I'm Out!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 09:25 PM
I'm Out!
This was my coming out letter to my sister who is more catholic than the pope!

I may not have been clear in my last email so let me be clear now. I am an atheist. I know of no evidence to believe in the supernatural. I believe that man created the thousands of gods of the past, and that man has created all of the thousands of gods that are currently being worshiped today(including the god of Abraham). I have struggled my entire life with faith; faith defined as belief without evidence. Although I have tried, I simply can't resolve it in my mind. I am not neurologically wired for faith. I am a skeptic and have always been a skeptic. I have searched my whole life for Truth. I care very strongly about what is true and want to know how the universe works, how simple things work, how complex things work, how we came to be. The philosophy that I studied in college provided me with reasoning skills, but did not provide me with answers. The religion that I was raised with, based on bronze age scrolls, handed down stories, dogmas, and arguments from "Authority," did not provide the needed answers to my questions. Had I been born in India, I would most likely have been raised with a different religion, different gods and different beliefs.

I believe in Science. Science is the only discipline that can show what is true. Science develops theories that are based on empirical evidence. Theories that are testable and falsifiable. Science makes predictions that are testable and falsifiable. It is subject to peer review. Often the scientist that gets the most notoriety is the scientist that disproves, modifies, or further solidifies a current theory based on new evidence. There are no absolute truths in science only degrees of certainty. The current theory that the earth orbits the sun is still a theory but we claim it as truth based on verifiable and falsifiable evidence. The same is true of the theory of descent with modification.

There are many things that we don't know, because our tools are limited. The tools of science have vastly improved an continue to improve exponentially. Every day we discover more and more about the universe, or possible multiverse? My mind is always OPEN to new beliefs based on evidence as I described above. My current beliefs can also be discarded based on new evidence. Richard Feynman summed it up neatly; “I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned."

I will not try to disabuse you of your faith because I know its importance to you. I ask you to please keep your religious views, and most especially the religious dogmas of the Catholic Church to yourself. If you have any scientific evidence you wish to discuss I am OPEN.

Love, Ted

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like Ted Tucker's post
25-08-2015, 09:36 PM
RE: I'm Out!
Well said. Welcome to TTA.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
25-08-2015, 09:36 PM
I don't know, Ted. That's pretty subtle. She may not get it.

Catholics are among the densest objects on the planet.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
25-08-2015, 09:39 PM
sounds reasonable to me.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
25-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Ok wait......so you're saying you don't believe in God? Consider

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Welcome and Congrats!
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
25-08-2015, 10:13 PM
The thought of a world in which such ideas could break relationships terrifies me.

Even my most devoutly Catholic relatives are entirely on board with the whole "science" thing. There's room for that within Catholic doctrine.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
25-08-2015, 10:49 PM
I'm tempted to go in so I can use that letter to come out again.

Nice one!

Smile

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
26-08-2015, 12:23 AM
So funny. I thought a member was leaving.

Welcome aboard Ted! Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
26-08-2015, 05:22 AM
No way Banjo you're not losing me. The real world is is much too wonderful a place to be a part of. Ain't no turning back. Thanks to all for your support and your voices of reason in the wilderness of woo woo.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like Ted Tucker's post