in the first place. After that there can be no perjury. It's like inadmissible evidence and a mistrial so-to-speak.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
03-05-2012, 06:12 PM
this thread title sounds dirty. Makes me think all that talk about girls is to throw everyone off. Eh GermanyT? What did you and KC used to get up to?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2012, 06:18 PM
LOL until you just said something it didn't even occur to me that the title was so suggestive.

I'm not changing it. Big Grin

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
03-05-2012, 06:18 PM
(03-05-2012 06:12 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 06:05 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  but once there, IF he perjured himself I don't think the excuse that he shouldn't have been there to start with is not strong enough, in my opinion, to let him off.

I disagree on grounds similar to entrapment. The man was IMO, falsely questioned in the first place. After that there can be no perjury. It's like inadmissible evidence and a mistrial so-to-speak.

I can see that line of thinking. I'm just not convinced by the entrapment analogy. He wasn't tricked into testifying. And while I didn't follow the hearings so this is pure conjecture: couldn't he have used his 5th Ammendment rights instead of perjuring himself?

Also, I didn't click the link and my memory ain't what she used to be, but I don't recall if he was even being brought before congress for anything but information about how widespread steroid use was. Much of it wasn't illegal at the time I am thinking he used it, nor even specifically prohibited by the MLB. I am thinking it was more of an issue of cheating than anything else. But I could be wrong on that point.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
03-05-2012, 06:28 PM
(03-05-2012 06:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 06:12 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I disagree on grounds similar to entrapment. The man was IMO, falsely questioned in the first place. After that there can be no perjury. It's like inadmissible evidence and a mistrial so-to-speak.

I can see that line of thinking. I'm just not convinced by the entrapment analogy. He wasn't tricked into testifying. And while I didn't follow the hearings so this is pure conjecture: couldn't he have used his 5th Ammendment rights instead of perjuring himself?

Also, I didn't click the link and my memory ain't what she used to be, but I don't recall if he was even being brought before congress for anything but information about how widespread steroid use was. Much of it wasn't illegal at the time I am thinking he used it, nor even specifically prohibited by the MLB. I am thinking it was more of an issue of cheating than anything else. But I could be wrong on that point.
At the time of his use, steroids were a big federal no-no. It's the reason this is an issue in the first place. Congressman Waxman (who you can find in the doc Bigger, Stronger, Faster looking retarded on the issue) pretty much led the headhunt on this. Roger Clemens was sworn in to testify on steroid use. Under oath, IIRC, he was unexpectedly asked about personal steroid use. IMO a congressional hearing was not the forum in which to investigate steroid use within a company. The MLB is a corporation that certainly is within it's rights to reprimand Clemens and should have done their own research into this perceived problem.

-Mark Twain