I'm an Atheist.... Buuuut........

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2015, 02:25 AM
RE: I'm an Atheist.... Buuuut........
(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  At my work, I have a fellow atheist, and we pretty much agree on a lot of things.

One of the things that we agree on is the frustration we have toward people who say they are atheists, but... on other things, not s'much. Since I'm rather new to atheism, I'm still a little confused about the very simple qualifications to be an atheist: don't believe in god or gods. And.... that's it. Specifically god or gods. Deities.

And I know that there are some like that here, so I don't want to step on any toes. I don't want to make it seem like my beliefs are more valid. I know that as atheists, we're only guaranteed to agree on one thing: the existence of deities.

So that being said, I guess I'll come at this with just a question: why are you an atheist?

And after that question is asked answer this one: what faculties are you using to define your atheism that you can or cannot use for other belief systems? Spiritism (that doesn't require a belief in gods)? Ghosts? Unicorns? Conspiracy theories? Political views?

When I made the full declaration to myself and to others as an atheist, by that time I had come to the conclusion that skepticism was the way to go. And skeptic until there's evidence provided for proof. Now I thought that's what defines atheism. And maybe if it still is, then the "what is evidence" I guess seems to be on a personal level.

Ugh! I don't want to give credit to those in religion who say atheist views are no better than religious views. But well, I guess maybe they're not. If there can be an atheist who also believes 9/11 was an inside job, or that fluoride in water is making us gay, or that ghosts exist, or alien abductions are a thing, then... well... Huh

Sorry, that last though just trailed off.

Why am I an atheist?
I'm an atheist for two primary reasons: I was never indoctrinated in my youth, and now I have a brain to think with I have yet to be presented with sufficient evidence to believe.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
09-08-2015, 03:03 AM
Belief that something is true without evidence is the basis for religion.

On the issue of gods, I'm going to need some very convincing evidence. So far, I haven't seen any.

When it comes to other issues that aren't supernatural, my mind can envision the very real possibility that a human hand was involved one way or another.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-08-2015, 06:16 AM
I'm an atheist because some idiot Sunday school teacher tried to tell me that the story of Jonah was literal fact. Even at age 7 or 8, I knew people didn't live inside a fish after being eaten. One by one, other stories examined fell by the wayside, too. There was nothing left for me to believe.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
09-08-2015, 06:57 AM
Throughout the full course of scientific inquiry into what makes all the bits of the universe tick, not once, not once, has any investigator found the path of discovery leading to anything god like. Even the weird baffling realm of quantum physics that leaves all who study it still scratching their heads has never had a god so much as hypothesized by its most learned explorers.

The evolution of scientific discovery has consistently been one of convergence, a narrowing of fundamental truths to a few. That trend of basic simplification is so dominant it's compelled a serious search for a TOE - the Theory of Everything.

Yet at the same time the continuing and accelerating revelations of fresh discoveries show us that what we still don't know is infinitely greater than what we do know; we know we will never know it all. But wherever we shine a flashlight into a formerly hidden crevasse in our knowledge, we never find a god in occupancy.

Religion, on the other hand, does not converge, it diverges. The world is littered with innumerable irreconcilable sects whose tenets are not the fruits of discovery but the speculative phantasms of desire and fear, rooted not just in ignorance but deliberate ignorance, a refusal to face reality.

And only religion has ever hypothesized a god.

That's why I'm an atheist.
09-08-2015, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 08:52 AM by Bucky Ball.)
I'm an atheist but .....
(I've been meaning to do or comment in a thread like this for a long time)...

So, people who've been here a while know I was brought up in a very liberal (Catholic / "High Church"- Episcopalian) atmosphere. "Whatever, dear, just get good grades, and be a good boy", was pretty much my parents and their and my grandparent's generation attitude, was to everything. In addition, my great-aunt was a well known (hilarious, "nuns-on-the-bus") type of educator-nun-college president, from a very liberal order, and she surrounded herself with "do-gooder" (in the best sense of that) women, who HAD to have a sense of humor, or else. They were always just part of the family. (And now that they're aging ... in some cases pretty fast, I feel responsible for a few of them, as they have no families left alive). So that said,, I've always been rather comfortable continuing to interact with all these people. I never had to separate from, or reject my large extended *religious* family, as they were all pretty much "mellow". I also have an Abbott/scholar friend who thinks he's gonna convert me back, and while that will never happen, I stop to see him every summer, at his monastery.

