I'm An Atheist. But I can speak in tongues.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 12:18 AM
RE: I'm An Atheist. But I can speak in tongues.
I just like churches. A building where your supposed to stfu and chill the fuck out. I like empty churches... I like the architecture, I like stained glass windows, I like all the fancy paraphernalia you need to worship God... organs and rector's stands and choir stalls... banners on the wall. They're beautiful things... I like that the church is a community effort, everything in there is paid for or made by the community. Of course to my mind it's a waste of time *if worshiping a non-existent God is the purpose*, but as a nice, community thing to do... it's awesome Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 05:26 AM
Speaking in tongues? Why yes, I do. Four of them to be precise Tongue

(24-03-2013 12:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  I just like churches. A building where your supposed to stfu and chill the fuck out. I like empty churches... I like the architecture, I like stained glass windows, I like all the fancy paraphernalia you need to worship God... organs and rector's stands and choir stalls... banners on the wall. They're beautiful things... I like that the church is a community effort, everything in there is paid for or made by the community. Of course to my mind it's a waste of time *if worshiping a non-existent God is the purpose*, but as a nice, community thing to do... it's awesome Smile

I like churches, too, esp. ours (hate organs though) - they are quite darkish, and peaceful and smell of incense (which I also love). At my previous job there was a nice church close by and I would often go there before work, quite early, so it was pretty much empty. Very peaceful (and conducive to deluding yourself you were in god's presence).
This is my favourite one in Sofia (never been inside, though).
[Image: 20110701_0064.jpg]

I know I've posted pictures before, but I also think we have very beautiful monasteries.
[Image: 519x415.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
24-03-2013, 05:37 AM
(23-03-2013 07:27 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 07:23 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Also did you have to act it out or did it come naturally; did it really feel like the Holy Ghost was inside you?
What, exactly, does it feel like to have something that doesn't exist, inside you? Consider
Well, think about it. Sit back, right now, in your chair, and think about how you feel. Really dwell on your state of being. Maybe you feel a little hungry; maybe you feel a little tired; maybe you can tell you'll have to piss pretty soon...just think about your overall bodily sensations. What you "feel" like right now.

What you're feeling is the sensation of having the essence of a 7-foot-long, 5th dimensional, ectoplasmic, nonexistent kayak impaled through your chest. Smile

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
25-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:Gee, I thought the Holy Ghost left when you became an atheist.
Well, you started from a false premise. A Christian who believes in assurance would say you still have the Holy Spirit. Or do you have a Bible verse that says God leaves you after you are born again when you become an Atheist or other backslidden Christian?
25-03-2013, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:21 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
25-03-2013, 03:11 PM
(23-03-2013 09:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Does anyone know what you are saying when you speak in these tongues? Do you? Is there a Rosetta Stone for this?

They aren't speaking any actual language. Speaking in tongues is a colloqialism for "glossolalia," and people are simply using vocal rhythms and sounds already known to the speaker (I've seen videos of people doing this, and they sound almost like cooing, babbling infants with no actual language structure). It most assuredly impresses gullible onlookers, as I've mentioned before, and nothing more. There is a term--xenoglossy--that describes people who have spoken words or entire phrases from a language they are not fluent in. Of the known cases of xenoglossy that have been subjected to scientific inquiry, one is girl in India who could sing songs in Bengali though her native language is Hindi (I am a native English speaker, but I can sing French songs almost flawlessly, it means very little), another is a psychiatric patient in India who seemingly has multiple personalities and one of those personalities speaks a language unknown the the woman in an un-psychotic state (likely, she learned the lanugage while behaving/thinking as the alternate and is now fluent in that state of psychosis only), and two were Americans under hypnosis. There is also a 1931 case from Blackpool where a girl was speaking an Ancient Egyptian dialect and was studied; the Egyptologist who studied her was later found to have manipulated his study to fit his agenda.

Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries, and your theology out of my biology.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." --Dr. House
[+] 2 users Like darthbreezy's post
25-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I had a similar experience this Sunday in Church. They played one of my old favorites and it was like "The spirit" hit me and all of those worshipful feelings flooded over me.

Mental conditioning at it's best.

(23-03-2013 10:45 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I have similar experiences, onedream. Although I can't speak in tongues, I still get an emotional response when I am forced persuaded to go to church. I get the feeling of another, much more powerful presence in the building. It makes my hair stand up on edge, and a cold shiver run down my back. I get an emotional, almost devout, response when I sing some of my favorite hymnals.

I sometimes slip up and say 'Under God' in the pledge.

Mine is a product of conditioning, and I am sure yours is as well. It's amazing how powerful indoctrination is.
25-03-2013, 08:38 PM
It's simple deduction based on scripture.

"He who comes to him must believe that he is, and that he rewards them who seek him."

If you don't believe he is, you can't continue coming to him. Right?

Also, Paul talks about those who have once tasted the Holy Spirit, and then backslide, cannot again be brought again to repentance because they crucify the Son of Man afresh...

So, no. According to scripture, God doesn't leave you. But you reject him and he's shut out essentially.
(25-03-2013 06:43 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Gee, I thought the Holy Ghost left when you became an atheist.
Well, you started from a false premise. A Christian who believes in assurance would say you still have the Holy Spirit. Or do you have a Bible verse that says God leaves you after you are born again when you become an Atheist or other backslidden Christian?
25-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Well, I'm intellectually Agnostic. But Atheist in practice.

Penn Jillette Explains it nicely.

(23-03-2013 09:08 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  You've progressed from agnostic to atheist?

This is a very quick deconversion. I hope you can share your story, as much as you're able. And of course we're all here for you to talk to. If you have any questions on science send me a PM or make a thread and I'll try to answer. Smile
25-03-2013, 09:03 PM
(25-03-2013 03:11 PM)darthbreezy Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 09:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Does anyone know what you are saying when you speak in these tongues? Do you? Is there a Rosetta Stone for this?

They aren't speaking any actual language. Speaking in tongues is a colloqialism for "glossolalia," and people are simply using vocal rhythms and sounds already known to the speaker (I've seen videos of people doing this, and they sound almost like cooing, babbling infants with no actual language structure). It most assuredly impresses gullible onlookers, as I've mentioned before, and nothing more. There is a term--xenoglossy--that describes people who have spoken words or entire phrases from a language they are not fluent in. Of the known cases of xenoglossy that have been subjected to scientific inquiry, one is girl in India who could sing songs in Bengali though her native language is Hindi (I am a native English speaker, but I can sing French songs almost flawlessly, it means very little), another is a psychiatric patient in India who seemingly has multiple personalities and one of those personalities speaks a language unknown the the woman in an un-psychotic state (likely, she learned the lanugage while behaving/thinking as the alternate and is now fluent in that state of psychosis only), and two were Americans under hypnosis. There is also a 1931 case from Blackpool where a girl was speaking an Ancient Egyptian dialect and was studied; the Egyptologist who studied her was later found to have manipulated his study to fit his agenda.
Obviously, I forgot to use the sarcasm font.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF