I'm Out!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 05:39 AM
RE: I'm Out!
(26-08-2015 05:22 AM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  No way Banjo you're not losing me. The real world is is much too wonderful a place to be a part of. Ain't no turning back. Thanks to all for your support and your voices of reason in the wilderness of woo woo.

Damned straight! We know where ya live and we'll send the boys around!

[Image: onedirection.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Great letter Ted. One of the things about science, is that there is a best truth for what you know and as you learn more or make new scientific discoveries, that truth may have to change. I think that is an uncomfortable place for some people, but some of us don't want to dig in our heels and not accept any new information.

Well, now that you have told your sister, will she out you to the rest of the family and how are they going to take it?
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
26-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Inigo
I copied the rest of my clan on this email to my sister, so I am completely out. The rest of the crew is more understanding, in fact most already had a hunch. It is my sister who I worry about most as she has OCD tendencies. Although she won't admit it she lives in fear, and now she lives with fear for me as well. I hate the effect that religious indoctrination has, especially the control by fear and reward. The Catholic Church has especially polished and perfected this art of control.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like Ted Tucker's post
26-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear the rest of your family is OK with your atheism. Sorry about your sister. Yes, I agree religious indoctrination by fear can be truly damaging to people (as a former catholic, I am familiar).
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
26-08-2015, 09:23 PM
(26-08-2015 11:46 AM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  Inigo
I copied the rest of my clan on this email to my sister, so I am completely out. The rest of the crew is more understanding, in fact most already had a hunch. It is my sister who I worry about most as she has OCD tendencies. Although she won't admit it she lives in fear, and now she lives with fear for me as well. I hate the effect that religious indoctrination has, especially the control by fear and reward. The Catholic Church has especially polished and perfected this art of control.

try sending her this:

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 6 users Like Minimalist's post
27-08-2015, 07:29 AM
(26-08-2015 11:46 AM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  Inigo
In my opinion, carbon copying the letter to your other family members was a brilliant move, bravo! Now, when your sister goes on the defensive toward you in front of others, they'll know where it's coming from.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
27-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Exactly Cosmic, that was my reasoning. I wanted them to have my words and my reasoning for why I am an Atheist, not my sisters clouded interpretations.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes Ted Tucker's post
27-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Agreed... smart move.

It is one of the biggest issues we face, in that we tend to be invisible to the average person (atheism being not really a thing that actually exists, except when someone who is SUPER-RELIGIOUS tries to impose their faith traditions and/or propaganda and/or social pressure onto us), so it allows religious leaders/devotees to smear us with false information and horrible motives, unless we make ourselves known and calmly and rationally state our case.

I have found, over the years, that except for the really brain-dead ones, most people have no problem with my atheism once they realize that the things their pastors told them about us are false, and they realize that we're not assholes (from their POV) like the "bomb-throwers" they see on TV (Carlin, Maher, Hitchens, etc).

"Gosh, he's such a nice guy/she's such a nice girl... maybe what my pastor told me about those devil-worshipping evildoers was a tad misleading."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-08-2015, 09:38 PM
I keep trying to imagine having to spend so much of my life trying to explain to people that I am an "agnostic" with regards to claims about extraterrestrial life (there being no evidence of this, as yet), but "atheist" with regards to UFO claims here on earth. At least our society has the decency to recognize those people as fringe lunatics.

When confronted by religionists who demand to know why I don't believe in "something", it is hard for me not to gasp aloud, since in any other context the claim would be seen as laughably ridiculous. It feels like I'm having to tell an eight year old that, no not only is Santa Claus not real, but I'm also pretty sure there's not "something" that really really wants me to have presents on December 25th.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
28-08-2015, 05:27 PM