I looooooove old movies!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2015, 01:46 AM
RE: I looooooove old movies!
My favorite old movie: The Sand Pebbles.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2015, 03:15 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
01-11-2015, 09:54 AM
(01-11-2015 01:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My favorite old movie: The Sand Pebbles.

Good call. Steve McQueen at his best. Not a personal choice for all-time favorite, but a great choice nevertheless!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
01-11-2015, 10:40 AM
I seems like there was more room for character actors and even actresses in the older movies. Today everyone, even most of the minor characters, need to be fairly good looking.

Marie Dressler was so much fun.

[Image: dinner-at-8-marie-dressler.jpg]

And then there was Edna May Oliver. OMG. She had this great horse face, ugly as sin, but she made a lot of money with her off kilter looks. Character actors had all the good lines too, usually snide and honest. Ol' Edna May, what a face!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-11-2015, 11:06 AM
(01-11-2015 10:40 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I seems like there was more room for character actors and even actresses in the older movies. Today everyone, even most of the minor characters, need to be fairly good looking.

Marie Dressler was so much fun.

And then there was Edna May Oliver. OMG. She had this great horse face, ugly as sin, but she made a lot of money with her off kilter looks. Character actors had all the good lines too, usually snide and honest. Ol' Edna May, what a face!

I don't think it's entirely dead. My favorite modern example is Judi Dench, who is fantastic in everything she does, but was especially glorious as Queen Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
01-11-2015, 11:35 AM
(01-11-2015 11:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't think it's entirely dead. My favorite modern example is Judi Dench, who is fantastic in everything she does, but was especially glorious as Queen Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love.

I'll have to check that out. Although... when I see her, I think of Jean Pargetter from "As Time Goes By."
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
01-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Oh, man, if you haven't seen Shakespeare in Love, make that your next rental (or download). It might not be quite as funny to people who aren't from a theatre background, since there are quite a few esoteric jokes in the script, but it's a great movie. Gwyneth Paltrow, Joseph Fiennes, and Geoffrey Rush are also particularly excellent in that film.

[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-11-2015, 09:50 PM
yeah me too ,,
08-11-2015, 12:46 AM
(01-11-2015 03:15 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

Well that was freaking disturbing Hobo

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-11-2015, 11:51 AM
(08-11-2015 12:46 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 03:15 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

Well that was freaking disturbing Hobo

That film was banned stateside for a long time.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.