I'm Not A Monster

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2013, 12:29 AM
RE: I'm Not A Monster
(16-03-2013 10:17 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  ...
We have to move away from placating people's irrational people's beliefs.

There are plenty of examples of that on YouTube and here and everywhere.

Most here will agree with you. Some will hold that as belief systems are culturally relative so there is no one 'team' that can claim 'truth'. Even if that is the case, there is nothing stopping either side offering up a de-placation when they feel like it.

But...
This vid's intent (at least at the outset and in summary) was aimed at placating 'people' not placating 'people's beliefs'. It was aiming at highlighting the similarities not the differences.

Girly reminded us... "I don't pray for solutions, I create them. I don't preach my morals, I practice them."
Well sure, who can't agree with that?

Truth is though, that 99% of the theists I know (mainly Mocktail Muslims © ) would also identify with that sentiment... very happily.

I know some who do the 5 x per day stuff and one christian who prays but most can't be bothered and are tradition-theists not practicing ones.

Most people's morality is not derived from their scriptures. Most have not read them.

This... "I don't wish for solutions, I create them. I don't preach my morals, I practice them." ... would apply to everyone I know... unless we are having a debate on the subject in which case I would appear, to them, to be similarly preachy.

Therefore "Like you, I don't wish for solutions, I create them. I don't preach my morals, I practice them." would have been more in keeping with the inclusive tone of the rest of the piece.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Thanks for posting this, DLJ.

The one statement in the video I have to take issue with is, "I don't have the time or the inclination to debate a belief in invisible gods or monsters." As many TTA threads attest, some atheists definitely do have the time and inclination for such debates. Wink

In somewhat the same vein, I found this pro-atheist video on YouTube which is also very well made. The title indicates it was a Superbowl commercial. Did anyone who watched the game actually see it run? (Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere else.)

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
17-03-2013, 02:44 AM
(17-03-2013 02:32 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Thanks for posting this, DLJ.

The one statement in the video I have to take issue with is, "I don't have the time or the inclination to debate a belief in invisible gods or monsters." As many TTA threads attest, some atheists definitely do have the time and inclination for such debates. Wink

In somewhat the same vein, I found this pro-atheist video on YouTube which is also very well made. The title indicates it was a Superbowl commercial. Did anyone who watched the game actually see it run? (Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere else.)

Ah yes, I spotted that a couple of days ago and was wondering whether TTA-ers simple don't watch stuff like superbowls.

The fact that it exists is an interesting commentary on the changing zeitgeist but I think the promo itself is not so realistic...

Where did they find such photogenic atheists?

We've got Buddy Christ and you're a bit of a looker yourself, Cuffsy, but the rest of us? Consider

17-03-2013, 08:52 AM
I uhh.... uhm... want.... the, uhhh.... when.... what I mean is.... uhhh... it's... uhhh... holy crap that redhead is smokin hot!

In terms of propaganda, is that add any different than, say, one for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - The Mormons II: Electric Boogaloo? I mean, when I see one of those, I pretty much roll my eyes. When I watch this one, with it's cavalcade of beautiful hipsters and ad firm focus group jargon, I roll my eyes too. Granted this one has the power of a stupid hot redhead, but... uhh.... I..... where am I?

Does Atheism really need a catch phrase?

..............whole lotta white Atheists Drinking Beverage ..................

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
17-03-2013, 09:56 AM
(17-03-2013 08:52 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I uhh.... uhm... want.... the, uhhh.... when.... what I mean is.... uhhh... it's... uhhh... holy crap that redhead is smokin hot!

In terms of propaganda, is that ad any different than, say, one for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - The Mormons II: Electric Boogaloo? I mean, when I see one of those, I pretty much roll my eyes. When I watch this one, with it's cavalcade of beautiful hipsters and ad firm focus group jargon, I roll my eyes too. Granted this one has the power of a stupid hot redhead, but... uhh.... I..... where am I?

Does Atheism really need a catch phrase?

..............whole lotta white Atheists Drinking Beverage ..................

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Hey you! Get back to your gospel singing, you theist, you!

And avert your eyes from our white women!

Angry

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post