I'm a Christian.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 01:50 PM
RE: I'm a Christian.
(09-10-2017 01:46 PM)Eagle Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 01:40 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Start a thread in the atheism&theism section to discuss; the introductions section is not the place to get into it. Many will be happy to explain why we disagree with those claims.
Thank you unfogged. I wonder if yourself, or @jennybee would suggest the correct subforum that I would post it in?

I think (I think I think haha) I would like to read why there are those who disagree with such claims.

See post #26 and click on the blue Religion word, it’ll take you there.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2017, 01:55 PM
(09-10-2017 01:49 PM)Eagle Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 01:47 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Howdy!

Many of us were christians at some point.

There are a number of regular posters who are theists/believers, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

The name of the site is taken from The Thinking Atheist Podcast by Seth Andrews. That said, Seth does not participate in the forums and there is not a great deal of overlap between the show and the forums.

So what do we talk about? There are threads on politics, current events, movies, literature, theology, atheism, weather, guns, gun control, music, support, etc.

Atheists are not "opposed to god". Atheism is defined as lacking a belief in god. If you do not believe in god, you are an atheist. Atheism addresses nothing beyond that. There is no "atheism", no dogma or organized beliefs.

Welcome aboard.
Thank you. My own experience is that people who are atheists are against that which God stands for, but of course, there's always reasonable people who are exceptions to such observations.

I am the opposite of many here. I used to be an atheist and became born again.

.... Which is exactly why you should stick to the threads that are not religious in nature. -Just until you get to know the people here. That's my friendly advice.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
09-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Hi, how's it going?

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
09-10-2017, 02:11 PM
THREAD SPLIT

Eagle, if you wish to discuss your beliefs go to the split thread titled I’m a Christian, not here.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
09-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Welcome aboard.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
09-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Hmm. I'll move this over, since the thread split while I was posting.

Thumbsup

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
09-10-2017, 02:19 PM
(09-10-2017 02:16 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 01:56 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Yes jennybee you're right! A dove represents the Holy Spirit.

Ahh, the holy spirit. Not in the oldest copies of the gospels.

(09-10-2017 01:56 PM)Eagle Wrote:  An Eagle represents a Christian, for a few reasons.

Multiple governments and organizations, from the USA to Imperial Rome to Nazi Germany have used eagles.

(09-10-2017 01:56 PM)Eagle Wrote:  One of them is that, if an Eagle is flying and for instance, whilst carrying their young, and another bird tries to attack them, as the Eagle cannot defend itself whilst carrying their young, an eagle flies directly to the sun.

No they don't carry their young.

Citation 1
Quote:How do young eagles learn to fly? Is it true eagles carry their young to help them learn to fly?
No. An adult eagle can lift only about 1/3 of its weight. By the time a juvenile is ready to fly, it weighs as much as an adult.

(09-10-2017 01:56 PM)Eagle Wrote:  An eagle has two sets of eyes, and uses their second set to be able to fly towards the light. The bird in pursuit, has to leave, because the bird in pursuit is blinded by the sun.

That's a nictating membrane. Dogs and cats and other animals have them. It protects the eyes.

Citation 2

(09-10-2017 01:56 PM)Eagle Wrote:  That is, a Christian goes towards the light (Jesus) and the darkness flees, as it cannot handle the light.

The Delaware, the Aztecs, the Iroquois, the Cheyenne, the Romans, and the Zulu all have eagles in their mythologies.

Citation 3

Why are their mythologies false and why is your mythology true?
Hi fatbaldhobbit, I would discuss this with you, but I think it has to be made in another forum.

I don't mind telling you about my beliefs, or about the Bible, on here, as it's my introductory thread, but to get into a debate with me about it here, I don't think it fits policy. So.. so that we may both enjoy our time here sanction free, I suggest we could discuss your ideas (or questions?) elsewhere!

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Eagle's post
09-10-2017, 02:20 PM
(09-10-2017 02:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  THREAD SPLIT

Eagle, if you wish to discuss your beliefs go to the split thread titled I’m a Christian, not here.
OK.

Apologies, I posted a reply then seen your post here. Apologies for having to move the thread about.
09-10-2017, 02:32 PM
(09-10-2017 01:04 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Hi, I'm a Christian.

I stumbled across this site by chance, through a link to a study someone posted.

I thought I would join.

Welcome!

I'm curious what link you found. Anyway, hopefully you find what you're looking for, here.

Edit: I'm moving the last half to the split thread.
09-10-2017, 02:43 PM
I am always a bit puzzled as to why Christians choose to join this forum. Some seem to come here just to try to "save" us, convert us, or generally proselytize in some way. Personally I would never join a "Christian" forum to try to de-convert or sway the beliefs of anyone. Or join for any other reason, a forum where I already know the general population disagrees with my fundamental beliefs. Seems like just joining for the sake of a place to be argumentative and/or disagreeable and/or offensive.

That being said, people of all beliefs are welcome on this forum. And as long as you are not here for the sake of being an ass in any of the above mentioned ways, I welcome you, fully and completely. And hope you enjoy this forum family as much as I do.

By the way, on Wednesdays we wear pink. Otherwise, you can't sit with us.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams