I'm Starting to Lose Faith In our Species

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2017, 11:07 AM
RE: I'm Starting to Lose Faith In our Species
It's more than ironic that even though our tools for communication and organizing have gotten so much better in 20 years, democratic accountability has gotten worse.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post
16-01-2017, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2017 07:04 PM by Kaneda.)
RE: I'm Starting to Lose Faith In our Species
(15-01-2017 09:55 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Volunteer for your local government. Citizen committee memberships are pretty common in local governance, and most of the time all you have to do is contact your mayor's office to look into available opportunities. There is so much more than federal or even state level politics where you can become involved and make a difference.

So far I've been involved with the Rotary club and the Chamber of Commerce in my town. There's a lot of opportunities where I live to help people on a personal level and there's definitely room to step up my game. Lately though, I feel compelled to take up voter awareness as a cause. As in, looking into the backgrounds of at candidates and issues before primaries start, crunching and disseminating that information locally to voting blocs (mostly young voters) so that we can have more conversations about issues using facts and rely less on heuristics and social pressures to make decisions.

It's a tall order I know, but I've got a fire under me right now.

EDIT: Not trying to fly in the face of what I was saying earlier; it would be kind of reassuring to know I could work toward creating a more informed citizenry in my corner of the world. Those things add up.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post