I'm Scared...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2013, 08:41 PM
RE: I'm Scared...
(14-12-2013 08:30 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 08:24 PM)thedudette Wrote:  There's no dominant religion there?

Yes, Catholicism. We have a pope now, so people are a bit more religious than before, but religion was always taken as something private here and it's not as explosive as in the US.

I've been noticing an increase in christian weird denominations lately, specially among the more poor people. I guess we'll have a heavy religion issue some years from now, but for now it's still calm.

I guess it's the sense of comfort within the church communities.
It's a shame that there isn't a secular group close to where I live. I'm sure my parents would be cross about the idea of me going to one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Dudette - my response to you may be unpopular but as a mother myself I discourage you to do things online without your parent's consent. It's just a bad way to live. Eventually they WILL find out you visit with atheists online and it will be more upsetting. Not only because the majority of people here are atheists but because you're hiding this from them. Yes, I realize it's not something they'd probably say "yes" to....so....sneaking seems like your only option - but it's not.
You are only 15. You don't have to (1) Talk with adults online nor (2) specifically speak to atheists either. There's plenty of time when you turn legal (18 probably) to talk to whomever you wish.
For now? Sorry but I think you are too young to talk to people online minus parent consent. Doing so - or being encouraged to do so - encourages you to hide and lie.
I won't encourage you to do either of those things. Would LOVE to get to visit with you when you're older but I cannot in good conscience visit with you knowing this is something your parents wouldn't approve of.

Meanwhile - there is PLENTY I assure you to keep you busy on your atheism - study science, math and all non-religious subjects. Study history...... read read then read some more. You should be reading and studying at 15 anyway.

People like us will still be around when you're older.

I don't want you scared or bullied nor your parents worried.
sorry....... but no.

Will watch for you to come hunt us all down in a couple of years - ok? Till then I wish you well and although I might not agree with your parents choice to be religious and they'd not like atheist's support - I AM glad you have parents who love you and care about you. Remember they likely try their very best to do right by you.

cheers

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
14-12-2013, 09:31 PM
(14-12-2013 09:20 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Dudette - my response to you may be unpopular but as a mother myself I discourage you to do things online without your parent's consent. It's just a bad way to live. Eventually they WILL find out you visit with atheists online and it will be more upsetting. Not only because the majority of people here are atheists but because you're hiding this from them. Yes, I realize it's not something they'd probably say "yes" to....so....sneaking seems like your only option - but it's not.
You are only 15. You don't have to (1) Talk with adults online nor (2) specifically speak to atheists either. There's plenty of time when you turn legal (18 probably) to talk to whomever you wish.
For now? Sorry but I think you are too young to talk to people online minus parent consent. Doing so - or being encouraged to do so - encourages you to hide and lie.
I won't encourage you to do either of those things. Would LOVE to get to visit with you when you're older but I cannot in good conscience visit with you knowing this is something your parents wouldn't approve of.

Meanwhile - there is PLENTY I assure you to keep you busy on your atheism - study science, math and all non-religious subjects. Study history...... read read then read some more. You should be reading and studying at 15 anyway.

sorry....... but no.

Will watch for you to come hunt us all down in a couple of years - ok? Till then I wish you well and although I might not agree with your parents choice to be religious and they'd not like atheist's support - I AM glad you have parents who love you and care about you. Remember they likely try their very best to do right by you.

cheers

I understand.
My parent's know that I do talk to adults on other forums (art related) I know this is different as this is a matter of faith and not avocation, but I'd love to talk to people to bounce ideas off of yanno?
I've met a great majority of friends on sites like this (not religious but still "strangers.") As of my schooling this is close to my only option for socializing.

I am actually reading Dawkin's books and am watching debates Smile
And I've been doing this for 2 years now. I just thought it would be nice to be in some community that will understand where I'm coming from.
14-12-2013, 09:38 PM
(14-12-2013 08:36 PM)thedudette Wrote:  Thank you!
Any recommendations for animes? Big Grin
It totally depends on what genre you like. A great series is Rurouni Kenshin. I think that show can capture many people's hearts. But what genre interests you in media? Action? Adventure? Mystery? Sports? Drama? Super girly stuff? Super boyish stuff? I can recommend a show to you if you give me a genre Smile.

Btw anime doesn't pluralize with an "s". "Anime" is both singular and plural Smile.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
14-12-2013, 09:39 PM
(14-12-2013 09:31 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 09:20 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Dudette - my response to you may be unpopular but as a mother myself I discourage you to do things online without your parent's consent. It's just a bad way to live. Eventually they WILL find out you visit with atheists online and it will be more upsetting. Not only because the majority of people here are atheists but because you're hiding this from them. Yes, I realize it's not something they'd probably say "yes" to....so....sneaking seems like your only option - but it's not.

sorry....... but no.

cheers

I understand.
My parent's know that I do talk to adults on other forums (art related) I know this is different as this is a matter of faith and not avocation, but I'd love to talk to people to bounce ideas off of yanno?
I've met a great majority of friends on sites like this (not religious but still "strangers.") As of my schooling this is close to my only option for socializing.

