Hindu
Buddhist
Evangelical Protestant
Mormon
Scientologist
Spiritualist
Cultist (Please name cult in comments)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
I'm a former _______.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-04-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: I'm a former _______.
(19-04-2016 02:30 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Yes and No. Catholics have a lot of practices that Christians don't.

So do Orthodox Christians. Or Pentecostals. Or, well, most denominations not that common in the US.

(19-04-2016 02:30 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I was told most Christians don't look favorable on Catholics ether.

Christians of any denomination don't look favorable on any other denomination. Do you know what "orthodoxy" means? "Correct belief" Tongue

(19-04-2016 02:42 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Here are some of the Catholic Practices that you may not have done.

Eating dry waxy crackers, and red wine that are imbued by the holy spirit turning them into the Flesh and Blood of Jesus.

Bread dipped in wine here.

(19-04-2016 02:42 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Rosary Beads depending on your sin you had to say a number of prayers with this.

More like a bracelet thingy here.

(19-04-2016 02:42 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The Pope is the Voice of God.

Saints are as good as Jesus.

(19-04-2016 02:42 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Fasting (Unless you forget)

For 40 days before Easter.

(19-04-2016 02:42 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Putting ashes of dry palm leaves on your forehead.

Wat.

(19-04-2016 02:42 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Confessions for every bad thought or action you did.

Had to confess my "sins" when I was 12.

(19-04-2016 02:42 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  2 hour sermons that would involve kneeling, sitting and standing at random intervals.

No kneeling, but definitely lots of standing.

(19-04-2016 02:42 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  A full blown corpse cut out of Jesus hanging from the crucifix.

Nah, but we have all those creepy wall paintings.

What I'm trying to say is, there is no "plain" Christian who doesn't belong to a denomination. Catholicism is a denomination, not a religion.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
19-04-2016, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2016 03:20 PM by DerFish.)
(19-04-2016 01:41 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(19-04-2016 01:38 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Me Too. I am also on a board called the seventh day atheists. Not much happens there, so I spend more time here, but I grew up with Egg White etc...

Cool. Another former Adventist. I say Egg white too sometimes. I'm glad we're free from that stuff. >.<

My brother sent me a bunch of shit not too long ago showing me where Egg White predicted the shaking out of the chaff (chaff being me) just before the end times, or as part of the end times or something. I didn't read it. But the most amazing is that he said it was something NEW! Just discovered among her writings? Don't know!
19-04-2016, 03:19 PM
(19-04-2016 02:38 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  It's interesting how people argue about who's a real Christian. Have they not read Matthew 7:5?

In so many ways the Seventh Day Adventists are closer to Catholics than to anyone else. Only Adventists and Catholics have you standing and kneeling and sitting an average of 12 changes per church service. I didn't, of course' know that while being a member, but later having married a couple of different Catholic women I found that out. After leaving the SDA's I had visited a dozen different protestant churches looking for the right one.
19-04-2016, 03:20 PM
(19-04-2016 02:26 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Wouldn't Catholic and Protestant both count as Christian ?
Also, where would Seventh-day Adventism go?

Catholic and Protestant are indeed both Christian, but here in Ireland "we" spent many decades killing each other.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
19-04-2016, 03:21 PM
(19-04-2016 03:12 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(19-04-2016 01:41 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Cool. Another former Adventist. I say Egg white too sometimes. I'm glad we're free from that stuff. >.<

My brother sent me a bunch of shit not too ling ago showing me where Egg White predicted the shaking out of the chaff (chaff being me) just before the end times, or as part of the end times or something. I didn't read it. But the most amazing is that he said it was something NEW! Just discovered among her writings? Don't know!

The end times stuff always scared me as a kid. Why did he say it was just discovered? Adventists have been teaching that for a while now.
We're you ever taught about the national Sunday law?
19-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Closest thing I can think of is "spiritualist". I wasn't deep into woo, but I was into some woo. Wasn't religious.

19-04-2016, 03:24 PM
(19-04-2016 03:19 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(19-04-2016 02:38 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  It's interesting how people argue about who's a real Christian. Have they not read Matthew 7:5?

In so many ways the Seventh Day Adventists are closer to Catholics than to anyone else. Only Adventists and Catholics have you standing and kneeling and sitting an average of 12 changes per church service. I didn't, of course' know that while being a member, but later having married a couple of different Catholic women I found that out. After leaving the SDA's I had visited a dozen different protestant churches looking for the right one.

Also, SDA's have vespers, which is another thing Catholics do. It's really funny because Adventists tend to be super anti-Catholic.
19-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Nominated by parents as a Methodist, but threw off the blindfold around 13 years old.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
19-04-2016, 03:37 PM
(19-04-2016 03:11 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Saints are as good as Jesus.

Shit I forgot about the saints. We even had a saint for lost keys. (Saint Anthony) I think we had more saints then the Romans had gods.

The truth of the matter is even by national polls Catholics and Christian are seen as separate ententes. I would have put every demographic of religion on the board but I only had 11 spots. I sure we could both agree that what

My wife (A christian) doesn't see Catholics as Christian, or even Mormons as Christain for that matter. I'm not sure where the line would be drawn when talking about bad ideas.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
19-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Heavens Gate cultist.
I wanted the house, so I stayed behind when the spaceship went off the to comet.
Yes
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news...rys-worst/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post