I love this forum, and like 99% of the people on it, but…

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2012, 05:32 PM
RE: I love this forum, and like 99% of the people on it, but…
Wait, if 99% of people on this forum are like this, who are the 1%?

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2012, 06:18 PM
(03-12-2012 04:37 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  7. Guilty. Nobody has vehemently objected to my sense of humor up to now. I am easily distracted. But also, when conversations become heated I turn to humor to cool the mood. Perhaps this comes form being a child of divorced parents? Still, I do now see that it's not all fun and games here all the time. I try to be as respectful of that as I can. If anyone is ever offended or annoyed about my humorous interjections just push my Reset button.

8. Guilty. But, then, I'm software QA, for an engineering company. I'm very accustomed to operating in an environment where I'm surrounded by a lot of people who know a lot more than I do about the stuff we're working with.

11. Fairly sure I've been guilty of this on occasion. But, my established humility from my work environment tends to keep that in check...most of the time.

12. I like to think I try my damnedest to avoid this one. My rule is, "ask questions, get to know them before you decide who they are." But, again, human.

13. GUILTY!

14. OK, this one bugs me. Ya know, not everyone is an academic. If you're saying the only people who should be allowed to comment on a thread are folks with credentials then I would have a problem with that. I agree that it's not helpful for someone who has no idea what they're talking about to comment on something (which I think I may have done a couple times). But, you're not suggesting some form of elitism, are you? Am I not understanding?

Still sorta new to inhabiting a forum as a member of a community. Still learning my place here. I, not being as learned as some members here, am frequently intimidated by some threads, so I just read, and perhaps toss out the occasional "thank you."

I'm trying my best to be polite, but I do have a tendency toward "class clown." I sincerely hope it never offends.

I've not regretted coming back to check this place out. I've learned a lot and I'm liking the people here more with each read. Thanks everyone!

No 14 is "14. An inability to adequately express themselves"

All I meant was that sometimes people put sentences together that just don't make sense. I've done it occasionally, but sometimes people have many sentences in the one post that obviously don't say what they're trying to say, usually due to poor English. That's just carelessness (usually). It doesn't matter if someone is an "academic" or not. Nor does it matter if someone knows very little about a topic, provided they know it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2012, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 06:59 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(03-12-2012 05:32 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  Wait, if 99% of people on this forum are like this, who are the 1%?

I wasn't suggesting 99% are like this. What I meant was that very occasionally some people have too many of these faults expressed too often, and discussion with them becomes frustrating. If we have an awareness of these common faults, maybe we can remind ourselves of them so we don't frustrate people. I am going to try to minimise these faults in myself.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user