I'm Gonna Make Me Some Alcohol!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 04:15 AM
Wink I'm Gonna Make Me Some Alcohol!
So I've toyed with the idea of doing this for years now, but I've decided to pursue it finally. I'm gonna trade in my my old school books to amazon, and turn those gift cards into equipment to make something more fun, and delicious (hopefully). Those of you who know me know I love beer. Beer, beer, beer. Magically delicious beer. If anyone on here does this I'd appreciate any tips or pointers by the way. Anyhow, after doing some reading, and researching, It looks to me as if wine and mead is a simpler process, though it does require more patience. Now I'm not too much on wine, but I'm curious about mead (please don't tell beer). Should I keep it simple and just try my hand at a relatively short mead (a few months wait) or just go for a good stout or porter? Right now I'm contemplating the idea of making a gallon of mead in an old glass vinegar jug/carboy, and making a 5 gallon brew of porter in my new carboy. Any advice? Should I do the reverse and make a gallon of beer and 5 gallons of mead? But damn honey is expensive!

Any advice is appreciated.Smile

If you don't like my grammar, I really don't give a shit.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
24-05-2013, 05:43 AM
RE: I'm Gonna Make Me Some Alcohol!
Invest in a second carboy and do a full five gallon batch of each. Small one gallon runs will always disappoint because you'll wish you'd gotten more for the time you spent.

Too bad you aren't closer. I have six carboys and a whole bunch of gear that I haven't used for years. Ida given it to ya!

Pro tip - always keep a spare, sanitized 5 gal pail around. Always.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
24-05-2013, 07:04 AM
(24-05-2013 05:43 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Invest in a second carboy and do a full five gallon batch of each. Small one gallon runs will always disappoint because you'll wish you'd gotten more for the time you spent.

Too bad you aren't closer. I have six carboys and a whole bunch of gear that I haven't used for years. Ida given it to ya!

Pro tip - always keep a spare, sanitized 5 gal pail around. Always.

Ha! If I lived closer you'd end up giving me more than the means to make alcohol, then I'd be in trouble, so it's probably best you're up north Tongue Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Did you make beer, wine, and/or other?

24-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Beer and wine. Made mead a couple times too. Wasn't a fan though.

Been a few years though. Don't drink anymore.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
24-05-2013, 10:09 AM
(24-05-2013 07:17 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Beer and wine. Made mead a couple times too. Wasn't a fan though.

Been a few years though. Don't drink anymore.

And I don't drink anyless.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
24-05-2013, 10:45 AM
(24-05-2013 04:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  So I've toyed with the idea of doing this for years now, but I've decided to pursue it finally. I'm gonna trade in my my old school books to amazon, and turn those gift cards into equipment to make something more fun, and delicious (hopefully). Those of you who know me know I love beer. Beer, beer, beer. Magically delicious beer. If anyone on here does this I'd appreciate any tips or pointers by the way. Anyhow, after doing some reading, and researching, It looks to me as if wine and mead is a simpler process, though it does require more patience. Now I'm not too much on wine, but I'm curious about mead (please don't tell beer). Should I keep it simple and just try my hand at a relatively short mead (a few months wait) or just go for a good stout or porter? Right now I'm contemplating the idea of making a gallon of mead in an old glass vinegar jug/carboy, and making a 5 gallon brew of porter in my new carboy. Any advice? Should I do the reverse and make a gallon of beer and 5 gallons of mead? But damn honey is expensive!

My husband has home brewed for almost 25 years now is a member of BJCP (so he can actually judge in competitions). I have too home brewed...I've done extracts, partial mashes and all grain...

I would invest in stuff that allows you to brew outside because boil-overs in a kitchen just fucking suck. He does 5 and 10 gallon batches...

5 Gallons are totally manageable.

I'll take a picture of my husband's system...If anyone is interested.

I think we still have a few bottles of Apple Pear mead we made a few years ago...

