Poll: Do you like documentaries?
Yep!
Nope!
Sometimes, dunno, who cares....
Let me see if I find a documentary on documentaries.
[Show Results]

I love documentaries!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Smile I love documentaries!
I must tell you, I love documentaries. They are very entertaining. I know that a lot of them are, simply put, bs, but I find them highly entertaining, and depending on what channel and topic etc, you can actually learn something. And if you watch enough documentaries from different channels and reporters and so on, but on the same topic, it is nearly like reading books about it. You get to learn about the different points of view on one topic, and then you can still look the up what is missing in your opinion.

For example. I just had a week off. And I saw documentaries on a few topics.
Some where on Satanism and people who grew up in Satanic cults. I have read about Satanism before (a whole lot) and I have been friends with Satanists, and I have known a few more. I feel, my knowledge on the topic is really growing, I saw a completely different site of this whole thing. It was very disturbing but it was worth it!

I also saw a lot of documentaries on human trafficing and slavery. I read and saw about it before. And I have followed lacy green's charity event that was about children/teens in brothels (which is also directly connected to both, human trafficing and slavery).

Another topic, that I followed up on, was being fat/thin. Why people get eating disorders so easily nowadays. This topic goes so much deeper than it sounds in the beginning. It is about mental disorders, about genetic disorders, about the growing fast food culture, about education, and much more.

I am so amazed at how much I actually learned (although this is useless in everyday life) just from watching so many documentaries on these topics (and of course the proper reading work before/after (depending on topic))

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
13-05-2012, 03:47 PM
RE: I love documentaries!
A few exceptions withstanding, documentaries are the only programs I watch.

That said, I can be pretty picky. So many out there are biased, filled with misinformation, over dramatized to appeal to our dwindling attention spans, or otherwise filled with ,"half-truths", that I often get frustrated. I probably only watch a third of the documentaries I start right through. Talk about dwindling attention span huh?

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
13-05-2012, 03:53 PM
You are right Stark
I started like 3 about being fat before I completed one.
Most annoying are those that really just focus on one part of the topic and everything else does not count.
But apart from those, love 'em.

13-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I watched a tonne on food source and religious.

Has anyone seen Blue Gold? About water source and ownership? Any recommendations for something like this?

Love documentaries! But, yes, they are usually partial.
14-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Lady, yes I saw something once, when I am home I will check. It was about kid soldiers but the documentary started with someone explaining about water source ownership in that particular country. I will check that when I'm home Smile

14-05-2012, 11:57 AM
I like some documentaries, though I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan. One of my favorites is Bigger, Stronger, Faster*, which on the surface seems to be a docudrama/documentary about steroids or PEDs. But steroids just got the largest share of attention because they are the most obvious and sensationalistic manifestation of the deeper issues being investigated, which are about serious problems with American culture, how we view ourselves, etc. And the fact that the director/creator's brother, who played a prominent role in the movie, died of a drug overdose not too long after the movie came out, really put an exclamation point on things.
14-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Love me some documentaries as well.

LJ, if you liked Blue Gold: Water Wars, check out Flow.
Food, Inc. isn't too bad if you don't mind being depresessed about our food supply.
My all time fave is King of Kong...about dweebie guys still fighting over who can get the highest score on the old school Donkey Kong arcade game.
Then there is Monster Camp where you can watch to make fun of people like Smooshmonster.
King Corn is about a couple of guys who decide to grow an acre of corn in Iowa to learn how pervasive corn has become to our economy.
Man on Wire is a thrilling documentary about a dude who walks on tight ropes across amazingly high places, like between the World Trade Center Buildings (pre-2001 of course).
The Fog of War is a great movie about the politics behind Vietnam.
Cave of Forgotten Dreams is a Werner Herzog film given special access to the prehistoric cave drawings in Chauvet Cave in southern France.
I could go on and on and on, but I'll wait until you've all watched all of these and then when you're ready to move on, I'll give you some more suggestions.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
14-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Documentaries are great. I watch them, but not frequently- maybe one every few weeks or so. I watch a lot of stuff on Netflix and I watch most of the documentaries from there. Thumbsup

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
14-05-2012, 12:51 PM
wow Erxomai, I think after that load I don't have to find that docu anymore hah Big Grin

14-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I love documentaries!

I hate it too, when they are blatantly biased. However, I tend to think most are biased in some way, so I usually try to find out everything I can about the subject, so I will at least know the whole story.

I can highly recommend Inside Job -very informative about the economic disaster. Good idea to keep a note pad handy - you'll want to take names.

Another good one I didn't expect was The Tillman Story - wow!

I actually own various WWII documentaries -European and Pacific theater. That can be an obsessive subject.

Really, just about any kind of informative film with an emphasis on history or historical accuracy is something I always search for. It's a great way to make learning a relaxing and entertaining experience. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.