I'll pray for you...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
RE: I'll pray for you...
I understand your sentiments, but you have to also understand the intentions of this person.

They love you. They want the best for you. So, they are doing what they think will help you receive the best from their own perspective.

They aren't forcing anything on you. They aren't insulting you. In fact, take it as a phrase of endearment. They care enough to pray for you.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2012, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2012 09:46 AM by Vosur.)
(06-08-2012 08:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They aren't forcing anything on you. They aren't insulting you. In fact, take it as a phrase of endearment. They care enough to pray for you.
They care enough about him that they clap their hands together and talk to an imaginary being instead of actually doing something productive? Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
06-08-2012, 09:54 AM
(06-08-2012 09:43 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 08:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They aren't forcing anything on you. They aren't insulting you. In fact, take it as a phrase of endearment. They care enough to pray for you.
They care enough about him that they clap their hands together and talk to an imaginary being instead of actually doing something productive? Drinking Beverage

In this situation, what would you consider "productive"?

06-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Prayer is an attempt to communicate to someone in power with the goal of changing the way you think.

It's the equivalent of picking up an imaginary phone and calling a mental hospital with the goal of them coming to pick you up and brain washing you.

They are hoping that something is FORCED on you.
It's a huge insult, because they think something is WRONG with you.
It's not a phrase of endearment. It's a phrase of contempt or lack of respect.
This is someone who doesn't care what is true or not. They only care if you think like they do. That is not caring. That's conversion.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
06-08-2012, 10:39 AM
(06-08-2012 09:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 09:43 AM)Vosur Wrote:  They care enough about him that they clap their hands together and talk to an imaginary being instead of actually doing something productive? Drinking Beverage

In this situation, what would you consider "productive"?
How about accepting his choice of non-belief? Idea

06-08-2012, 11:01 AM
(06-08-2012 10:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 09:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In this situation, what would you consider "productive"?
How about accepting his choice of non-belief? Idea

They did.

OP said that the person said that they would love them no matter what they believed.

06-08-2012, 11:09 AM
(06-08-2012 11:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 10:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  How about accepting his choice of non-belief? Idea

They did.

OP said that the person said that they would love them no matter what they believed.
"The back story isn't important, I'll skip straight to the scenario and the question. If you tell someone in your family that you love that you are an atheist and all you ask of them is to accept it, and they respond by telling you that a) they still love you no matter what you believe, but b) they are going to pray for you and especially c) they can't help but think that you'll change your mind one day ------ is it just me or is that explicitly not accepting it?

[...]

The idea that these people are praying, perhaps daily, that I will find god (of the bible) is to me the exact opposite of accepting that I'm an atheist."

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
06-08-2012, 11:22 AM
(06-08-2012 11:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 11:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They did.

"The back story isn't important, I'll skip straight to the scenario and the question. If you tell someone in your family that you love that you are an atheist and all you ask of them is to accept it, and they respond by telling you that a) they still love you no matter what you believe, but b) they are going to pray for you and especially c) they can't help but think that you'll change your mind one day ------ is it just me or is that explicitly not accepting it?

[...]

The idea that these people are praying, perhaps daily, that I will find god (of the bible) is to me the exact opposite of accepting that I'm an atheist."

Drinking Beverage

But the person said that they accept him for what he believes. That doesn't necessitate an acceptance of the belief nor a desire for a change to happen.

For example:

I accept that abortion is legal and accept the fact that it's considered a woman's right choose; however, that doesn't mean that I agree with it, nor would I want it to remain the status quo.

I would like for abortion to be illegal, but I don't see that happening. Do I accept women who get abortions? Absolutely. Do I agree with it? No.

If I'm not forcing my beliefs upon pro-choice people am I wrong for not wanting abortion?
If this person is not forcing their beliefs upon the OP are they wrong for not wanting him to be an atheist?

Should these women be insulted that I don't agree with abortion?
Should the OP be insulted that his loved one doesn't agree with atheism?

Is it wrong if I tell these woman that I hope they change their mind about abortion one day?
Is it wrong for the loved one to tell the OP that they hope that he changes his mind one day?

People have the right to their beliefs. If there is no forcing of beliefs, then you haven't infringed on anyone. Simply wanting something different for someone or a situation isn't wrong.

06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
(06-08-2012 11:22 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  People have the right to their beliefs. If there is no forcing of beliefs, then you haven't infringed on anyone. Simply wanting something different for someone or a situation isn't wrong.
Wanting someone to be a deluded isn't wrong? Consider I can understand that you have a hard time realizing what's wrong with being deluded if that description fits yourself.

06-08-2012, 11:34 AM
(06-08-2012 11:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 11:22 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  People have the right to their beliefs. If there is no forcing of beliefs, then you haven't infringed on anyone. Simply wanting something different for someone or a situation isn't wrong.
Wanting someone to be a deluded isn't wrong? Consider I can understand that you have a hard time realizing what's wrong with being deluded if that description fits yourself.

Your point of view =/= someone else's

A little empathy goes a long way.

You may think it's a delusion, but a Christian believes it's a reality. Knowing that, then you should realized that compliment that a Christian pays to someone by saying that they will pray.

If anything, your comment is forcing your system of belief upon someone else... exactly what we're trying to avoid.