I'm a Closeted Atheist and...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm a Closeted Atheist and...
I'm a closeted atheist and I need advice. I'm a aide in a public school and I try to step carefully when it comes to religion, however, this week I stumbled upon something that really bothered me. One of the teacher posted on a Thanksgiving bulletin board "Thank God for everything you have". Because I am sure I'm the only Atheist in my district and because I don't want to make a big deal of this I have been ignoring it.

So my question is, any advice? Has anyone had similar experiences?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2010, 09:06 PM
RE: I'm a Closeted Atheist and...
An anonymous letter to the school board, explaining that you feel this is inappropriate, and also explaining why you feel it nescessary to remain anonymouscould possibly serve two purposes. First, it would address the innapropriateness of the bulletin board note, and second, it may shed a little light on how oppressive theists can be.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
03-11-2010, 10:07 PM

I would agree to the letter, if they will make certain changes for Hindus, and other foreign religions then someone who choose to have his own belief should be just as protected. Good luck!
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2010, 10:11 PM
The teacher who did it knows it is inappropriate and knows why. They (meaning Christians) love to play the victim card when their assholishness (copyright 2010) is pointed out. Personally, I'd just wait til nobody was looking and I'd tear that piece of shit down.
03-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Put a poster up beside it when nobody is looking that says "Thank nature, the farmer,
the business man, the laborer, your family, and your friends for all that you have".

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
03-11-2010, 10:39 PM

Only bad thing i can say about going about it with any acts of malice would be it gives them another chance to play the victim card. One knows after tearing it down would bring up "CHRISTIANS UNDER ATTACK AGAIN!" I would still recommend try to appeal to the logic of hey if you want to make certain alterations for other religions you can not pick and choose, you have to be fair and equal to ALL walks of life.

(03-11-2010 10:11 PM)gamutman Wrote:  The teacher who did it knows it is inappropriate and knows why. They (meaning Christians) love to play the victim card when their assholishness (copyright 2010) is pointed out. Personally, I'd just wait til nobody was looking and I'd tear that piece of shit down.
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2010, 11:42 PM
I say ignore it. Is it really so bad that the teacher put this up on the bulletin board? I think "Thank God for everything you have" is just a suggestion, not an order.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
04-11-2010, 01:21 AM
I would say it depends on the nature of the bulletin. If it was a personal online bulletin, then I would say ignore it. However, if this is a public one posted around the school, you should say something. I think doing this anonymously would be best. Explain how the separation of church and state protects EVERYONE'S rights. And how there is no evidence for this said figure "god," and should not be posted in the school.

Seems like an asshole move [ again, do this anonymously ], but I think everyone benefits from a religion free environment.

At least that's what I would do. Big Grin Be cautious though, this is your job!
04-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Make up a little sticker that turns it into
"Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for everything you have"
04-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Be careful that people have lost jobs or been kicked out by landlords for being atheists.(also if gay). People might react violently and you may find yourself at the center of a which-hunt.

Protest this but do it discreetly.As someone suggested point out that it isn't fair for all religions or use a Multiculturalism Wildcard.I know it's being unfair , but sometimes you need to fight religion with religion.Otherwise , openly admitting atheism may achieve nothing and your good intent and civic sense would be wasted on ignorance and just get used as ammo by the Christian propaganda machine.