I'm a recovering catholic.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2015, 09:34 PM
RE: I'm a recovering catholic.....
(28-10-2015 08:33 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ... but I have to admit, the Mass service beats all for sheer Hollywood-style cult behavior, especially with all the repetition. Start doing it in Latin, and it's even worse!

When I started viewing mass from an atheist/objective mindset, it was actually funny. It's like the stereotypical satan worshippers holding hands praying in unison. I felt like it was an episode of stargate and we were the lunatics worshipping the false gods like sheep in the most ridiculous way...I can only imagine what latin must be like, lol.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
28-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Well as a convert that I was to the Catholic church....I visited a whole lot of catholic churches in my city.....I live in San Diego.....most of those churches werecall about money and the parish school......And there's hardly any men or young adults 20-40 years old in those catholic churches......
28-10-2015, 09:59 PM
One week last year, I was accompanying my mother to mass (as I still do, for her sake) and suddenly I got this weird feeling, I felt a sudden shift in perspective and i realized what "ex-communication" really means: you have disassociated yourself from the congregation, you become like an outsider looking into the strange fishbowl. You are no longer a member, a participant: you are now a spectator.
And I was ok with that.
That was the first time I realized I was a truly an atheist.
Bowing Laughat

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
29-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Ok....where I live it's like the Bible belt...but I live in San Diego....and it feels like the matrix in my area of San Diego...and it's kind of toxic and negative here....so what should I do? Any advice or suggestions???
29-10-2015, 05:31 AM
(29-10-2015 05:21 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  Ok....where I live it's like the Bible belt...but I live in San Diego....and it feels like the matrix in my area of San Diego...and it's kind of toxic and negative here....so what should I do? Any advice or suggestions???

Move.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
29-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Recovering Cathoholic Thumbsup

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
29-10-2015, 11:21 AM
(28-10-2015 09:34 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 08:33 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ... but I have to admit, the Mass service beats all for sheer Hollywood-style cult behavior, especially with all the repetition. Start doing it in Latin, and it's even worse!

When I started viewing mass from an atheist/objective mindset, it was actually funny. It's like the stereotypical satan worshippers holding hands praying in unison. I felt like it was an episode of stargate and we were the lunatics worshipping the false gods like sheep in the most ridiculous way...I can only imagine what latin must be like, lol.

Actually, the Latin Mass is less ridiculous in some ways. The priest does a lot of ritualistic mumbo-jumbo (more so than in the modern Mass), but the congregation mostly just sits (or kneels or stands) and watches. There is hardly any participation or interaction. Any chanting or singing is done by the priest and/or the choir, almost none by the congregation.

The hand-holding type stuff is a modern hippy-dippy infusion. Traditionalists would have none of that.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
29-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Today online I went ahead and read the old latin mass version...and I do have to say that in some ways it's beautiful....but it's also hypnotic and brainwashing...,,the mass in english is still hypnotic and somewhat brainwashing too....to some extent, and degree,...
30-10-2015, 05:14 AM
And as a recovering catholic I still go to mass with the lady I live woth andvsay prayers with her and read the daily mass bible readings our of pure habbit/repetition....even though I don't believe anymore....but for me....before I woke up and broke the spell ...It was all about a personal relationship with God, Jesus, Mary and the saints...... lmao......
[+] 1 user Likes jason197754's post
30-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Hi Jason Smile Welcome!

I am a recovered Catholic and Christian--yeah I went Christian after being a Catholic Facepalm Now I'm happily an atheist. I definitely thought about liberal Christianity prior to my atheism. There are two really good books one is Jesus was a Liberal by Rev. Scotty McLennan and the other is Raw Revelation by Mark Roncace. I also recommend reading those alongside The Bible: A Historical and literary Introduction by Bart Ehrman and 50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God by Guy Harrison. I found all of those books helpful in my transition to atheism. They may help you process which direction is best for you.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post