I'm a new athiest? Help me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2012, 06:26 PM
RE: I'm a new athiest? Help me?
Hi Jixr, welcome!

I'm still fairly new here (be not deceived by my join date) and still learning too. I hope I can help out too, but I think Logisch's answer looks fairly thorough.

As to your first question, I like to think of Dumbo and Timothy (have you seen Dumbo?). I think of the moment Timothy had to reveal to Dumbo that he didn't actually need the magic feather to fly. It took Dumbo a brief moment to come to terms with this new information. It didn't process at first. Perhaps this comes close to an analogy of what you're going through right now (minus the whole falling to your death if you don't process the new information in time....thingy)? I'm sure you'll come to terms with it eventually. These things take time.

As to coming out as an atheist, I still haven't to most of my family. Not sure it will ever be necessary. The relationships I have with family are far more important to me than any disputes over religion. I feel safer avoiding the subject altogether and it has so far served me well.

I've never had a tattoo. My personality isn't prone to focusing all of its attention on any single thing long enough for me to wish it emblazoned on my flesh. I prefer T-shirts. They disintegrate at just the right pace to match my interests (most of the time).

I hope you find a way to get through this. I hope I can help in some way. By joining this forum you've taken a great first step. The people here are great and I continue to learn a lot from them every day.

Here's to your new perspective, may it flourish!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
I'd have to see a photo of the tattoo; but if it's like I think it is (bottom of the cross starting at the wrist, then the cross itself extending up the arm?), just get a big red circle with a line through it.
[Image: 220px-Crossbuster_symbol.svg.png]
Maybe.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
09-11-2012, 06:58 PM
(09-11-2012 06:57 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'd have to see a photo of the tattoo; but if it's like I think it is (bottom of the cross starting at the wrist, then the cross itself extending up the arm?), just get a big red circle with a line through it.
[Image: 220px-Crossbuster_symbol.svg.png]
Maybe.
With the elegant benefit of solving problems described in both #2 and #3 in one cheap solution! Brilliant!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
09-11-2012, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 07:06 PM by Misanthropik.)
That'd take a lot of red, though - going across that solid black. Maybe put some sort of meaningful text along the center red line to draw attention away from the possible shading it might cause.

If you choose this course of action, that is. Smile Personally, though, (and this is just me) I'd save up the money to get it slowly removed to the point that you can cover it with some sort of full-sleeve. But then, I'm already working toward sleeves anyway, so that's what I myself would do. You should maybe talk to a tattoo artist and get their advice on the whole thing. They encounter these sorts of things all the time.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Keep the tattoo. Seriously.

It is a part of you, and a part of who you were. All the things from your past are what make you who you are today. Let the tattoo be a reminder of who you once were, and how that made you who you are now.

But what the fuck do I know?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
10-11-2012, 06:20 AM
(10-11-2012 01:21 PM)Free Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 08:14 PM)Jixr Wrote:  Hello everyone So this is my first time really talking with any ( some what like minded ) people on this subject.
( new member, first post )

I'm Jixr, a 22 year old guy living in Austin Tx

So to make a long ( as i'm sure all ours are ) story short, I was basically --> <-- this close to going in to seminary school and after a long drawn out
process I've found that I no longer hold to the beliefs of Christianity, and after about 2 years of religious studies, self reflection and basically came to the conclusion
that all of the worlds major religions that i've studies are far too complex, confusing, mythical, ancient, conflicting, etc for me to take hold of. I ended up wanting with all of my desire to not be a christian, jew, muslim, methodist, catholic, agnostic, or an athiest, I don't want a label, I just want to be a person.

I do suppose i'm an atheist by definition. And I have a few questions for some people who may can help me out, and i'll just list them all out.

1. I'm glad i'm free of the religion I was so deep into, but now that i'm out, I feel a bit scared/ancious that I basically threw off everything I was raised in. Is this a normal feeling after people relalise that organized religion is a sham? I used to be happy in my very protected and sheilded bubble, but now that its popped, i'm not sure if i'm quite happy knowing how the world really works.

