I'm Thinking of leaving

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm Thinking of leaving
I have been thinking of leaving this site. I feel so inept when discussing any issue on here. I just don't have the proper education to keep up with most of you. All I have is my gut feeling and my age to go by. I do read allot and try to learn from different areas. I also read the posts and threads and I must admit some go right over my head. I was looking into going back to school after 35 years. I don't know if I could handle it. I wasted all of my High school years on drugs. I was stoned from the time I walked in the doors to the time I went to sleep at night. I did graduate! How I will never know. I did ok too with never taking 1 book home or doing 1 homework assignment. I graduated in the middle of my class. We had 765 kids in my class. It was a big school. My spelling has always gave me trouble. In fact English class was my most hated class. I did great in science and math. It came to me very easy. The rules made sense to me and English didn't with words that sound different than they are spelled, or you will have the same sounding word spelled many different ways. I never did get that right even to this day. You may see that in my posts. I feel really stupid at times. I can break down a motor and put it back together no problem. I can run a mixing board with 60 channels no trouble. I even have done some studio work with recording. I guess we all have our things. So if you don't see me on here for awhile I have decided it was best that I was just inadequate to keep up with the best of you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2012, 01:26 PM
RE: I'm Thinking of leaving
Go back to school if you want, there's nothing to lose by doing hat except some cash.
Leave the forum if you like too! Not sure why you actually want to but hey it's ok. If you want to come back or even end up stayin we're still here for you!

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2012, 01:32 PM
(08-02-2012 01:16 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  I have been thinking of leaving this site. I feel so inept when discussing any issue on here. I just don't have the proper education to keep up with most of you. All I have is my gut feeling and my age to go by. I do read allot and try to learn from different areas. I also read the posts and threads and I must admit some go right over my head. I was looking into going back to school after 35 years. I don't know if I could handle it. I wasted all of my High school years on drugs. I was stoned from the time I walked in the doors to the time I went to sleep at night. I did graduate! How I will never know. I did ok too with never taking 1 book home or doing 1 homework assignment. I graduated in the middle of my class. We had 765 kids in my class. It was a big school. My spelling has always gave me trouble. In fact English class was my most hated class. I did great in science and math. It came to me very easy. The rules made sense to me and English didn't with words that sound different than they are spelled, or you will have the same sounding word spelled many different ways. I never did get that right even to this day. You may see that in my posts. I feel really stupid at times. I can break down a motor and put it back together no problem. I can run a mixing board with 60 channels no trouble. I even have done some studio work with recording. I guess we all have our things. So if you don't see me on here for awhile I have decided it was best that I was just inadequate to keep up with the best of you.

I'd urge you to stay. People on this site often give references to what they read, or the source of some facts.
By your story, you are under-educated. There is no shame in that. In fact, it takes courage to admit it and do something about it. This site will help you if you let it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey, don't feel bad about lack of secondary education. I finished high school myself and have had limited college experience. I've taken a couple of college English classes and a few various other classes, but that's about it. I feel inadequate myself frequently on this site. But I look at it as a challenge- to learn and improve myself. I think you should do the same, if you want that challenge in your life.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses in areas. You're good with mechanics and electronics- most especially sound setup. I'm terrible at both- I can't even change my own oil in my car, which is pathetic. I couldn't even change a headlight a few months ago without my brother-in-law's help. Talk about feeling inept, I feel like a caveman when I approach the car with a wrench. I may as well be using a hammer instead for all I know what to do.

And honestly, I think you communicate clearly. You spell quite well- not sure if you use a spell checker, but I have to myself. The Firefox built-in spell checker is a necessity for me. I frequently look up the definitions of words to confirm I am using it in the correct context and applying the correct meaning. And I still get it wrong sometimes. We've all seen some terrible posters here and elsewhere on the internet, and you're not one of them.

So I'd say that if you are finding any value to the site, stick around and keep challenging yourself- but the last thing you should feel is inept. You can communicate clearly, and I have rarely, if ever, seen a grammar nazi pounce here. So I think you have nothing to worry about, regardless of a few misspelled words here and there, of which we're all guilty. But if you think you're just not getting anything from the site and if you feel you have nothing to offer then why bother? But I think you have something to offer and you're a worthwhile member.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
08-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Don't leave.

