I lost the brakes in my car while driving last Friday.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I lost the brakes in my car while driving last Friday.
It was still rainy from Isaac. I was on my way home from work (I took off early because we were heading to the beach). I had noticed my brakes weren't working as well as they had been over the past couple of days.

They were doing repair on some power lines and had one lane of traffic closed. I was going about 40 in a 45 and was following about 5-6 car lengths behind this SUV. The SUV stopped suddenly, but I saw it in plenty enough time, so I hit the brakes.

No go.

I just started sliding.

I didn't even think about what to do. I just swerved into the ditched. It just happened... instinctively. Kinda weird.

Anyway, I jumped two embankments and plowed through a stop sign. I came to rest on a gas line. I was literally a millimeter from taking it out.

The kicker is after the tow truck pulled me out, I drove it home. Not a scratch on it. Not even a dent.

Come to find out the braking system is shot, though (not due to the wreck). Drum is gone, basically.

My dad said that he's surprised I'm still alive considering all the bad things that could've happen while driving with no brakes.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2012, 07:27 AM
RE: I lost the brakes in my car while driving last Friday.
I'm glad you didn't get hurt, but it sounds like god is trying to do away with you. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 6 users Like frankiej's post
05-09-2012, 07:29 AM
(05-09-2012 07:24 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It was still rainy from Isaac. I was on my way home from work (I took off early because we were heading to the beach). I had noticed my brakes weren't working as well as they had been over the past couple of days.

They were doing repair on some power lines and had one lane of traffic closed. I was going about 40 in a 45 and was following about 5-6 car lengths behind this SUV. The SUV stopped suddenly, but I saw it in plenty enough time, so I hit the brakes.

No go.

I just started sliding.

I didn't even think about what to do. I just swerved into the ditched. It just happened... instinctively. Kinda weird.

Anyway, I jumped two embankments and plowed through a stop sign. I came to rest on a gas line. I was literally a millimeter from taking it out.

The kicker is after the tow truck pulled me out, I drove it home. Not a scratch on it. Not even a dent.

Come to find out the braking system is shot, though (not due to the wreck). Drum is gone, basically.

My dad said that he's surprised I'm still alive considering all the bad things that could've happen while driving with no brakes.

Scary shit, glad you're OK.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Holy Shcnikes!

That is a scary feeling, I've been there. I was in my pick-up truck once (a chevy long-wheel base) coming out of a tunnel that had a curve after it. The truck was very light in the back-end and that makes it really easy to lose control of. As I came out of the tunnel and started around the curve on a slightly wet pavement, the back-end started to accelerate faster than the rest of the truck, aka it was sliding. I started to correct but it slid back to far, I corrected again and again it went to far, a few more corrections and I thought I was regaining control, when all of a sudden I lost it completely and did a 360 across 4 lanes of traffic and wound up in a parking lot. Luckily no one was behind me or coming from the other direction. The kill-switch had activated so I just started it back-up and drove off. Scared the Jesus out of me. Slightly wet roads are dangerous because any oil that has been spilled onto the road is displaced upwards and without any additional rain, it doesn't get washed off and just stays on the surface as a freaking oil-slick.

Glad our favorite Theist is still with us.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
05-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Great thanks a lot KC, now you got me a little worried. My read tire squeaks when I brake (a sign the pads are low) and has been doing it for like the last couple months...

Lucky on a bike we got control over both front and back individually.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
05-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Safety items on a vehicle should never be ignored. You can skimp on spark plugs, skimp on the coolant you use, even skimp on shitty oil... but seats, belts, brakes and suspension items are things you never ignore. In the future if brakes seem "not as good" it should be a red flag.

Brakes do not gradually go bad over days usually unless there is metal to metal, or if you are looking at imminent hydraulic failure. Better to be safe than dead.. I am probably more anal about it than most but that's because I work on old german cars and make a habit about being meticulous with my vehicles.

Every time your foot hits that pedal, it should be with confidence that it will work. Your life (or someone else) may depend on it.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
05-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Wow - good you were able to ditch it. Glad you're ok, Kingsy. Thumbsup

Heard you had a spot of rain down there... brakes and water do not mix.
If it's been raining or if I've been doing a lot of puddle driving, I'll periodically pump my brakes in traffic. A quick pump now and then will: help to dry brakes out (at least that's what I tell myself it does Wink ), reassure you the brakes will be there when needed, and it will also let you know if there's a problem before there's a serious problem... like a crash.

I'm a professional puddle driver - they call to me.

I am not ashamed. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
05-09-2012, 09:03 AM
(05-09-2012 07:24 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It was still rainy from Isaac. I was on my way home from work (I took off early because we were heading to the beach). I had noticed my brakes weren't working as well as they had been over the past couple of days.

No go.

I just started sliding.

It's a clear sign from god that you should be an atheist.
[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Good instinctive reactions for the ditch, I've done the same myself (though I hit fluffy gentle snow and stopped there). You must have felt pretty shook up after, those nerves! Glad you are okay!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Glad you are okay.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post