2. I don't really want to "come out" to my family, as they are all highly religious, and i'm sure they would out me quite a bit ( I was miss communicated from my family shortly after I moved away from home because ( through a bad prank from an ex gf ) they thought that I was gay. ( Home town is a 3,000 pop farm town, with 2 churches, you go to one or the other, prayer before football games, very highly christian centered school, etc ) So my parents are not very open to ideas, and I have a preacher uncle and a by the book devoutely religious aunt in the family. But I do want them to know I don't want to follow the religious views they follow. ) Any ideas on how to slowly ease into the family that I'm ( what i prefer to being called an athiest ) non-religious. ( my parents equate athiest with devil worshipers ) My girlfriend is a desit, and we have been together for a while, but both of our past are so broken and the wounds are still healing, that we don't often talk about deep subjects like religion, our own political views, etc. We both like our 'easyness' of eachother, and I don't feel like we are in a position to bring out a painful subject just yet. ( she is a desit though )

3. When I was 18, I had the bright Idea to get a solid black cross tattoo on my wrist ( during the peak of my christianity-hood ), and now I absolutely hate the tattoo ( the design, not tattoos in general ) and I'm not sure what to do, its rather large, and can't be covered with a watch or wristband, but often get labled as a "good little christain boy" when people see it ( its seriously the only reason why I got my job where I work, as i'm the youngest person there by 15 years, and my boss is a highly religious person ) I was thinking of a cover up, as tattoo removal ( which i've looked into ) cost $2000 and would take over 2 years to fully remove ( or lighten to the point for an easy cover up job ) So my question is how do former belivers deal with tattoos, religious sentimental items, etc now that they are no longer religious?

4. I don't have anyone that I know who is an atheist, and I have tons on my mind and basically have been in a 2 year struggle over all this, and have really been thinking of creating a blog over all the stories I have ( several good ones involving me nearly dying, adults beating up kids at church camp, being apart of a cult-like homeschool family, etc) but I don't know if It would be a good idea to do so. Part of my struggle is I have no one to talk to, and all this is constantly spinning in my head, and would like to set something up where people are free to comment on my stores, share what they know, etc. Anyone know of a good blog host site that could fill my need? the few friends I have are all highly religious and the one I've tried to talk to basically shut me down without trying to understand my reasoning. I don't care to be an athiest converter or whatever, I just want to live without the ball and chain of christianity locked around myself.

Thanks for reading all these, I have a very heavy heart over all this, and am just looking for a direction and someone to talk to. The only person who I confide everything in was my old pastor, and even outside the church, he is still one of the smartest men I've ever known, but unfortunately, I don't see how he could help me out with this. My previous views of athiest were god hating devil worshipers ( who i was sure were 'evil' people ) and I hope there are some of you who can help me out.

The truth is, you are not a "new atheist."

You see, you were born with no beliefs. That is your default position in life. Later, you were taught to believe in such things as what religion teaches. No, you are not a "new atheist" at all.

You are simply an old atheist returning to the realm of reason.

Welcome home.
What a great 100th post!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-11-2012, 01:21 PM
(08-11-2012 08:14 PM)Jixr Wrote:  Hello everyone So this is my first time really talking with any ( some what like minded ) people on this subject.
( new member, first post )

I'm Jixr, a 22 year old guy living in Austin Tx

So to make a long ( as i'm sure all ours are ) story short, I was basically --> <-- this close to going in to seminary school and after a long drawn out
process I've found that I no longer hold to the beliefs of Christianity, and after about 2 years of religious studies, self reflection and basically came to the conclusion
that all of the worlds major religions that i've studies are far too complex, confusing, mythical, ancient, conflicting, etc for me to take hold of. I ended up wanting with all of my desire to not be a christian, jew, muslim, methodist, catholic, agnostic, or an athiest, I don't want a label, I just want to be a person.

I do suppose i'm an atheist by definition. And I have a few questions for some people who may can help me out, and i'll just list them all out.

