I'm Tired of Pretending

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2013, 09:55 AM
RE: I'm Tired of Pretending
(19-08-2013 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-08-2013 09:27 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  We'll pick on the Brits instead!

Afterall I from the proper England...New EnglandDrinking Beverage

Which is short-hand for New, Improved England! Now packed with more awesome!
Better beaches!
Better food!
Better bathrooms!
Better dentistry!
Better roads!

Whateva.
But the part about the best beaches is crap.

(said the CA boy).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2013, 10:01 AM
(19-08-2013 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-08-2013 09:27 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  We'll pick on the Brits instead!

Afterall I from the proper England...New EnglandDrinking Beverage

Which is short-hand for New, Improved England! Now packed with more awesome!
Better beaches!
Better food!
Better bathrooms!
Better dentistry!
Better roads!

Don't be confusing England with Britain now...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2013, 10:22 AM
(19-08-2013 10:01 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(19-08-2013 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  Which is short-hand for New, Improved England! Now packed with more awesome!
Better beaches!
Better food!
Better bathrooms!
Better dentistry!
Better roads!

Don't be confusing England with Britain now...

There is a difference? Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
19-08-2013, 10:26 AM
(19-08-2013 09:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-08-2013 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  Which is short-hand for New, Improved England! Now packed with more awesome!
Better beaches!
Better food!
Better bathrooms!
Better dentistry!
Better roads!

Whateva.
But the part about the best beaches is crap.

(said the CA boy).

Hey, no one invited you to the pissing contest, BeachyBall. Angry

And I didn't say 'best', just better than the rocky things over there.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-08-2013, 10:28 AM
(19-08-2013 10:22 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(19-08-2013 10:01 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Don't be confusing England with Britain now...

ParanoidSam,
You hold him. I'll kick him.

and btw... New, New England = Singapore.

Also, I think we have gone a bit off track considering what forum we are in.

Sorry, mods.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-08-2013, 10:30 AM
(18-08-2013 10:27 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  So even though I'm new to this forum, I love it. It's a place where I can be me without fear of judgment. No one in real life knows the real me. It's more than just my lack of religion. It's my political beliefs and even my opinions on drinking, sex, kissing, homo- and bisexuality and other things Christianity frowns upon. My friends unknowingly bash my opinions on certain things, and I hate it. I guess it sounds like I shouldn't be friends with them, but I love them to death even if they have different opinions than me. My only complaint about them is their close-mindedness, but even that is worth putting up with because I love them so much.

Since joining this forum a few days ago, I've wanted so badly to finally tell my family and friends about the real me. I almost told my sister I'm an atheist tonight. I only have my senior year of high school left, and I keep telling myself I can make it until I move out, but I don't know anymore. I hate not being able to be myself. I know though that if I tell my family and friends about my atheism, my mom's side of the family will see me as a disappointment. An embarrassment. My mom will probably withhold financial support to college unless I agree to go to a Christian or very religious college. My friends will probably abandon me or try to convert me. Even if they don't abandon me, things will be incredibly awkward with them. I don't know what to do. I need so very badly to tell someone, but I don't want to if it will make my life a living hell. How can I cope with this? What can I do? Should I just wait the year out?

First off sorry to have derailed your thread attacking the Brits Smile

As the other have stated you need to look at (and seem to be doing so) the big picture. Everyone has to decide when the right time is. That usually isn't when someone else is in control of major factors in your life. Waiting seems to be the best option for you right now.

Use us to vent and as support. If you go to a scholl that isn't religious you should run into many like minded people.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
19-08-2013, 10:31 AM
(19-08-2013 10:22 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(19-08-2013 10:01 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Don't be confusing England with Britain now...

Yes.

[Image: zj0axbs.jpg]

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
19-08-2013, 10:37 AM
(19-08-2013 09:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ... You could "bide your time", (as hard as that would be), and in a year or two, tell your mom that
the best place for your major is (for example) at Georgia Tech, or somewhere big, like that. Make it sound like a necessary career move tactic.
The atmosphere at the larger places like that would be more liberal.

