I'm an Atheist.... Buuuut........

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2015, 04:28 PM
RE: I'm an Atheist.... Buuuut........
I'm a rationalist, and I tend to think that this might be something that is a personality trait that you are either born with or you are not. I was not taught it, I just was. I was the kind of kid who wanted to know how things worked and how they fit together. My parents bought me a book on how things worked in an effort to get me to stop taking shit in the house apart. It didn't work.

At some point I began trying to learn about my religion and how it came to be. I tried to learn the history of the places and people in the bible stories. As I learned more and more I had to compartmentalize, I knew that the events in the bible could not have happened in the history of the real world, but they did happen in magical bible land where bible history happened. At some point in my late teens, after some experimenting with other faiths (and getting bullied in HS as a result) I settled into the idea that many educated catholics hold that the veracity of the scriptures was irrelevant to the issue of God's existence. Btw, this is true. The bible can be a complete cesspools of lies and fraud and there could STILL be a god. It's truth or falsehood has no bearing on the matter of god's existence. But more and more I had to define god down, or up until it was some sort of pantheistic conscious agent who was embodied by the universe itself. However as stated by others, to call yourself a christian you have to buy into the Jesus story. I was a classical archeology major the first time I went to school. I came to realize that the gospels were a load of crap that were made up to spread propaganda. Fine, that could still mean that Jesus was divinely inspired, right? Except there's no reason to think he existed, or if he did that he was special. He was just one among MANY apocalyptic preachers saying the exact same damn thing. Which means he just is the one who got lucky and whose name we remember.

The rational response to this is to conclude the whole thing has no validity. None. And further tracing back of Yahweh found that he seemed to be the end result of a LOT of selective editing. There was NOTHING to differentiate his early incarnations from other older tribal gods. Nothing. So since there was no reason to believe that the view had validity I simply concluded that it had none. Theists love to say that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But when all facts point to this being a made up character concluding that it is a real thing and basing real world actions on this seems ludicrous.

My rationalism is how I also evaluate other claims. It's fun to suspend your disbelief for a while and pretend there are ghosts or fairies or whatnot, that's what makes those things so enjoyable. But when asking if those things exist in the real world I have to look at it rationally. Are there other things that can explain these phenomena that are more likely? Is there any definitive evidence for these things?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
08-08-2015, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 04:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  why are you an atheist?

I'm not. I'm a pretheist. Talk of God is premature. "Before we get around to this God business could we back up to the part where you said I would survive my own death. How's that work? I think you're trying to sell Girly some bullshit snakeoil promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. ... Get off my lawn."

not addressed to you SnakeWithLegs.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-08-2015, 04:41 PM
I don't believe in gods because as a rational skeptic I need evidence to support my beliefs. I lack faith.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
08-08-2015, 04:41 PM
(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  So that being said, I guess I'll come at this with just a question: why are you an atheist?

Because I read the bible front to back when I was 10 and decided it was a collection of really bad fairy tales.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-08-2015, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 05:25 PM by Free.)
(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  At my work, I have a fellow atheist, and we pretty much agree on a lot of things.

One of the things that we agree on is the frustration we have toward people who say they are atheists, but... on other things, not s'much. Since I'm rather new to atheism, I'm still a little confused about the very simple qualifications to be an atheist: don't believe in god or gods. And.... that's it. Specifically god or gods. Deities.

And I know that there are some like that here, so I don't want to step on any toes. I don't want to make it seem like my beliefs are more valid. I know that as atheists, we're only guaranteed to agree on one thing: the existence of deities.

So that being said, I guess I'll come at this with just a question: why are you an atheist?

And after that question is asked answer this one: what faculties are you using to define your atheism that you can or cannot use for other belief systems? Spiritism (that doesn't require a belief in gods)? Ghosts? Unicorns? Conspiracy theories? Political views?

When I made the full declaration to myself and to others as an atheist, by that time I had come to the conclusion that skepticism was the way to go. And skeptic until there's evidence provided for proof. Now I thought that's what defines atheism. And maybe if it still is, then the "what is evidence" I guess seems to be on a personal level.

Ugh! I don't want to give credit to those in religion who say atheist views are no better than religious views. But well, I guess maybe they're not. If there can be an atheist who also believes 9/11 was an inside job, or that fluoride in water is making us gay, or that ghosts exist, or alien abductions are a thing, then... well... Huh

Sorry, that last though just trailed off.

I am an atheist because there is no god.

I am not agnostic about it. I go with what knowledge we currently have, and the knowledge we currently have is that there is no god.

