I'm I a jerk of thinking of this way.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm I a jerk of thinking of this way.
A family lost their 3 year old to cancer.

The Responses:
-3 year old Topher passed away early this morning. Pray for this family. That they would feel God's embrace and for the brother ...

- Yes, Jesus cover them with your mercy...oh Lord as they live what we all fear most. Hold them close, and give us all peace as we pray. Grace Lord for those whose lives have been touched, that we may share in the peace. Holy Spirit come.

- amen, Lord be their comfort and refuge, may they draw near into you and feel your peace, love and HOPE.

- Oh my goodness, how absolutely devestating Sad Will totally pray for God's grace and comfort during this difficult time and that God would truly shelter him in the comfort of his wings Sad I can't even imagine the pain they must be going through Sad

Really people. You are asking the same god to praise and support the family which that god took their son away. What kind of logic is that? A few weeks ago they were praying to god to heal the kid. Are they really a slave in the mind to think that way.

Kid gets cancer. God will protect the boy. All is good.
Kid dies from cancer. God and Jesus has the kid. All is good.
[Image: jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-.jpg]

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2011, 02:33 AM

RE: I'm I a jerk of thinking of this way.
No, I honestly do not find you to be a jerk for thinking that way.

I remember when my niese (Spelling?) got put into the hospital for throwing up blood, and my dear aunt said:
"Let's pray that God will ease her suffering"

I snapped at her. She is bloody 2 and a half year old, and she is throwing up blood, and she want me to pray to ease her suffering. I told her to instead of praying to someone who obviously do not give a damn, pray to the god damned doctor treating her.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't mind the "Let's think about her for a while" gesture, it just makes me mad that people would rather pray to this fantasy figure rather than hoping that the doctor can do something about it.

That's the odd thing as well.
You pray for the well being of a family member in a hospital, it breaks up into two scenario's:
S/he get's well and you thank GOD for him/her's recovery.
S/he dies, you pray to God that s/he is safe and sue the doctor for not being able to save him/her.

When is it God's fault exactly?
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2011, 03:28 AM
IMO, the most destructive thing about prayer is the person you are praying for thinking its going to help. They put faith that their god will heal them and get them through whatever tragedy they are facing. Why should you fight as hard when you have god on your side?

Let people prayer but don't teach your kids to rely on prayer when it comes to a medical situation. That is the real harm.
07-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Pretend you're high like myself. Then re-read your thread title. My head almost blew up.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
07-02-2011, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2011 05:02 AM by MasterRottweiler.)
Ohh, I dont find you to be a jerk either, I'm very sorry to hear that my friend really. I know how this kind of logic is just f*cked up, seriously.

I understand this kind of situations because my little sister was diagnosed with Lupus back in 2004, she was only 14 years old back then and she got very sick before she was diagnosed to the point that we feared about losing her, then my deeply faithful mother told me that probably that was because her god wanted her back with him, and she was "fine" knowing that her god could take care of her better than us.

I love my mother very much and I was about to slap her seriously, but I didnt do it, instead I told her; "Let me see if I get this straight, "god" borrowed her to us, then if god just want her back he can take her away from us? Just like that!? Then your god is the biggest son of a b*tch I've ever heard of....

Seriously, What in the name of Timothy F*ck is wrong with religious people? That kind of stupid logic make my blood boil.

Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
07-02-2011, 06:15 AM

While I don't think you are being a jerk thinking this way I'll add a couple minor points. The loss of a child is devastating. My wife and I lost our third child at four months old so I have perspective. My wife is not religious, don't know if she ever read the Bible, and has never really attended a church regularly. However it comforts her deeply to believe that our son is an angel, and is experiencing some kind of glorious afterlife. I don't think once a child dies that there is a ton of thought about why God made them sick, its just an overwhelming need to know that they are somewhere other than in a box under the ground! Its not logical, but for many its a way to cope.
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2011, 06:17 AM
(07-02-2011 04:57 AM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  I understand this kind of situations because my little sister was diagnosed with Lupus back in 2004, she was only 14 years old back then and she got very sick before she was diagnosed to the point that we feared about losing her, then my deeply faithful mother told me that probably that was because her god wanted her back with him, and she was "fine" knowing that her god could take care of her better than us.

Sorry to hear about your sister and hope she's ok. And, don't be so tough on mom. This sounds more like a defense mechanism then anything else. I've two sons and I cannot imagine having to go through something like this with one of my kids. How does a parent console themselves over the loss of a child? And, you want to talk about being irrational, how do you not blame yourself? Obviously we can't control biology but I can't imagine that being any comfort.

I don't think anyone is a jerk for seeing the whole "god has called them home" logic for what it is, but I'm not inclined to give grieving parents a hard time either.

Edit: What Dregs said. And Dregs - really sorry to read that.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-02-2011, 07:25 AM
i never responded in the posts in facebook. Becuase it's not my place to do so. I'm not going to be an asshole a few hours after a death of a three year old.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
07-02-2011, 08:55 AM
(07-02-2011 07:25 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  i never responded in the posts in facebook. Becuase it's not my place to do so. I'm not going to be an asshole a few hours after a death of a three year old.

That's the important thing. You're not a jerk, but had you responded to some of this you might be. Times of grief are when people cling to their superstitions the most, and any opposing opinions would have absolutely no effect except to ruin relationships. My only real problem is that many pastors seem to use this time to preach to people, thus pressing their religion at people's most vulnerable times.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
07-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Hey, Doc.

You're not a jerk in the sense that you have different beliefs than them. That's not how you'd go about it. That's totally reasonable. You are a jerk in the sense that you're... I don't want to use a hyperbolous word here, so know this is mild... denouncing their practices (I base that on the "really people" remark). That's how they deal with things in their culture and it's very important, both in terms of the culture itself being important and in terms of the impact is has on the parents. The support all comes from a place of love an it is vital to their healing process. As Sheryl Crow said, "If it makes you happy, then it can't be that ba-aa-aa-aa-aad."

But you saved yourself from any true jerkiness by not responding. That was the classy move, so you're golden.

And Dregs, big love, brother.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt