I'm Gonna go insane >.<

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2016, 09:24 AM
RE: I'm Gonna go insane >.<
(21-04-2016 06:19 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Do you know the story with the possessed man and the pigs? In Mark 5, there's one man. In Matthew 8, there are two men. How is this not a contradiction? In both texts, the demons are put into pigs and those pigs are drowned. Both take place in the sam location. In both, the demon possessed people are by the tombs. In both, the people tell the townsfolk about what Jesus has done. In both, the the townsfolk tell Jesus to leave. It's definitely the same event, but they couldn't agree on how many people were possessed?

Matthew tells how many men were possessed. One of the men wanted to follow Jesus, but Jesus sent him back to his own people so he could tell them what God had done for them. Mark tells us this man's experience while Matthew doesn't. He doesn't actually say he was the only one delivered.

Matthew and Mark simply differ on which details they share. There is no actual contradiction between them.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2016, 10:07 AM
(22-04-2016 09:24 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 06:19 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Do you know the story with the possessed man and the pigs? In Mark 5, there's one man. In Matthew 8, there are two men. How is this not a contradiction? In both texts, the demons are put into pigs and those pigs are drowned. Both take place in the sam location. In both, the demon possessed people are by the tombs. In both, the people tell the townsfolk about what Jesus has done. In both, the the townsfolk tell Jesus to leave. It's definitely the same event, but they couldn't agree on how many people were possessed?

Matthew tells how many men were possessed. One of the men wanted to follow Jesus, but Jesus sent him back to his own people so he could tell them what God had done for them. Mark tells us this man's experience while Matthew doesn't. He doesn't actually say he was the only one delivered.

Matthew and Mark simply differ on which details they share. There is no actual contradiction between them.

The chapters never say that just one of two men wanted to follow jesus. Matthew says that there are two men whose demons are driven out. Mark says there is one man. If it's supposed to be how you say it is, they why couldn't Mark say that there were two men? It would be much simpler. What happened to the other man?

To me, what you're saying is a bit of a stretch.
Find all posts by this user
23-04-2016, 08:01 AM
(22-04-2016 10:07 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  The chapters never say that just one of two men wanted to follow jesus. Matthew says that there are two men whose demons are driven out. Mark says there is one man. If it's supposed to be how you say it is, they why couldn't Mark say that there were two men? It would be much simpler. What happened to the other man?

Whenever two people describe an event that both of them have seen there will be differences in which details each of them includes.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2016, 09:28 AM
(21-04-2016 06:20 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 06:15 PM)Fireball Wrote:  How long before you can escape the asylum?

School: Late May I believe.
Home: August this year.

Yay.
Just tell em "Christ, give it a rest, for fuck sake. LEAVE ME ALONE".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-04-2016, 09:46 AM
(23-04-2016 08:01 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Whenever two people describe make up an event that both of them have seen there will be differences in which details each of them includes.

The gospels are in NO WAY history, IN ANY WAY.
The major scholars do not even WASTE their time discussing the subject.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...spels.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Bug RE: I'm Gonna go insane >.<
(21-04-2016 07:16 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm seriously gonna go insane if I don't leave this environment. I'm tired and scared and stressed out. I'm also really vulnerable. People keep bringing up God when he has nothing to do with anything. It's really scary because he's in everyone's head and they're trying to inject him into mine. All because of a book with disputable authors written years ago rewritten, changed, and translated into many languages. I know it will end, but it's so hard. I will have a lot more peace when religion isn't shoved into every hole in body and then forced out of me. It's eating me alive

If I go crazy would you still call me Übermensch?

#sigh
23-04-2016, 03:13 PM
(23-04-2016 08:01 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 10:07 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  The chapters never say that just one of two men wanted to follow jesus. Matthew says that there are two men whose demons are driven out. Mark says there is one man. If it's supposed to be how you say it is, they why couldn't Mark say that there were two men? It would be much simpler. What happened to the other man?

Whenever two people describe an event that both of them have seen there will be differences in which details each of them includes.

The difference in details would be small. I'm talking about people. It's not hard to say that there were two people whose demons were sent out. It's one thing to just go into detail about one person. It's another thing to not even mention another person as if they don't exist.

I suspect that it's just a story that got passed around and changed as it spread.
23-04-2016, 04:11 PM
(21-04-2016 07:16 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm seriously gonna go insane if I don't leave this environment. I'm tired and scared and stressed out. I'm also really vulnerable. People keep bringing up God when he has nothing to do with anything. It's really scary because he's in everyone's head and they're trying to inject him into mine. All because of a book with disputable authors written years ago rewritten, changed, and translated into many languages. I know it will end, but it's so hard. I will have a lot more peace when religion isn't shoved into every hole in body and then forced out of me. It's eating me alive

I don't have a whole lot to contribute to this thread besides empathy. I'm spending the weekend at my moms house where I was home schooled and indoctrinated without even realizing it until college. Every time I leave I forget how stressful and toxic the environment here is for the person that I've become since I left. So much passive aggressive guilt tripping, deliberate ignorance, and pressure to go back to what I used to be.
The way that I'm trying to deal with it is just continuing to educate myself about what's around me. Sure, some (a lot!) of it's bullshit. But you're able to tell the difference now. Be proud of your knowledge even if you can't express it. And if you find any techniques to help you deal, I would love to hear them. Feel free to pm me if you need to at any time
[+] 3 users Like debna27's post
23-04-2016, 04:18 PM
(22-04-2016 10:07 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  What happened to the other man?

He owed someone money and was quietly disposed of.

Shhhh, it's a secret. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
23-04-2016, 04:55 PM
(21-04-2016 07:23 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I haven't been discussing anything. People tell me. I go to a religious school so it's really difficult to get away.
Just tell them that gods and demons aren't your thing, that you are more into Harry Potter, or Star Wars or Karate, or swimming whatever it is that you are into.

I mean, if someone is into Harry Connick, I don't go on and on to them about Iron Maiden.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post