I am not required to prove there is no god. The onus of proof is upon those who claim that god exists, or that god possibly exists. I see no evidence to support the existence of god, and because I also see no evidence to support even the possibility of the existence of god, I am therefore justified to be fully atheistic.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
08-08-2015, 05:26 PM
When I was a kid I was very, very imaginative and creative. Some of it was the result of living in the sticks, literally in a log cabin, with not much in the way of modern conveniences. So without tv or movies to entertain me I entertained myself.

I imagined that my world of quaking aspen trees were trees whose leaves were money and whose quaking sound was a tree language that spoke to me. I imagined that the surrounding mountains, squirrels, birds and honey bears were part of my own empire and whom I ruled over. I gave particular pine trees individual names and boulders were human statues. But I knew, and totally understood down deep, that it was all imaginary and created. (that's what made it so much fun!) I knew that the aspen trees didn't actually talk to me. I knew the difference between reality and imagination. Um....I wasn't on drugs either.

When I got older and discovered there was a thing called religion and started reading about religions and the bible, I knew exactly where it came from. I recognized it immediately. It's created, it's human imagination. It's a way of making sense of the world. It's the same thing I did as a kid except instead of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California, it was out in the desert in the Middle East.

It isn't real. It's imaginary stuff.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-08-2015, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 01:01 AM by Cosmic Discourse.)
I'm an agnostic atheist, because I don't believe in the existence of god or gods, but scientifically there's no testable way (at present) to prove or disprove the aforementioned god or gods. I'm an anti theist because I feel the world would be better off without religion, though I'd settle for it being relegated to sophisticated fable.

My world views are grounded in the faculties of: reason, logic, critical thinking, the scientific method and skepticism. As my positions are ever evolving, my leanings may change on certain issues/topics.

At present, I identify one of two ways. If I'm in mixed company (believers/nonbelievers) I use the label "atheist", to help remove the stigma/taboo of its usage in everyday interactions. In more secular circles, I use the label "skeptic" or "scientific skeptic" as I feel it more closely represents my views (humanist, atheist, secular, naturalist, philosophy nerd, etc).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
08-08-2015, 08:19 PM
(08-08-2015 04:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was born an atheist and never experienced religious belief. That's why I'm such a nice goddamn person. Big Grin

Me too. Never believed a day in my life. Grew to despise theism after reading the bible and western and eastern philosophy.

Religion is IMO for the simple minded, like Heywood and Pops and their like.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
09-08-2015, 01:48 AM
(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  So that being said, I guess I'll come at this with just a question: why are you an atheist?

Never I was much religious it was matter of tradition and going to the church cause parents said so it took only some thinking and reading to realize that there is no evience of something called god existing. There are however many faiths which points to religion being man made thing, not to mention religion being tied with geography more often than not.

In short there is no sensible reason to be a theist - inoctrination isn't a reason and fear or wanting to be special are hardly sensible.

(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Ugh! I don't want to give credit to those in religion who say atheist views are no better than religious views.

It's not about better or worse, or maybe not only. Mainly it's about right and wrong at least for me. Atheist are simply right (as currently there is no good reason to think that something called god exists), theists are simply wrong.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
09-08-2015, 02:22 AM
Well, I certianly can't top what GWG and RS said.

Personally, I was raised christian and believed it for a while. I still thought there was a god in my early 20's but that the xtian god certianly wasn't it. I really gave it the good college try though when my wife and I were dating and newly married. I went to bible studies with her, went to church with her but it just seemed so fake and deluded. I really wanted to believe it, I really did. I desperately prayed for god to show me what I needed because he must know what I needed to see and feel. Nothing. That was when I set out to really think about it since I thought that maybe the answer was not so obvious as seeing a ghost. I was an educated person and so I thought that knowledge was the key. I started with just christan perspectives, probably out of a desperation to make my wife as happy as I could because in the religious category, I was certianly not what she wanted in a husband (she had absolutely no idea I was doing this). I just couldn't lie to myself in light of what these christian authors were saying. Their arguments were terrible, fallacious, and in many instances, downright and demonstrably wrong. I felt that if this was the best god could do, that was just sad. My P Chem professor loaned me The God Delusion and I tore through it. It was almost as if I wrote that book based on what I was thinking. Dawkins made so much sense, WAY more sense than the christian writers ever did. It was really about 6 years ago when I discovered the youtube community and that just exploded my mind. I first saw Jacklyn Glenn because she was cute and that led me to TTA, Harris, Dillihunty, and Hitchens. I have also since read many, many christian apologetics but they are so laughable to me now. So in the end, it WAS knowledge that was the key. I couldn't be happier in my own skin.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post