You're selling yourself short. Being around more learned people actually improves what you know. You're not obligated to understand everything that is posted here.

If you just throw your hands up and leave, you're doing yourself a disservice. Running from difficulties doesn't improve your current status; it only hinders it.

It's like working out. If you don't increase the weight and the reps, you'll never get stronger.

I know you probably don't think much of the Bible, but I believe this verse is relevant:

Proverbs 27:17
17 Iron sharpens iron,
So one man sharpens another.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
08-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Education can be over-rated. Yes, I have 1.9 masters. One is in Divinity and has no use for me in getting hired.
The other is in Psychology, but I say .9 because I never finished the thesis at the end of all my course work. (Long, sad story).

My point being, education can lead to a dead end when put in the wrong hands, so don't let that force you to leave.

I never really get why people announce they're leaving, etc. If you don't like the site, don't come back. If you want to take a break, take a break. We won't charge you dues if you take a vacation from the site. Otherwise, just jump in and see it as a place to learn.

And if you find posts going over your head...anything by HoC is going to make you feel that way. Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
08-02-2012, 01:46 PM
As a foreigner I know a bit about not understanding fully the finer things and nuances of what people write, especially on forums like these. I wish neither of us would ever feel stupid because of that. We know other things in depth. I know that just because signing in to this site you have stated that you are willing to think for yourself. That to me, is more worth than I can explain in this language! If you leave, know that the spots where your thoughts were supposed to be are left empty. That space may seemed filled by other peoples thoughts, but your thoughts may always bring another dimention to a conversation.

Anyway. I wish that you will be happy wherever you go.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
[+] 5 users Like Cubic Bubbles's post
08-02-2012, 01:55 PM
The continual challenge to understand, is the thing that will make you understand.
It's just like a sport... for instance, if you play tennis and you keep playing people who suck, you'll just be a sucky tennis player. But, if you keep playing people who are better than you, you'll eventually get better and better.
The best way to hone your skills at anything is to immerse yourself in things beyond your current ability. That's how you learn.

You can drop away if you want; no big deal. But just hanging around, reading, and maybe contributing here and there, will also probably help you improve whatever you feel you need to work on intellectually.

Do your thing, man. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
If you want to leave or take a break, do that, it's ok.

But have in mind, you don't have to be a genius or the best educated person.
I know that feeling from myself and I am often enough too lazy to follow a whole discussion sometimes.

Just have in mind that everyone here has a different backround. Some have studied theology at a university so of course they will write different about things, some have studied psychology and they have a different view on the same topic, then comes the person that never studied but just read a good book and has another opinion, and in no time that topic looks like there are only professionals talking. But they are not.
Example number 2: I always hang out in a chatroom where I have my friends (we stay in touch that way) but most of them are programmers and when they start talking about that stuff I feel totally stupid though I do have some know how in that field. But when I start talking about my profession I could teach others.... Get the point?

So if you only want to leave for the fact that you think you have a lesser education, don't Smile Don't feel bad for that, if you can't keep up with a topic, stop reading it or look some things up. I spend a lot of time googling stuff or asking my hun (who studied theology) about things that I read here, because most are talking christian and I have no clue about christianity. Wink

Anyway, whatever you decide, it's fine.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Thank you for the words of encouragement and I really do feel like I am uneducated. I will stick around as long as no one thinks I am to stupid. I do try to engage on a topic but I do get lost. I feel like check then mate all the time!! Oh well I guess that is the only way I will learn. And PLEASE I don't want to offend anyone personally. No one has done that but one time to me. You will have that I am sure. I blew it off and didn't get all bent out of shape. It wasn't the first time I was told to F off. Life is way to short to worry about morons. When the only answer is F U or F**K Off you don't have a leg to stand on. That is the weakest argument you can make. I thought my vocabulary was really bad but I will try to keep up with you. Please be Patient with me. I tend to drift off topic too.
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post