So much this.

If you're going to university, then which one to go to ought to be entirely your decision (pending acceptance Tongue ). If someone else makes it for you you'll hate it.

I think Bucky's on to how to wrangle it. You need to sell the degree from a larger, more 'mainstream' (ie, connected to reality) school. Sell that shit hard. Unique programs, better recognition, whatever will work.

... this is my signature!
19-08-2013, 11:02 AM
(18-08-2013 10:27 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  So even though I'm new to this forum, I love it. It's a place where I can be me without fear of judgment. No one in real life knows the real me. It's more than just my lack of religion. It's my political beliefs and even my opinions on drinking, sex, kissing, homo- and bisexuality and other things Christianity frowns upon. My friends unknowingly bash my opinions on certain things, and I hate it. I guess it sounds like I shouldn't be friends with them, but I love them to death even if they have different opinions than me. My only complaint about them is their close-mindedness, but even that is worth putting up with because I love them so much.

Since joining this forum a few days ago, I've wanted so badly to finally tell my family and friends about the real me. I almost told my sister I'm an atheist tonight. I only have my senior year of high school left, and I keep telling myself I can make it until I move out, but I don't know anymore. I hate not being able to be myself. I know though that if I tell my family and friends about my atheism, my mom's side of the family will see me as a disappointment. An embarrassment. My mom will probably withhold financial support to college unless I agree to go to a Christian or very religious college. My friends will probably abandon me or try to convert me. Even if they don't abandon me, things will be incredibly awkward with them. I don't know what to do. I need so very badly to tell someone, but I don't want to if it will make my life a living hell. How can I cope with this? What can I do? Should I just wait the year out?

make some new friends that agree with your new views. Ditch the old ones if they won't accept what YOU want for YOUR LIFE. again YOUR LIFE.
19-08-2013, 08:59 PM
That's what I figured, and I understand that it is the best option for me in the long run. I just hate how I have to live in a place where I can't be myself. I've also recently become more open about my open-mindedness about certain subjects (though when I was still exploring religion, I made the mistake of saying I didn't think the Bible was 100% true and that I didn't believe in hell. I guess people respect me for being open-minded, just not that open-minded). There's one guy though that I'm pretty close with and while I don't know for sure his religious beliefs (he once insinuated he was agnostic or atheist), even if he's Christian, Muslim, Budhist, whatever I figure he'd be okay with it and because of that I think I might tell him. And I guess that's all I really want. My friends and family to look at me when and tell me that my lack of religious beliefs don't matter.

(19-08-2013 09:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BTW, where are you going to school ? In the South ? You could "bide your time", (as hard as that would be), and in a year or two, tell your mom that
the best place for your major is (for example) at Georgia Tech, or somewhere big, like that. Make it sound like a necessary career move tactic.
The atmosphere at the larger places like that would be more liberal.
(My two best friends go there), and they don't go around broadcasting it, but there are TONS of nonbelievers in their classes.

Georgia Tech is actually one of my choices. I'm planning on staying probably in the South but I want to go to college somewhere that's open-minded and near or in a city. Right now my top choice is Rice. Some of my friends have been trying to get me to go to various state schools (all are too religious) and even a few Christian colleges (if I have trouble being atheist now, just imagine how much I'd have at a Christian college). I usually have to come up with some flimsy excuse for why I don't want to go there like. I know I'm not going anywhere that has a very religious student body unless I absolutely have to. I just can't wait to get out. The only bad part will be coming home from being open about who I am and then having to go back into that shell.

(18-08-2013 10:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  We promise not to tease you about your accent
Hey now. I don't have THAT bad of an accent. The part of Mississippi I live in is actually known for not sounding very country. Some people have even told me I sound like a northerner. I only sound Southern on certain words and when I say y'all so swerve. (Oh my goodness did I actually just say that?)
[+] 1 user Likes southernbelle's post