Hindu
Buddhist
Evangelical Protestant
Mormon
Scientologist
Spiritualist
Cultist (Please name cult in comments)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
I'm a former _______.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-08-2017, 10:31 AM
RE: I'm a former _______.
Southern Baptist, like everyone else in Alabama.

Very active as a youth and young adult. Went to Vacation Bible School each summer, youth camp, choir, etc.

Then...I discovered this phenomenon known as Google.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes aloneinalabama's post
08-08-2017, 10:35 AM
I checked the "christian" box but I readily concede to not being one in any meaningful way. I was just born to a methodist father and a mother who didn't obsess about religion. Stopped going to church before I started school because my dad was in the navy and my mother wouldn't take on bringing seven children to church without my father's involvement.

So I grew up thinking about god, Jesus, heaven and so forth completely on my own building on whatever stray bits got lodged in my brain from those early childhood church experiences. Stopped believing at all by 10 or 11 but before that I remember thinking poorly of my mother's brother who was an atheist because that just seemed like such an affront. Such ingratitude.

Then as a young adult I got interested in Joseph Campbell's very Jungian take on mythology and went on to read pretty much everything by James Hillman. So in my early twenties I started seeing Christian belief in archetypal ways and viewing the usual literal interpretations as mistaken and crude. I enjoy talking with religious people who are thoughtful about what they believe rather than doctrinal.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
08-08-2017, 01:47 PM
(08-08-2017 10:35 AM)whateverist Wrote:  I checked the "christian" box but I readily concede to not being one in any meaningful way. I was just born to a methodist father and a mother who didn't obsess about religion. Stopped going to church before I started school because my dad was in the navy and my mother wouldn't take on bringing seven children to church without my father's involvement.

So I grew up thinking about god, Jesus, heaven and so forth completely on my own building on whatever stray bits got lodged in my brain from those early childhood church experiences. Stopped believing at all by 10 or 11 but before that I remember thinking poorly of my mother's brother who was an atheist because that just seemed like such an affront. Such ingratitude.

Then as a young adult I got interested in Joseph Campbell's very Jungian take on mythology and went on to read pretty much everything by James Hillman. So in my early twenties I started seeing Christian belief in archetypal ways and viewing the usual literal interpretations as mistaken and crude. I enjoy talking with religious people who are thoughtful about what they believe rather than doctrinal.

Hey Whateverist - do you own Australian Shepherds? I have an Aussiedoodle. He's two years old, and been an amazing dog. As you know, very smart and lots of energy!