... well, not all the time.

Found this via Philhellenes.

Enjoy.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like DLJ's post
16-03-2013, 10:47 AM
RE: I'm Not A Monster
Wow I have to say this is really well made. Bravo!

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-03-2013, 11:13 AM
It is really well made. I really liked the first half or so (I'm such a fan of anything that promotes the recognition of the humanity of "the Other"), but then it went off message. It stopped being about, "Hey, man, we're just humans," which was an awesome message that they were quite effectively conveying, to being pretty backhanded.

I would have liked it a lot more if it had stayed away from backhanding Theists, because the moment it did, it lost all of the sympathy it had garnered to that point.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
16-03-2013, 12:03 PM
(16-03-2013 11:13 AM)Ghost Wrote:  It is really well made. I really liked the first half or so (I'm such a fan of anything that promotes the recognition of the humanity of "the Other"), but then it went off message. It stopped being about, "Hey, man, we're just humans," which was an awesome message that they were quite effectively conveying, to being pretty backhanded.

I would have liked it a lot more if it had stayed away from backhanding Theists, because the moment it did, it lost all of the sympathy it had garnered to that point.

Matt

Sure, there was a bit of "we are here, get used to it" in the middle but it was back to the opening message by the end.

It would, I agree, have been a nice touch to have added "like you" after e.g. "I don't preach my morals, I practice them" as it did become a little 'holier than thou' at that point.

Even still, I thought it was a fine piece of work with a strong message... directed more, I would think at the waverer than the entrenched.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-03-2013, 04:53 PM
(16-03-2013 12:03 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-03-2013 11:13 AM)Ghost Wrote:  It is really well made. I really liked the first half or so (I'm such a fan of anything that promotes the recognition of the humanity of "the Other"), but then it went off message. It stopped being about, "Hey, man, we're just humans," which was an awesome message that they were quite effectively conveying, to being pretty backhanded.

Matt

Sure, there was a bit of "we are here, get used to it" in the middle but it was back to the opening message by the end.

It would, I agree, have been a nice touch to have added "like you" after e.g. "I don't preach my morals, I practice them" as it did become a little 'holier than thou' at that point.

Even still, I thought it was a fine piece of work with a strong message... directed more, I would think at the waverer than the entrenched.
v/g.............but 'dead horse' comes up in the vid........spooky Unsure
16-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Awesome! I am a human being, being human. Perfect.
16-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Love it

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
16-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I loved it and I wouldn't change a thing about it. It is truthful, not insulting.

We have to move away from placating people's irrational people's beliefs. If you show this to a believer and he/she takes offense to the living my morals rather than preaching them, so be it. And no, we don't need a like you added, because we're not like you where morals are concerned... we don't believe homosexuality is evil and we don't believe that sex is harmful. If that bothers you, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate your positions, Mom (or dad, or whothefuckever).

Oh and, thanks for sharing!

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
16-03-2013, 10:31 PM
"I don't pray for solutions, I create them. I don't preach my morals, I practice them." Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
16-03-2013, 10:52 PM
(16-03-2013 11:13 AM)Ghost Wrote:  ...but then it went off message. It stopped being about, "Hey, man, we're just humans," which was an awesome message that they were quite effectively conveying, to being pretty backhanded.

Yeah, I agree. There was a point where the narrator spoke about not teaching fairy tales to children and explaining where atheists get their morals, and I was thinking, "so what does this have to do with being 'human' rather than 'atheist'? Isn't the fact that we're not different the theme of this video? Doesn't this run counter to the theme to point out how we differ from the religious?"

As a fan of fight club, I kinda liked the part that went "we are your teachers, your scientists, your plumbers, etc." and I like the theme. It's incredibly similar to the current Mormon campaign on YouTube along the same line of "I'm a teacher, a mother of two, a lover of surfing, and I'm a Mormon." It's an attempt to fight prejudice, and that's always a good ideal. Thanks for sharing that with us, DLJ.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.