I'm Going to be Part of a Church Service this Sunday.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2013, 10:46 AM
RE: I'm Going to be Part of a Church Service this Sunday.
(29-06-2013 03:03 PM)cufflink Wrote:  DL:

Hope I didn't come across as being unsympathetic to your situation. I realize only too well what these things are like.

When my father died back in New York, and again years later when my mother died, I fully participated in the Orthodox Jewish rituals. So did my brother. As was expected of the eldest son, I gave the eulogy for my dad and carried out the 7-day ritual mourning period that followed like a "good son," all the while knowing what the rabbi and the orthodox community my parents were a part of would have thought about my brother and me, had they known we were a couple of gay atheists. Not to have done so would have been scandalous, and would have dishonored my parents in the eyes of their community.

Family matters are complicated.

Yeah, it is like a miniature version of that. Not as serious as a loved one dying, but a similar dilemma I think. I could've said no with less consequence than you would've felt I think. At most I would've hurt some feelings and gotten some nasty looks from extended family, and probably people speaking ill of me when I'm not around. I would not have been thought of fondly by some of the family for a while, but they would've gotten over it.

In any case I did it. It was probably worse than I thought it was going to be in some ways, and not as bad in others. The worse was we were obligated to do a pledge to the flag, the Christian flag, and the bible....I stood in silence and got a couple of curious looks. Additionally, 'the message' was in part political appeals to emotion and arrogant claims about our country and God. It wasn't all bad though, there was no real traditional sermon, no reading from the bible, and additionally they decided to sing a verse from each respective service song from all the branches of the military. Not only am I fond of all of the service songs (excepting the Coast Guard) but my branch, the Navy, has a service song all about drinking and killing. They opted to sing about drinking, something they oppose, so it was kind of enjoyable hearing the church choir sing "Driiiinnk to the foam!" Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
(30-06-2013 10:46 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  The worse was we were obligated to do a pledge to the flag, the Christian flag, and the bible....

There's a Christian flag??? Huh Hobo

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
01-07-2013, 03:07 PM
(01-07-2013 01:38 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 10:46 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  The worse was we were obligated to do a pledge to the flag, the Christian flag, and the bible....

There's a Christian flag??? Huh Hobo

[Image: 303064195_640.jpg]

I've seen these in every Southern Baptist Church I've ever been in. I've always heard it called the Christian flag. I dunno if these are used elsewhere or in other denominations.

04-07-2013, 10:02 AM
(01-07-2013 03:07 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 01:38 PM)cufflink Wrote:  There's a Christian flag??? Huh Hobo

I've seen these in every Southern Baptist Church I've ever been in. I've always heard it called the Christian flag. I dunno if these are used elsewhere or in other denominations.

Ugly as sin. Tongue

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
10-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Wow, I'd never heard of or seen a xian flag. Pretty absurd. Kudos to you for going. I know I am drawn into going to church when we visit my mother-in-law, as she's older and it's a comfort for family to be there. All the while, I do as a previous poster stated, which is view it as an opportunity to examine the views, much like an anthropologist. I also critically examine any statement, and am pretty much face-palming within the first few minutes of the sermon. During prayer, I do like you and keep silent. I also keep my head up, eyes open. I figure that if anyone complains, it's because the only way they can see me is if they're doing the same thing. And then there's the verse in the NT about praying in private, not in public, etc.
So, was anything said to you afterwards by anyone in the church, or your grandmother, about the service?
11-07-2013, 12:30 AM
(10-07-2013 12:24 PM)mbrewer Wrote:  Wow, I'd never heard of or seen a xian flag. Pretty absurd. Kudos to you for going. I know I am drawn into going to church when we visit my mother-in-law, as she's older and it's a comfort for family to be there. All the while, I do as a previous poster stated, which is view it as an opportunity to examine the views, much like an anthropologist. I also critically examine any statement, and am pretty much face-palming within the first few minutes of the sermon. During prayer, I do like you and keep silent. I also keep my head up, eyes open. I figure that if anyone complains, it's because the only way they can see me is if they're doing the same thing. And then there's the verse in the NT about praying in private, not in public, etc.
So, was anything said to you afterwards by anyone in the church, or your grandmother, about the service?

No, nothing was said, at least nothing negative, just the "Thanks for doing it", "Thanks for your service" and so on. It was uncomfortable for me, but that's okay. Although it was unpleasant for me I did it for someone who goes out of her way for me all the time. She will never know that it was a big deal for me, but that's okay too. She is such a sweet woman, it was worth it.

11-07-2013, 12:34 AM
(01-07-2013 03:07 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 01:38 PM)cufflink Wrote:  There's a Christian flag???

They couldn't have been a little more... you know... creative? I could take a nicer crap. Dodgy
13-07-2013, 06:46 AM
(11-07-2013 12:34 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 03:07 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  [Image: 303064195_640.jpg]

They couldn't have been a little more... you know... creative? I could take a nicer crap. Dodgy

Well when you do so, you'll have a right to complain. Until then, keep yo shit to yoself, dawg. Wut?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Oh! Who can say the pledge allegiance thingy without looking it up?

All I've got is...

I pledge allegiance, to the Christian flag, and to the Savior for which it stands. ... And then a bunch of stuff I don't remember yet.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Pledging allegiance to the flag huh ? What a bizarre concept.