I love watching Jeremy Clarkson make excuses for American cars..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I love watching Jeremy Clarkson make excuses for American cars..
I'm watching the 2009 season of Top Gear on Netflix. The ZR1 Corvette just smoked the Audi R8 w/ the Gallardo V-10 and he can't help himself but to hate it because it's American even though it's by far the superior car. There is no question the Audi has a better interior but there is also no question that from a racing/engineering point of view the Corvette is the vastly superior racing machine. Nurburgring lap times prove this point. I also don't get why he hates the styling so much. It's very similar to the Ferrari California only better and would blow the doors off it.

BTW I'm a huge Chevy hater. I'm a Ford guy.

[Image: corvette-zr1-wallpaper.jpg]

Does that not look like a Ferrari California had sex with an SLS AMG?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2012, 06:08 PM
RE: I love watching Jeremy Clarkson make excuses for American cars..
(30-08-2012 04:41 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I'm watching the 2009 season of Top Gear on Netflix. The ZR1 Corvette just smoked the Audi R8 w/ the Gallardo V-10 and he can't help himself but to hate it because it's American even though it's by far the superior car. There is no question the Audi has a better interior but there is also no question that from a racing/engineering point of view the Corvette is the vastly superior racing machine. Nurburgring lap times prove this point. I also don't get why he hates the styling so much. It's very similar to the Ferrari California only better and would blow the doors off it.

I love Top Gear and Jeremy, and I share his dislike of American cars. Despite the performance of the Vette, it will always suffer in comparisons on Top Gear due to the interior layout, construction and styling, which for some reason, American manufacturers are just not able to do a good job on. The Audi A8/R8s are awesome cars. I think overall the Germans make the best cars.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
31-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Interesting fact about Clarkson is that the only American car he liked was a Corvette C6. And it's not like he just hates American cars, he always explains everything in detail, why those cars are bad, when compared to their European competition. It must be that this Corvette C6 is really something special.

I haven't seen the episode with ZR1, but this looks great. Actually, most of the American cars look great to me, it just that the mechanics are not as good as the looks are.

There was one special American car that Clarkson wanted really bad. His Ford GT. When he finally got the Ford GT, he was more than disappointed. First, it was way too big for British roads, but that was his problem, not the cars, what was the cars problem is the amount of times it went to the repairs. In the first year his GT spent more time in the mechanics than in his garage, or on the road. It was the car that he waited 2 years to come out, he ordered it and paid it in advanced...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
31-08-2012, 08:12 AM
I love Top Gear, Clarkson is a riot. I have never been a fan of Vettes, I like to drive fast in corners and they don't handle the best there.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
31-08-2012, 08:18 AM
I don't think Clarkson is overly critical of American cars, at least not in comparison with his level of criticism of any other nationalities cars (they also make subtle digs at British cars, like an entire episode devoted to small British sports cars). For the most part it also has to do with how the car feels, not just how it performs. They review a lot of cars that handle well and drive well, but if they are too automated they describe it as basically driving itself, and they see that as taking away from the car. When the technology plays a role but isn't in your face is when they seem to enjoy it most.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
31-08-2012, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2012 08:39 AM by Filox.)
Yes, TBD got it just right, took the words out of my mouth. But the way they described this Z06, one has to think that is some seriously good car, for cornering, for speed, for driving, for comfort even...

I made a mistake in my first post, i said C6, but no, it's the Z06

I think it's this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9kzyqW-l8

Skip to 4:50, I nearly died of laughter... I love this guy, I love these stereotypes...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
31-08-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't really like cars that much, but I do enjoy Top Gear.

I much prefer boats that I could sail the seas with... yarr...

[Image: opforum1.png]
31-08-2012, 11:04 AM
(31-08-2012 10:56 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I don't really like cars that much, but I do enjoy Top Gear.

I much prefer boats that I could sail the seas with... yarr...

International Talk Like a Pirate Day is on Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-08-2012, 11:13 AM
I talk like a pirate everyday. I love One Piece so much that I just can't help it.

[Image: opforum1.png]