I'm Starting to Lose Faith In our Species

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm Starting to Lose Faith In our Species
I'm not sure if the Mainstream News and my Facebook feed are toying with me or if widespread malaise has just become the new normal. I seems like every time I get on the internet about gargantuan national debt, crony lobbyism, corporate tax evasion, environmental decline, historic incarceration rates, the welfare state, the coming police state, dragnet surveillance, indefinite detention, burgeoning religious extremism, a nuclear Iran, biological warfare, hyperinflation, unemployment, mental illness, drug addiction, decline of the family, and ethical decay of the people who wield the most influence control over public life.

I appreciate that so many of my friends are keeping themselves aware and voicing their discontent so vociferously and consistently, but after years of malignant lying and stealing wrought by our federal and state governments I don't think any amount of pandering and populist rhetoric from our elected officials really means anything anymore. I mean what mechanism do ordinary people have to bring about meaningful changes to our way of life, when our news outlets and policymakers are only accountable to opportunists, corporate thugs and psychopathic white collar criminals who are miring future generations in debt, bleeding hard working people dry, and keeping the poor and the destitute in a cycle of detention and state dependency?

It's clear nobody wants to sit and watch this country we love decay into some third-world dystopian hellscape in our lifetime, but so far I just haven't seen anything turning in the right direction. If someone could throw me a bone here, what if anything of value has been done to mobilize change for the public good?

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post
30-04-2015, 05:40 PM
RE: I'm Starting to Lose Faith In our Species
Quote:It's clear nobody wants to sit and watch this country we love decay into some third-world dystopian hellscape in our lifetime

Really? There's a whole political party dedicated to exactly that.

Look what they did today.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/04/house-re...-spending/

Quote:House Republicans pass budget plan cutting social services while ramping up military spending

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 8 users Like Minimalist's post
30-04-2015, 06:04 PM
(30-04-2015 05:40 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:It's clear nobody wants to sit and watch this country we love decay into some third-world dystopian hellscape in our lifetime

Really? There's a whole political party dedicated to exactly that.

I was talking more along the lines of ordinary people. Last week the house passed a bill allowing for tax exemptions in federal campaign funding...

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/ho...17067.html

...putting a bit more of the tax burden on everyone else. I don't think even the Tea Party is too happy about this.

30-04-2015, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2015 06:34 PM by Kaneda.)
I used to be more optimistic about the way we were going but I'm seeing more and more transparently sinister shit like this every day. I feel as though we're going the way of Mexico, where our elected officials are abandoning even the pretense of caring for the majority of their adherents, biding their time and hoarding the gains for themselves until there's nothing left. Despite all the derision on my newsfeed, I have yet to see anyone actually mobilizing in the effort to mitigate this epidemic that is systematically destroying us.

[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
30-04-2015, 06:46 PM
(30-04-2015 06:06 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  I used to be more optimistic about the way we were going but I'm seeing more and more transparently sinister shit like this every day. I feel as though we're going the way of Mexico, where our elected officials are abandoning even the pretense of caring for the majority of their adherents, biding their time and hoarding the gains for themselves until there's nothing left. Despite all the derision on my newsfeed, I have yet to see anyone actually mobilizing in the effort to mitigate this epidemic that is systematically destroying us.

The French addressed this same problem, or one very much like it, in the decade 1789 - 1799. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post
30-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Quote: I don't think even the Tea Party is too happy about this.

If it passed the sleazebags can't be too unhappy with it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
30-04-2015, 08:54 PM
We lose one and get one.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

30-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Starting?
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
01-05-2015, 12:27 AM
(30-04-2015 08:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We lose one and get one.

You talking about the species? I could go for getting a new species here

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
01-05-2015, 05:01 AM
(30-04-2015 06:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  ...

The French addressed this same problem, or one very much like it, in the decade 1789 - 1799. Drinking Beverage

Are you hinting that you have a plan?

What's the trigger word for the call to action?

Thumbsup