I'm a recovering catholic.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2015, 07:22 AM
I'm a recovering catholic.....
Hi everyone....I'm 38, and was a convert to the catholic church since 2009 or so. And I bought into their dogma intellectually and was captivated by the beauty of the architecture of the churches and all the rituals....the smells and bells. But within these last few months now I became a universalist-universal reconciliation...after studying the early church history and reading a progressive evangelical author by the name of Rob Bell...he's a universalist....

But now....I realize that a lot of catholics are universalists.....but the other day I was visiting my local catholic church and the thought and idea came to my mind.,.,,,the priests don't really care about me or the salvation of my soul...,it's all just a buisness....they're in it for the money....and then it hit me....theses people are frikin brainwashed......these catholics have been duped s nd brainwashed by dogma and superstition....and some of them just treat the church like a social club......so I came to the conclusion that I really truly don't believe in hell or the devil or demons.....so I said to myself...either everyone goes to purgatory then heaven when we die....or nothing happens when we die...we just cease to exist.....so right now I feel like I'm on the fence between being a universalist or being an atheist/secular humanist....and also I recently realized that I'm bisexual....I kind of feel like I'm trapped in the matrix right now.......any ideas or suggestions??? Thanks....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jason197754's post
28-10-2015, 07:24 AM
RE: I'm a recovering catholic.....
Hug

Hello! Big Grin

Pretty sure folks will be along shortly with some great hints, tips, tricks and cheat codes. Wink

Really, wishing you all the very best.

Hug
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
28-10-2015, 08:14 AM
As a fellow former catholic, welcome to TTA Smile

I understand the appeal of UU: when I (finally) clued into the fact that the Catholic church no longer reflected my value system, and certainly didn't "walk the walk" of what Jesus preached, I looked into other religions, including UU, in the hope that I wouldn't "throw the baby out with the bathwater".

Then I realized there was no baby.

Just curious: What kind of Catholic church did you attend? One of the more traditionalist ones (i.e. Latin mass) or one of the more modern ones?

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
28-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Well I attended a number of differemet catholic parishes-churches...most were modern...but I did visit a few traditional catholic churches...they were beautiful but very cultish/cultlike.....
[+] 1 user Likes jason197754's post
28-10-2015, 08:33 AM
My mom converted from Catholic to Southern Baptist when she married my father, and so I had the distinct advantage (or disadvantage, from their POV) of seeing both cults in a "compare and contrast" format, my entire upbringing.

When I "realized there was no baby", this early formulation of the "they're all just cults" idea took full flower, and it was hard for me to look at any church in any other light... but I have to admit, the Mass service beats all for sheer Hollywood-style cult behavior, especially with all the repetition. Start doing it in Latin, and it's even worse!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
28-10-2015, 08:38 AM
I can relate to the idea of it coinciding with discovery of your own bisexuality, or even admitting your own bisexuality. Often when one domino falls you start to question other assumptions that you have made about your life and start being brave enough to think in different ways.

This doesn't last forever though. It takes time to re-evaluate all your moral opinions and assumptions and to become more comfortable with holding them.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
28-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Oh, I missed that about being bisexual.

My only advice or suggestions in that regard is: "Date both men and women."

Hope that helps. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
28-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Welcome Jason. Being UU or secular humanist is not as important as not being catholic (from a former catholic). I think this is especially so in light of your newly discovered bisexuality since to truly enjoy your new sex life, you are going to have to leave behind all the guilt and sex negative inputs that the catholic church showered you with. As Darrel Ray said I am s secular sexual, I've shed all the previous catholic guilt and am comfortable with who I am. I hope you get there also.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
28-10-2015, 08:14 PM
(28-10-2015 08:38 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I can relate to the idea of it coinciding with discovery of your own bisexuality, or even admitting your own bisexuality. Often when one domino falls you start to question other assumptions that you have made about your life and start being brave enough to think in different ways.

This doesn't last forever though. It takes time to re-evaluate all your moral opinions and assumptions and to become more comfortable with holding them.

Bolding mine. Exactly! This has been the most difficult part of not being a religious person- reasoning out all that brainwashing, and replacing the chaff with real reasons. It hasn't been easy. Interestingly, my two eldest sons professed atheism a few years ago. They didn't get all the brainwashing that I did. I was talking to my second son (in terms of age), and he doesn't visit atheist sites like I do. He just accepts that he doesn't believe in a god. How I envy that. Not that I don't want to be a member here, but it sure would be nice to just accept that I am what I am, without still looking over my shoulder at that imaginary pursuer.
28-10-2015, 08:28 PM
(28-10-2015 08:41 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh, I missed that about being bisexual.

My only advice or suggestions in that regard is: "Date both men and women."

Hope that helps. Big Grin

Preferably at the same time. Wink

When I saw the post headline I thought it said "I'm a recovering alcoholic", but I suppose they are very similar. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post