1. I'm glad i'm free of the religion I was so deep into, but now that i'm out, I feel a bit scared/ancious that I basically threw off everything I was raised in. Is this a normal feeling after people relalise that organized religion is a sham? I used to be happy in my very protected and sheilded bubble, but now that its popped, i'm not sure if i'm quite happy knowing how the world really works.

2. I don't really want to "come out" to my family, as they are all highly religious, and i'm sure they would out me quite a bit ( I was miss communicated from my family shortly after I moved away from home because ( through a bad prank from an ex gf ) they thought that I was gay. ( Home town is a 3,000 pop farm town, with 2 churches, you go to one or the other, prayer before football games, very highly christian centered school, etc ) So my parents are not very open to ideas, and I have a preacher uncle and a by the book devoutely religious aunt in the family. But I do want them to know I don't want to follow the religious views they follow. ) Any ideas on how to slowly ease into the family that I'm ( what i prefer to being called an athiest ) non-religious. ( my parents equate athiest with devil worshipers ) My girlfriend is a desit, and we have been together for a while, but both of our past are so broken and the wounds are still healing, that we don't often talk about deep subjects like religion, our own political views, etc. We both like our 'easyness' of eachother, and I don't feel like we are in a position to bring out a painful subject just yet. ( she is a desit though )

3. When I was 18, I had the bright Idea to get a solid black cross tattoo on my wrist ( during the peak of my christianity-hood ), and now I absolutely hate the tattoo ( the design, not tattoos in general ) and I'm not sure what to do, its rather large, and can't be covered with a watch or wristband, but often get labled as a "good little christain boy" when people see it ( its seriously the only reason why I got my job where I work, as i'm the youngest person there by 15 years, and my boss is a highly religious person ) I was thinking of a cover up, as tattoo removal ( which i've looked into ) cost $2000 and would take over 2 years to fully remove ( or lighten to the point for an easy cover up job ) So my question is how do former belivers deal with tattoos, religious sentimental items, etc now that they are no longer religious?

4. I don't have anyone that I know who is an atheist, and I have tons on my mind and basically have been in a 2 year struggle over all this, and have really been thinking of creating a blog over all the stories I have ( several good ones involving me nearly dying, adults beating up kids at church camp, being apart of a cult-like homeschool family, etc) but I don't know if It would be a good idea to do so. Part of my struggle is I have no one to talk to, and all this is constantly spinning in my head, and would like to set something up where people are free to comment on my stores, share what they know, etc. Anyone know of a good blog host site that could fill my need? the few friends I have are all highly religious and the one I've tried to talk to basically shut me down without trying to understand my reasoning. I don't care to be an athiest converter or whatever, I just want to live without the ball and chain of christianity locked around myself.

Thanks for reading all these, I have a very heavy heart over all this, and am just looking for a direction and someone to talk to. The only person who I confide everything in was my old pastor, and even outside the church, he is still one of the smartest men I've ever known, but unfortunately, I don't see how he could help me out with this. My previous views of athiest were god hating devil worshipers ( who i was sure were 'evil' people ) and I hope there are some of you who can help me out.

The truth is, you are not a "new atheist."

You see, you were born with no beliefs. That is your default position in life. Later, you were taught to believe in such things as what religion teaches. No, you are not a "new atheist" at all.

You are simply an old atheist returning to the realm of reason.

Welcome home.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 8 users Like Free's post
10-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Welcome. Tattoo pic??????
10-11-2012, 04:55 PM
A good artist should be able to help you with a cover up.

Austin's not a bad place to be for a new atheist.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
10-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Jixr-
The happy bubble you were living in wasn't reality- and now you have the opportunity to start over- you are young which is fantastic!
Instead of only focusing on the scary parts which I agree this world can seem a bit overwhelming and yet so amazing- just stop and look at how truly astounding it is to be alive and the future is all in your hands! No religion to trap your mind in- you can think and act for yourself which you have already done and are doing!
Chin up-take a deep breath and enjoy this moment you will never have it again- we are here to listen and support you!

If no change in reality can change your belief - Then your belief is not based on anything in reality