So, intellectually TTA has been an outlet for firm knowledge and debate, but IRL, many of you would be shocked to find that I have a lot of ties I maintain (for social reasons) to people I grew up thinking were my extended family, in religion. I'm sort of a "Girly" type atheist. He accepts that his wife is a believer, and with people I actually know IRL, I almost never discuss the subject. There's always something better and more interesting to talk about.

Blush

Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-08-2015, 06:20 AM
(09-08-2015 01:48 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  So that being said, I guess I'll come at this with just a question: why are you an atheist?

Never I was much religious it was matter of tradition and going to the church cause parents said so it took only some thinking and reading to realize that there is no evience of something called god existing. There are however many faiths which points to religion being man made thing, not to mention religion being tied with geography more often than not.

In short there is no sensible reason to be a theist - inoctrination isn't a reason and fear or wanting to be special are hardly sensible.

(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Ugh! I don't want to give credit to those in religion who say atheist views are no better than religious views.

It's not about better or worse, or maybe not only. Mainly it's about right and wrong at least for me. Atheist are simply right (as currently there is no good reason to think that something called god exists), theists are simply wrong.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-08-2015, 06:21 AM
(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Ugh! I don't want to give credit to those in religion who say atheist views are no better than religious views.

How about more realistic?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-08-2015, 08:44 AM
(10-08-2015 06:20 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 01:48 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Never I was much religious it was matter of tradition and going to the church cause parents said so it took only some thinking and reading to realize that there is no evience of something called god existing. There are however many faiths which points to religion being man made thing, not to mention religion being tied with geography more often than not.

In short there is no sensible reason to be a theist - inoctrination isn't a reason and fear or wanting to be special are hardly sensible.

It's not about better or worse, or maybe not only. Mainly it's about right and wrong at least for me. Atheist are simply right (as currently there is no good reason to think that something called god exists), theists are simply wrong.

I'm so right that you have nothing to add? Wink

Being more serious - it looks like you didn't wrote anything in response.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-08-2015, 09:01 AM
(08-08-2015 03:38 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  At my work, I have a fellow atheist, and we pretty much agree on a lot of things.

One of the things that we agree on is the frustration we have toward people who say they are atheists, but... on other things, not s'much. Since I'm rather new to atheism, I'm still a little confused about the very simple qualifications to be an atheist: don't believe in god or gods. And.... that's it. Specifically god or gods. Deities.

And I know that there are some like that here, so I don't want to step on any toes. I don't want to make it seem like my beliefs are more valid. I know that as atheists, we're only guaranteed to agree on one thing: the existence of deities.

So that being said, I guess I'll come at this with just a question: why are you an atheist?

And after that question is asked answer this one: what faculties are you using to define your atheism that you can or cannot use for other belief systems? Spiritism (that doesn't require a belief in gods)? Ghosts? Unicorns? Conspiracy theories? Political views?

When I made the full declaration to myself and to others as an atheist, by that time I had come to the conclusion that skepticism was the way to go. And skeptic until there's evidence provided for proof. Now I thought that's what defines atheism. And maybe if it still is, then the "what is evidence" I guess seems to be on a personal level.

Ugh! I don't want to give credit to those in religion who say atheist views are no better than religious views. But well, I guess maybe they're not. If there can be an atheist who also believes 9/11 was an inside job, or that fluoride in water is making us gay, or that ghosts exist, or alien abductions are a thing, then... well... Huh

Sorry, that last though just trailed off.

I'm not an atheist because I can prove there is no god, I'm an atheist because no one has proved that there is one.

I'm not a huge fan of the atheist label myself, seems to put god on a separate pedestal from the other myths that don't have special names for not believing in them... But that's another issue.