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

24-05-2013, 01:04 PM
(24-05-2013 10:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 04:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  So I've toyed with the idea of doing this for years now, but I've decided to pursue it finally. I'm gonna trade in my my old school books to amazon, and turn those gift cards into equipment to make something more fun, and delicious (hopefully). Those of you who know me know I love beer. Beer, beer, beer. Magically delicious beer. If anyone on here does this I'd appreciate any tips or pointers by the way. Anyhow, after doing some reading, and researching, It looks to me as if wine and mead is a simpler process, though it does require more patience. Now I'm not too much on wine, but I'm curious about mead (please don't tell beer). Should I keep it simple and just try my hand at a relatively short mead (a few months wait) or just go for a good stout or porter? Right now I'm contemplating the idea of making a gallon of mead in an old glass vinegar jug/carboy, and making a 5 gallon brew of porter in my new carboy. Any advice? Should I do the reverse and make a gallon of beer and 5 gallons of mead? But damn honey is expensive!

My husband has home brewed for almost 25 years now is a member of BJCP (so he can actually judge in competitions). I have too home brewed...I've done extracts, partial mashes and all grain...

I would invest in stuff that allows you to brew outside because boil-overs in a kitchen just fucking suck. He does 5 and 10 gallon batches...

I think we still have a few bottles of Apple Pear mead we made a few years ago...

Woah! Put on the brakes. I'm still testing the waters, be gentle! I'm talking about doing my first batch. I'm investing in a minimalist set-up for the time being. Sounds like I've found the lady to ask my questions to though. Big Grin Expect to see a few on here in the coming weeks Thumbsup

I know the ingredient kits are pretty popular, but don't those usually employ extracts? Seems to me that going with the real deal would be better and cheaper, am I wrong?

24-05-2013, 02:35 PM
(24-05-2013 01:04 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 10:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My husband has home brewed for almost 25 years now is a member of BJCP (so he can actually judge in competitions). I have too home brewed...I've done extracts, partial mashes and all grain...

Woah! Put on the brakes. I'm still testing the waters, be gentle! I'm talking about doing my first batch. I'm investing in a minimalist set-up for the time being. Sounds like I've found the lady to ask my questions to though. Big Grin Expect to see a few on here in the coming weeks Thumbsup

I know the ingredient kits are pretty popular, but don't those usually employ extracts? Seems to me that going with the real deal would be better and cheaper, am I wrong?

My first beer was a porter. Smile

The kits are mostly crap. And ya they are mostly extract. Don't think tho, for your first batch you should jump into all grain. Because then you need to worry about sparging...and a much larger system for transferring...multiple kettles etc.

Assuming you have a home-brew shop in your area...a partial mash is relatively simple. A few specialty grains are steeped in warm water for a time, then disguarded. (never boil the grain) then you add the malt extract, water, and boil.

Hops are (can be) added at different times to balance out the sweetness of the malt. Porters should be by style fairly low on hop. A nice east kent Golding. With some added for the full boil (60 minutes) and then again at 30 and 15 maybe.

You will need a way of chilling the beer after the boil quickly. Typically a wort chiller is best...drop it into the pot 10 minutes before the end of boil and the run very cold water through it to bring down the temperature. But....you can cover the pot with a tght fitting lid and put the pot in ice water...it takes a long time because after the boil for a 5 gallon batch you should yield about 4.5 gallons.

Time is important. Sanitize everything that can possibly come into contact with cooled wort.

Generally two fermentation process..primary and secondary...(beer must be transferred) then bottled or kegged after its done with the secondary fermentation.

An infected beer won't kill you. It won't even make you sick....it just won't taste right and is very discouraging.

Check out the book The Cmplete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian.

He breaks down the process quite nicely.

I know it sounds daunting...but it's really not at all...

It's really a lot of fun.

24-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Also, to do the boil outdoors you just need a big stock pot with a lid and propane burner. You can find ones in restaurant supply stores at a decent price (dont buy at home brew shops cause they'll probably over charge for them).

The mess from a boil over (and they do happen quickly because you need a hard fast boil) is really a HUGE mess. Sticky....ugh.

There was a reason I totally threw my husband out of the house when he began brewing.

24-05-2013, 04:43 PM
I think I may just start with a gallon of mead to stick my toes in the water. The beer brewing project is adding up quickly, and I don't have a big budget to blow. I'm trying to get started with about $150-$200 bucks. Beer just seems much more expensive. Maybe I can add a piece of equipment here and there. Plus I would need to buy a 5 gallon pot, as of right now I have a 3 gallon. I dunno...we'll see.