And I've been doing this for 2 years now. I just thought it would be nice to be in some community that will understand where I'm coming from.

Well that sounds a little better - if they know you visit with adults online. But if they ask you should tell them the truth. Maybe phrase it that you have questions and you found an intelligent group to visit with. Just don't hide it from them. That's the part I'm worried about. I raised three daughters and while I always appreciated them having minds of their own - I NEVER liked lying.
Yes.......all kids lie at some point.......about something or other. But your family is your family and they probably love you a great deal. Trust is precious.
Like any parent - I just want you safe. Making good choices keeps you safe. Safe in a LOT of ways........like keeping the trust of your parents.

Forgive me...... its the mom in me that causes me to speak to you this way. I mean all from the heart and I do mean well. Not trying to sound bossy or cross. Just talking like a mama......... k?
Heart

PS There ARE very good people here.

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
14-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Sabrina, I understand your point, and I think if she is in a happy household it is a good idea to share these activities with the parents. (In the future as a parent, I will make sure to know what my kids are up to online). In my case, I wasn't in a happy household, and the internet was my escape. I'm not saying that is the case for her, but I'm just saying there could be good reasons that she isn't telling her parents (if she isn't).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
14-12-2013, 09:42 PM
(14-12-2013 09:38 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 08:36 PM)thedudette Wrote:  Thank you!
Any recommendations for animes? Big Grin
It totally depends on what genre you like. A great series is Rurouni Kenshin. I think that show can capture many people's hearts. But what genre interests you in media? Action? Adventure? Mystery? Sports? Drama? Super girly stuff? Super boyish stuff? I can recommend a show to you if you give me a genre Smile.

Btw anime doesn't pluralize with an "s". "Anime" is both singular and plural Smile.

Horror/ Action/ Suspense
14-12-2013, 09:48 PM
(14-12-2013 09:40 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Sabrina, I understand your point, and I think if she is in a happy household it is a good idea to share these activities with the parents. (In the future as a parent, I will make sure to know what my kids are up to online). In my case, I wasn't in a happy household, and the internet was my escape. I'm not saying that is the case for her, but I'm just saying there could be good reasons that she isn't telling her parents (if she isn't).

Understood. 100% I can just never encourage kids to do things behind their parents' backs. Just can't do it. The price for that kind of thing can get pretty high.
Who was that kid a couple weeks back who's mom signed on and screamed up one side and down the other? I worry about things like that.

just being a mama......... and I *could* be entirely wrong. I realize that. Y'all have to forgive me for just speaking my heart here. I worry bout kids and the internet.
I should probably catch up with the times and realize that kids are FAR more savvy these days and 15 is a lot older than when I was 15 or even my own kids. LOL

14-12-2013, 09:48 PM
(14-12-2013 09:39 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 09:31 PM)thedudette Wrote:  I understand.

Well that sounds a little better - if they know you visit with adults online. But if they ask you should tell them the truth. Maybe phrase it that you have questions and you found an intelligent group to visit with. Just don't hide it from them. That's the part I'm worried about. I raised three daughters and while I always appreciated them having minds of their own - I NEVER liked lying.
Yes.......all kids lie at some point.......about something or other. But your family is your family and they probably love you a great deal. Trust is precious.
Like any parent - I just want you safe. Making good choices keeps you safe. Safe in a LOT of ways........like keeping the trust of your parents.

Forgive me...... its the mom in me that causes me to speak to you this way. I mean all from the heart and I do mean well. Not trying to sound bossy or cross. Just talking like a mama......... k?
Heart

You don't sound bossy I get it Smile
I've had bad experiences with chat sites before so I get why this is being brought up.
I think my parent's trust me enough not to make stupid choices on these things as I've told them before when someone says not so nice things to me on forums.
So I'm only half sneaking to be honest XD
14-12-2013, 09:50 PM
(14-12-2013 09:48 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 09:39 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Well that sounds a little better - if they know you visit with adults online. But if they ask you should tell them the truth. Maybe phrase it that you have questions and you found an intelligent group to visit with. Just don't hide it from them. That's the part I'm worried about. I raised three daughters and while I always appreciated them having minds of their own - I NEVER liked lying.

Heart

You don't sound bossy I get it Smile
I've had bad experiences with chat sites before so I get why this is being brought up.
I think my parent's trust me enough not to make stupid choices on these things as I've told them before when someone says not so nice things to me on forums.
So I'm only half sneaking to be honest XD

Thanks for letting me be honest. Hope you like it here. There are GREAT people here.