I'm Too Hostile to Believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2014, 08:52 PM
RE: I'm Too Hostile to Believers
(22-06-2014 08:11 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Blah blah blah...We don't come here for confrontation. We come here for discussion... blahLah blah blah...

Oh, fucking WAH. We don't come here to get trolled by asshole theists either. Play your little "Ima ignore U so there" game, I don't give a shit.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2014, 10:08 PM
(22-06-2014 08:52 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 08:11 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Blah blah blah...We don't come here for confrontation. We come here for discussion... blahLah blah blah...

Oh, fucking WAH. We don't come here to get trolled by asshole theists either. Play your little "Ima ignore U so there" game, I don't give a shit.

Glad you understand, Taq.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
22-06-2014, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2014 01:51 AM by DLJ.)
(22-06-2014 10:43 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 08:14 AM)kim Wrote:  ... I have to wonder how to respond to a person who makes provocative, possibly offensive, and/or emotionally charged statements about another person while criticizing or judging that person for not believing as they do …

You may have the answer to your own question by whether you take such posts seriously - and when the pattern of such posting is persistent, whether you take the poster seriously. No response is called for; in fact, response most of the time only adds gasoline to the fire. I have to say I'm amazed that, given the obviously high level of intellect manifest in this forum, so many apparently don't recognize the buckets of sand they think they're throwing are buckets of powder.

Or maybe they do and just like the fireworks. OK. Except that what could have been a more interesting engagement of mind is reduced to empty spectacle seen a million times before. That's disappointing. Funny, but disappointing.

I completely agree.

I've only recently become a Mod so I've had a bit of 'soul-searching' to do.
I didn't find one.

In pre-mod-mode, I was continually and privately eye-rolling at the flame-fanning and often thought to myself, "why don't they just ignore him/her?".

I realised soon after joining here that there are some (HoC for example) who enjoyed the celestial spectacle ... evidenced by the bitching if a Mod tried to step in and end it.

New atheists, I realised, need target practice. More seasoned protagonists sometimes just like a chew-toy.

Culturally their are two main, often conflicting, principles at play here:
1. Community
2. Free Speech

With regards to Community, there are two sometimes conflicting opinions ... inclusive or exclusive.

I'm a big proponent of free speech as the top priority. Perhaps, on a forum it should be called 'free text'.
It's not just about the right to write but also, and more importantly, I think, the right to read (and ignore, rebut, argue etc.)

The official line (Seth's decree) however, is that this place (TTA forum) was and is intended to be an inclusive community (as priority) as part of the wider ThinkingAtheist Community.

A culture can be defined as the combination of individual behaviours; individual behaviours are influenced by a combination of individual ethics and organisational ethics.

So, (sorry for the long-winded response, I realise that I'm having a cathartic moment) now as a moderator (a low-life form of forum Management), my decision is to be a representative of the organisational ethics (inclusive community). This means that I feel duty-bound to point out that some individual behaviours are not representative.

To remain true to my own principles I need to do this in a way that maintains the right to free-text as much as possible. This means that hostility, for me, has a place here as long as it does not become the social norm.

As you say, it's often (off the record) funny and (on the record Smile ) disappointing.

Lucky I never had a soul to lose, right?

Wink

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
23-06-2014, 07:52 AM
(22-06-2014 11:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Blah blah blah...I'm a big proponent of free speech as the top priority... blah blah blah...

Then quit your fucking whining.

23-06-2014, 08:46 AM
(23-06-2014 07:52 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 11:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Blah blah blah...I'm a big proponent of free speech as the top priority... blah blah blah...

One might make a similar request of you.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-06-2014, 10:43 AM
(22-06-2014 11:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... I'm a big proponent of free speech as the top priority. Perhaps, on a forum it should be called 'free text'.

There's a crucial point being missed in the "free speech" argument: abusive posts stifle it. If saying something out loud on a forum is responded to by vicious attack, who the hell needs that? The free exchange of ideas is stomped dead, and with it any genuine "freedom of speech".

I have never understood why some people feel it necessary to attack an idea, or worse, a person, with pointless vitriol. The vitriol corrodes the attacker, not what's being attacked, as if a vandal with spray paint empties the can in his own face. As I said earlier, it's funny to watch, but watching reruns of the Three Stooges gets quickly tedious.

Most of don't have a burning desire to be insulted. Just because the insults impugn the insulter more than their target doesn't make the flakes of overspray easy to brush off. The sheer fact that someone felt we needed to be insulted is discomfiting. Why risk discomfiture?

So called "free" speech in a forum has a price, a steep price, if abuse is too free.

We wind up with a forum populated by a few tough ducks, and fewer new voices, and a lot fewer fresh ideas.
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
23-06-2014, 10:48 AM
(23-06-2014 07:52 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  

And after pages of side-stepping by attacks on people who should be your friends here, we STILL haven't heard your opinion regarding the original post - which I believe is what kim was asking you.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
23-06-2014, 11:23 PM
(23-06-2014 08:46 AM)kim Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 07:52 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Then quit your fucking whining.

One might make a similar request of you.

You have a strange idea of what whining is.

23-06-2014, 11:25 PM
(23-06-2014 10:43 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 11:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... I'm a big proponent of free speech as the top priority. Perhaps, on a forum it should be called 'free text'.

There's a crucial point being missed in the "free speech" argument: abusive posts stifle it. If saying something out loud on a forum is responded to by vicious attack, who the hell needs that? The free exchange of ideas is stomped dead, and with it any genuine "freedom of speech".

I have never understood why some people feel it necessary to attack an idea, or worse, a person, with pointless vitriol.

You seem to hold a strange sort of opinion that all vitriol is pointless.

Rolleyes

23-06-2014, 11:43 PM
(23-06-2014 10:48 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 07:52 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Then quit your fucking whining.

And after pages of side-stepping by attacks on people who should be your friends here,

Yes, I *did* see a shit-ton of side-stepping and back-stabbing here from people (D&C, Kim, etc) that any atheist might have reasonably expected to be on their side.

Quote:we STILL haven't heard your opinion regarding the original post - which I believe is what kim was asking you.

That's RIGHT -- I pointed out that kim's "question" was vague as fuck and likely a sorry-ass passive aggressive attempt at a swipe, and Kim has yet to clarify. No clarification, no answer. Don't be a fucking pussy. Get it, asshole?