I'm a Belly Dancing bigot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2015, 12:45 PM
So I was invited to a belly dancing event at a restaurant last night and because I knew a couple girls who were going to perform I went. I love almost any kind of dancing, from hip-hop to street dancing and of course my first love, ballet. But I hate belly dancing. I simply can't get past the culture it comes from and the way women are treated. I actually have a visceral reaction to the costumes, the music and even the food.

I also hate that men and women aren't allowed to dance together in this culture. That just sucks. Don't care for the orthodox Jewish sects that don't allow this either. It's fucking stupid.

Anyway, I realize how much I dislike the Middle Eastern culture whenever I see belly dancing. I know guys like it because they get to see women in skimpy costumes but I just hate it. If I'm going to watch women gyrate I'd much rather watch Hula dancing.

Hula dancing.....yes.

Belly dancing.....no.

So there.Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2015, 12:58 PM
RE: I'm a Belly Dancing bigot
(16-05-2015 12:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I was invited to a belly dancing event at a restaurant last night and because I knew a couple girls who were going to perform I went. I love almost any kind of dancing, from hip-hop to street dancing and of course my first love, ballet. But I hate belly dancing. I simply can't get past the culture it comes from and the way women are treated. I actually have a visceral reaction to the costumes, the music and even the food.

I also hate that men and women aren't allowed to dance together in this culture. That just sucks. Don't care for the orthodox Jewish sects that don't allow this either. It's fucking stupid.

Anyway, I realize how much I dislike the Middle Eastern culture whenever I see belly dancing. I know guys like it because they get to see women in skimpy costumes but I just hate it. If I'm going to watch women gyrate I'd much rather watch Hula dancing.

Hula dancing.....yes.

Belly dancing.....no.

So there.Dodgy

I like the food...and some restaurants also add a belly dancer as entertainment. In that context, it doesn't really bother me--because I just look at is as entertainment. But I hear what you are saying, from a cultural perspective, it could be looked on as demeaning.
16-05-2015, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2015 01:03 PM by kim.)
Interesting. I like the dance... belly dancing included.

Belly dance is often misunderstood both historically and socially. Many don't know that this is a dance created by women to celebrate what men are not. Much of the dance is done among women ... no dicks allowed. Wink

A dancer dances ... because the dancer loves the dance. The belly dance can be a celebration of being female and an expression of the self. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-05-2015, 01:07 PM
We have a belly dancing group here. When I expressed my non-interest in it (just not into it) and the irony that the woman who started it complains about skimpy clothes yet tells many to wear tiny outfits, I was called racist and sexist. Apparently I hate her culture, too.

So yeah... Can't have an opinion these days.
16-05-2015, 01:19 PM
On my phone so if this link isn't working... YouTube 'Margaret Chow belly dancing' and check out a 6 minute vid.

https://youtu.be/Rm-LHWjijaI

Shuhaila is a dance instructor.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-05-2015, 01:25 PM
I used to have a friend who belly danced, and one day she took me to watch her group. I loved it, the women really enjoyed themselves, it made the music fun, and the women were all shapes and sizes and each one looked great when dancing that way. There was a lot of individualistic expression there, no two danced exactly alike, each had their own style.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-05-2015, 01:36 PM
(16-05-2015 12:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 12:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I was invited to a belly dancing event at a restaurant last night and because I knew a couple girls who were going to perform I went. I love almost any kind of dancing, from hip-hop to street dancing and of course my first love, ballet. But I hate belly dancing. I simply can't get past the culture it comes from and the way women are treated. I actually have a visceral reaction to the costumes, the music and even the food.

Hula dancing.....yes.

Belly dancing.....no.

So there.Dodgy

I like the food...and some restaurants also add a belly dancer as entertainment. In that context, it doesn't really bother me--because I just look at is as entertainment. But I hear what you are saying, from a cultural perspective, it could be looked on as demeaning.

Yep, I like the food. No, really. I just go to those places for the food. I never really even noticed the half-naked writhing beauties. I am always too distracted by that yummy food.
Popcorn Kiss

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
16-05-2015, 03:03 PM

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-05-2015, 03:05 PM
not clicking on it...not clicking on it... not clicking on it......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-05-2015, 03:06 PM
(16-05-2015 03:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

U r twisted lol but in a good way! Thumbsup