"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2016, 01:41 PM
"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."
I thought this was interesting, and perhaps controversial for some here. So I thought I'd share:

The New Psychology of Atheism
New research reveals some of the emotional factors involved in disbelief.
Posted Mar 21, 2016

""Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. In both studies, the extent to which research participants revealed relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief was associated with various indicators of negative emotionality, such as trait anger, psychological entitlement, and fearful / preoccupied attachment styles."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the...gy-atheism

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2016, 01:48 PM
RE: "I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."
The "news" article misrepresents the actual study, but that's hardly unusual.

Notwithstanding the better question: so what?

... this is my signature!
[+] 13 users Like cjlr's post
22-03-2016, 01:52 PM
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I thought this was interesting, and perhaps controversial for some here. So I thought I'd share:

Posted Mar 21, 2016

""Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. In both studies, the extent to which research participants revealed relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief was associated with various indicators of negative emotionality, such as trait anger, psychological entitlement, and fearful / preoccupied attachment styles."

Did you note this:
"Nonbelievers reported that relational reasons for nonbelief were far less important than intellectual reasons for nonbelief"
and avoid quoting it? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like Chas's post
22-03-2016, 02:12 PM
(22-03-2016 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I thought this was interesting, and perhaps controversial for some here. So I thought I'd share:

Posted Mar 21, 2016

Did you note this:
"Nonbelievers reported that relational reasons for nonbelief were far less important than intellectual reasons for nonbelief"

The best way to lie is to tell the truth (albeit truncated) and then shut up and hope nobody notices.
[+] 7 users Like Gawdzilla's post
22-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Quote:This new research is consistent with the results of earlier research (link is external) showing that 44% of atheists self-reported that at least some of their doubts, or at least some of their decision not to believe in God, were due to emotional reasons.

Sure, some of these people may have felt that things were not right at the beginning and that started them down that road but that hardly means that they are atheists for purely emotional reasons. I don't find it surprising at all that considering the number of christians that claim emotional reasons for believing in god, that these same people use emotions to begin their way out. Again, as CJLR pointed out: so what? Are you implying that if someone becomes an atheist for emotional reasons that is somehow silly? If that is so, then everyone who becomes religious for emotional reasons is also being silly.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
22-03-2016, 02:16 PM
(22-03-2016 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Did you note this:

No, I didn't note it, since it wasn't quoted in the actual article cited, but apparently in the abstracts for one of them. The two cited articles are behind a pay wall, so I didn't have the opportunity to read them myself.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
22-03-2016, 02:27 PM

Posted Mar 21, 2016

So? Christians and Jews and Muslims also have emotional reasons for their positions. I don't give a shit if this was true, the only reason to reject any god claim is lack of evidence. I'd say that the "emotional" reaction would be because theists are hypocritical morons. But even that is not a good reason.

So let me make this clear. I don't want someone holding the "off" position on god claims because they had a bad day. I want them to reject god claims because all god claims are fiction. If an atheist has an emotional reason, it is no better than having an emotional reason to hold a belief.

EVIDENCE, is the core reason you accept a position, and the only reason. Not "evidence" from popularity. Not "evidence" from "tradition", not "evidence" from appeal to emotion.

Of course atheists are going to have emotional reasons. You see asshole theists being bigots, or advocating oppressive laws, or committing acts of violence, or having society treat atheist like shit, sure, what the fuck do you expect? I only agree that is not the best reason to reject any claim, but it does address the stupid idea of an all loving God.

If we play "lets pretend" a god existed, and suddenly proved to me it did exist, I still would not call it moral, I might, if I was in a good mood, allow this sick fuck to explain itself.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
22-03-2016, 02:30 PM
(22-03-2016 02:13 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Again, as CJLR pointed out: so what? Are you implying that if someone becomes an atheist for emotional reasons that is somehow silly? If that is so, then everyone who becomes religious for emotional reasons is also being silly.

I don't think I implied any such thing.

I do believe that any sense of identity we form whether a theistic one, or an atheistic one, has a great deal to do with emotional reasons regardless if we want to acknowledge it or not. That we can't particularally compartmentalize emotional reasons, and what may appear to us as intellectual ones.

And it's more the tendency of folks that suggest that they're atheists purely for intellectual reasons, that are not being entirely honest with themselves. While I wouldn't say they're atheists for purely emotional reason either, just that emotional reasons are a significant part of it.

[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
22-03-2016, 02:36 PM
If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Why the weird quote?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson