I'm Sap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2015, 11:11 AM
RE: I'm Sap
(22-05-2015 07:32 AM)Sap Wrote:  Name: Sap

Current Belief System: Atheist

Former Belief System: Church of God (or as Seth so perfectly says sometimes, Gaw-yudd)... yes, the speaking in tongues and dancing in the holy spirit kind

Stats: Married, father of 3, late 30's, civil engineer and Army Reservist.

Was sort of a closeted atheist for a few years. Came out to my parents a few years ago. They keep trying to have conversations about it, but I just ignore it. I'm out, I don't believe, I love them, but that's pretty much all there is to that story. It just so happens, that as I've come to my own non-belief, I realize now that my mother's father was also an atheist. Nobody ever talked about that when I was growing up, but the things he believed and talked about, while never outright saying he didn't believe in a diety, now make so much sense to me. I wish he was still alive so that I could discuss it with him. I think he would have been happy to have an ally in the family. I wish I could have been that ally for him before he died.

Oh well, anyway, that's my intro. Not the best intro, but there it is. I look forward to getting to know you folks.

Welcome!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
23-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Welcome aboard! Big Grin

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 1 user Likes LostLegend's post
23-05-2015, 10:52 PM
I'm Sap
Wow! How did you escape that whirlpool? That variety relies a lot on feelings and experience. Do you discount all that as the power of the mind/crowd mentality as Dan Barker does? Interested in hearing more of your story.
[+] 1 user Likes bbdbbb's post
02-06-2015, 09:28 AM
You know, I think it's basically the crowd mentality... sort of a group think thing. I remember as a kid sitting there in church praying and praying for god to bless me with the gift of the holy spirit so that I could speak in tongues, but it never came. I used to think I was not good enough, like maybe I hadn't confessed a sin, maybe I didn't have enough faith, whatever. I wanted to speak in tongues, I wanted to be filled with the holy spirit, but it just never happened. I talked to my parents about it and they just told me to pray and when the time was right, I'd experience it. Eventually, I did "experience" it. I got to the point where I rationalized that I had to kind of give it a little push, like a ball at the top of a gradual slope, and that once it got that first push, the spirit would take over, so one day in church I stood up and began speaking in tongues. You know, it was basically the exact sounds I had heard others make. There wasn't. I kept doing it for a while, totally and completely cognizant of the fact that I was making the sounds, no spirit was doing it through me. It didn't seem to matter to my parents, the pastor, or the other congregants. They were elated that I had been filled with the holy spirit. GOD HAS MOVED HERE TONIGHT. That kind of bullshit. I knew it was all a fucking lie. I never did it again because I felt so foolish and dirty. I knew I had not really been filled with the holy spirit and in my mind I had committed a real sin. I was ashamed and didn't want to admit it to anybody. And I didn't admit it to anybody at that church ever, even to this day, mainly because there's no point anymore and I don't feel ashamed about it. Obviously, there is no reason to be ashamed because I didn't actually sin, I did exactly what all of the other fakers in the crowd do and never want to admit to. But I was caught up in the culture, the moment of being in church and it being the thing that is expected of congregants in that church. It was only the right thing to do at the time, even though now I realize how absurd it is. Ah well, whatever, I haven't been back to that church in well over a decade and don't miss a freaking minute of it.
02-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the forum!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
03-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Atheism isn't a "belief system" it's lack of a "belief system".
Like what not collection stamps is to hobbies. You don't say "my hobby is not collecting stamps".
04-06-2015, 01:34 PM
(03-06-2015 10:41 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Atheism isn't a "belief system" it's lack of a "belief system".
Like what not collection stamps is to hobbies. You don't say "my hobby is not collecting stamps".

My hobby is lacking a belief system...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-06-2015, 10:24 AM
(04-06-2015 01:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 10:41 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Atheism isn't a "belief system" it's lack of a "belief system".

My hobby is lacking a belief system...

My belief is that you lack a hobby. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Welcome Sap, make yourself at home.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-06-2015, 08:55 PM
(05-06-2015 10:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 01:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  My hobby is lacking a belief system...

My belief is that you lack a hobby. Dodgy

No belief to it - either you have a hobby or you don't

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman