I'm a gamer so fuck off!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 08:53 AM
RE: I'm a gamer so fuck off!
(28-04-2014 08:36 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I actually find that gaming is becoming a more "legitimate" form of entertainment these days.

The budgets are getting bigger, More is coming out.

Its one of the more rapidly growing employment areas.

They are expensive, but still more bang for your buck than a movie.

But I hear you. As a 31 year old gamer I do get tired of hearing that its a "kids" hobby" even though the average age of a gamer is is literally my age.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/

Give it time. It will get better. (as long as the government doesnt ban them stop school shootings and suicide)

Yeah, it has gotten a lot better since the 90s. Back then, if I even said the word Nintendo or Playstation, derisive comments would immediately start flowing along with comparisons to Steve Urkel... Dodgy

The stereotype persists, though. Many of the older generations still can't seem to process that it's not just hyperactive, geeky children that play video games. I think this also has a lot to do with all the outrage that we see regarding violent games or games that have adult content in them. People who are ignorant of the world of gaming have this preconceived notion that all games are designed for children. No, games like GTA are most certainly not designed for younger audiences. That's why we have a rating system.

When I worked in a local video game store, we would constantly get parents buying games like that for their 12 year old and then come back demanding a refund because their was adult content in it. No shit, dumbass. I warned you when you bought the thing that it was not intended for children and that the entire game was adult themed. Parent's that came in ranting about "hookers in a kid's toy" were given a blank stare and then had their intelligence insulted.

I had one lady bring back a game 4 months after she had bought it for her prepubescent son, and only after she had seen some scare story on the local news about the game that was "all about beating up hookers". I looked at her and said, "yeah, I told you not to buy that game for your young kid. I specifically told you that there was extremely graphic violence and sexuality in the game, you ignored me and told me that little johnny was mature enough to handle some silly little toy... So, don't get all offended at me because you're a shitty parent and didn't listen." She tried to get me fired by calling the owner of the store. His response was something along the lines of "You bought that game for your child? Would you let your child watch a movie that was literally nothing but murder and sex? No? Then why the fuck did you buy them a game about that?"

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2014, 08:57 AM
(28-04-2014 08:53 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 08:36 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I actually find that gaming is becoming a more "legitimate" form of entertainment these days.

The budgets are getting bigger, More is coming out.

Its one of the more rapidly growing employment areas.

They are expensive, but still more bang for your buck than a movie.

But I hear you. As a 31 year old gamer I do get tired of hearing that its a "kids" hobby" even though the average age of a gamer is is literally my age.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/

Give it time. It will get better. (as long as the government doesnt ban them stop school shootings and suicide)

Yeah, it has gotten a lot better since the 90s. Back then, if I even said the word Nintendo or Playstation, derisive comments would immediately start flowing along with comparisons to Steve Urkel... Dodgy

The stereotype persists, though. Many of the older generations still can't seem to process that it's not just hyperactive, geeky children that play video games. I think this also has a lot to do with all the outrage that we see regarding violent games or games that have adult content in them. People who are ignorant of the world of gaming have this preconceived notion that all games are designed for children. No, games like GTA are most certainly not designed for younger audiences. That's why we have a rating system.

When I worked in a local video game store, we would constantly get parents buying games like that for their 12 year old and then come back demanding a refund because their was adult content in it. No shit, dumbass. I warned you when you bought the thing that it was not intended for children and that the entire game was adult themed. Parent's that came in ranting about "hookers in a kid's toy" were given a blank stare and then had their intelligence insulted.

I had one lady bring back a game 4 months after she had bought it for her prepubescent son, and only after she had seen some scare story on the local news about the game that was "all about beating up hookers". I looked at her and said, "yeah, I told you not to buy that game for your young kid. I specifically told you that there was extremely graphic violence and sexuality in the game, you ignored me and told me that little johnny was mature enough to handle some silly little toy... So, don't get all offended at me because you're a shitty parent and didn't listen." She tried to get me fired by calling the owner of the store. His response was something along the lines of "You bought that game for your child? Would you let your child watch a movie that was literally nothing but murder and sex? No? Then why the fuck did you buy them a game about that?"

I guess I never had to deal with this kinds of judgments from my family. (My mum is 55 years old and games hard)

Remember when Rock and Roll wasnt music? Everything takes time to transition. It's too bad parents don't take 5 seconds to educate themselves on something their children enjoy (and I dont care if that kid is 5,12, or 28) so they can be informed and make decisions based on knowledge rather than just assuming they are kids stories.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
28-04-2014, 08:58 AM
(28-04-2014 08:52 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 08:48 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Well. All forms of entertainment have to deal with those problems. Part of the fun is finding the gold.

Hell yah Witcher 3! I was under the impression there was talk of a release date on that? Like AROUND MY BIRTHDAY NEXT YEAR?! *cough* Excuse me.

I think its been pushed back.

It was slated for release this Autumn, but I think has been changed to next Spring.

At least they care about their products.

Yes. I'd much rather they push back a product and I wait longer, then have them release a pile of poo.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
28-04-2014, 09:05 AM
(28-04-2014 08:57 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 08:53 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Yeah, it has gotten a lot better since the 90s. Back then, if I even said the word Nintendo or Playstation, derisive comments would immediately start flowing along with comparisons to Steve Urkel... Dodgy

I guess I never had to deal with this kinds of judgments from my family. (My mum is 55 years old and games hard)

Remember when Rock and Roll wasnt music? Everything takes time to transition. It's too bad parents don't take 5 seconds to educate themselves on something their children enjoy (and I dont care if that kid is 5,12, or 28) so they can be informed and make decisions based on knowledge rather than just assuming they are kids stories.

I envy you, to this day much of my family thinks gaming is for little kids. It's especially annoying because the same people who still believe in fairy tales and have an invisible friend try to tell me "once you grow up, you'll stop liking silly children's things". Dodgy

Yeah, because I'd rather utilize an interactive medium where I control the story instead of staring blankly at a screen for hours on end being spoon fed a story, I'M the immature one... right.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
28-04-2014, 09:10 AM
(28-04-2014 09:05 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 08:57 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I guess I never had to deal with this kinds of judgments from my family. (My mum is 55 years old and games hard)

I envy you, to this day much of my family thinks gaming is for little kids. It's especially annoying because the same people who still believe in fairy tales and have an invisible friend try to tell me "once you grow up, you'll stop liking silly children's things". Dodgy

Yeah, because I'd rather utilize an interactive medium where I control the story instead of staring blankly at a screen for hours on end being spoon fed a story, I'M the immature one... right.

Trust me. Its not all roses. You start to question your "gameliness" when your mom has more gaming consoles than you do. Tongue (the bloody woman has a ps3, xbox 360, wii, some form of atari, etc...)
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
28-04-2014, 09:13 AM
(28-04-2014 09:10 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 09:05 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I envy you, to this day much of my family thinks gaming is for little kids. It's especially annoying because the same people who still believe in fairy tales and have an invisible friend try to tell me "once you grow up, you'll stop liking silly children's things". Dodgy

Trust me. Its not all roses. You start to question your "gameliness" when your mom has more gaming consoles than you do. Tongue (the bloody woman has a ps3, xbox 360, wii, some form of atari, etc...)

Yeah, but what's her gamerscore?

28-04-2014, 09:18 AM
(28-04-2014 09:05 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 08:57 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I guess I never had to deal with this kinds of judgments from my family. (My mum is 55 years old and games hard)

My mother still treats video games like some medicinal- mind numbing drug for me. (Not that she regulates them for me, she's just very reluctant.)
I don't think she understands that education and fun are now a gray area, unlike here black and white days of discerning.
(I play many educational, critical thinking, and fun games, like KSP, or Space engineers, and many design/survival games.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
28-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Contrary to what a lot of people think, games can be a great source of moral education.

In recent years some games developers have produced very mature content.

Red Dead Redemption had such a mature story, and showed how malleable morality is, depending on the context. The protagonist finds himself straddling the line between good and evil...

I thought Dishonored tackled the issue or morality very well too... I liked the supernatural elements, with the Outsider and everything.

I keep meaning to get Metro Last Light... Apparently that's an excellent exploration of human behavior.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2014, 03:57 PM
(28-04-2014 01:41 PM)Sam Wrote:  Contrary to what a lot of people think, games can be a great source of moral education.

In recent years some games developers have produced very mature content.

Red Dead Redemption had such a mature story, and showed how malleable morality is, depending on the context. The protagonist finds himself straddling the line between good and evil...

I thought Dishonored tackled the issue or morality very well too... I liked the supernatural elements, with the Outsider and everything.

I keep meaning to get Metro Last Light... Apparently that's an excellent exploration of human behavior.

Heavy Rain comes to mind. Very dark with many struggles between difficult choices and a story very much intended for adults. Playing through it, you know you're playing it more for the story of the game than the glory of the quick timed events.

I think as time goes by, we're seeing more and more video games being used to drive a story rather than being souly for the gameplay. Unfortunately, I don't think that much of society is catching onto that. It seems to be that a lot of games are seen for children or for adults that are childish (or for adults to fulfil their inner child, however you wanna say that). I hope we'll get more positive light shined on our incredible games as the years roll along.

You do make me feel fortunate though that I've gotten support for my gaming from my parents despite being a girl. Hell, in general, I've gotten it easy being a girl gamer. I wear my gaming shirts wherever I go and hardly hear any negative feedback. Might get a stare or two but no one seems to care or if they care it's only enough to tell me that my shirt is cool. Then again I guess being a lady that plays games is rare enough to be attractive or something...? I don't know. All I know is there's other ladies gaming out there that get picked on pretty bad just because they're not a man playing a game which I think is incredibly stupid (and I probably would if I actually remembered to use my mic). Much like how I think it's stupid for race or age to factor in whether or not you should like to play games. People need to chill out and do what makes them happy. What makes me happy is chilling out with something that emerises me in story and/or action so I loves games. I don't care what other people think because that's my life and they aren't going to change me if I can damn well help it.

But yeah, I hope that as gaming keeps evolving more people will see how broad the audience for it really is and help to eliminate negative views on people that play games that aren't 12 year old white boys.

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
29-04-2014, 01:59 PM
I get the OP, I get allot of flack for being a gamer from the older people in the family. I still play NWN online, mostly because where else can I explore the gothic horror genre as an interactive medium?

I play games to live out those fantasies I can't in real life. I will never be the big muscular dude wielding a blade, I will never be the dashing sorcerer or cunning rogue that I can be in games.

I for one am glad for the gaming industry moving towards more mature story lines, they also let us explore parts of ourselves safely we otherwise keep locked up tight.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post