"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2016, 03:00 PM
RE: "I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."
(23-03-2016 09:29 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:14 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  You've made a great point, I also love to read and mythology, folk lore and fantasy series are some of my favorite genres and I admit if some of these stories were true I would be more than happy to believe it but there is still no factual basis for them so I am happy still to believe they are fiction. I just don't see the stories in the Bible as being any more true or based on fact, they're just more myths. Just because many people believe it's true isn't enough reason to believe it myself and that's not an emotional response, it's completely logical.

is it good fiction?

I'd take the Iliad or Beowulf over it any day of the week.

No. It is some of the very worst fiction I've ever read. Homer's work, even though one of the books within the Iliad may not be his, is far superior. The Iliad is dazzling in it's imagery. Homer's description of battles were unequaled until Tolstoy IMO.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
24-03-2016, 11:13 PM
(24-03-2016 03:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 09:29 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  is it good fiction?

I'd take the Iliad or Beowulf over it any day of the week.

No. It is some of the very worst fiction I've ever read. Homer's work, even though one of the books within the Iliad may not be his, is far superior. The Iliad is dazzling in it's imagery. Homer's description of battles were unequaled until Tolstoy IMO.
I agree, 100%. Tolstoy is magnificent.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
27-04-2016, 11:44 AM
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I thought this was interesting, and perhaps controversial for some here. So I thought I'd share:

The New Psychology of Atheism
New research reveals some of the emotional factors involved in disbelief.
Posted Mar 21, 2016

""Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. In both studies, the extent to which research participants revealed relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief was associated with various indicators of negative emotionality, such as trait anger, psychological entitlement, and fearful / preoccupied attachment styles."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the...gy-atheism

There is nothing wrong with starting with emotional reasons, as long as that is not all you have.
27-04-2016, 12:39 PM
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I thought this was interesting, and perhaps controversial for some here. So I thought I'd share:

The New Psychology of Atheism
New research reveals some of the emotional factors involved in disbelief.
Posted Mar 21, 2016

""Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. In both studies, the extent to which research participants revealed relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief was associated with various indicators of negative emotionality, such as trait anger, psychological entitlement, and fearful / preoccupied attachment styles."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the...gy-atheism

The fact that one is atheist does not mean one is rational. I can tell you that emotional factors had nothing to do with my becoming atheist. It was entirely intellectual.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
27-04-2016, 01:27 PM
My reasons for being an atheist are purely intellectual at this point. I don't remember ever actually believing. I remember trying to believe and everything I witnessed and went through when I was young told me there could not be a god. I started the research for somewhat emotional reasons and came out an atheist for the right reasons.
27-04-2016, 01:37 PM
(22-03-2016 02:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And it's more the tendency of folks that suggest that they're atheists purely for intellectual reasons, that are not being entirely honest with themselves. While I wouldn't say they're atheists for purely emotional reason either, just that emotional reasons are a significant part of it.

Bullshit. More bullshit from your biased perspective.
Post the data and the way you determined this.
Otherwise :

Who the fuck cares ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2016, 01:43 PM
(27-04-2016 01:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 02:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And it's more the tendency of folks that suggest that they're atheists purely for intellectual reasons, that are not being entirely honest with themselves. While I wouldn't say they're atheists for purely emotional reason either, just that emotional reasons are a significant part of it.

Bullshit. More bullshit from your biased perspective.
Otherwise :

Who the fuck cares ?

How he comes to this conclusion is beyond me. Well...except that he wants it to be true. If atheists can be atheists for emotional reasons, and because theists can be theists for emotional reasons, doesn't that mean that both are equally likely options? No...no it doesn't.

Also, I wasn't aware of my emotional reason for being an atheist? I am aware of what my emotional reasons were for being a theist. So perhaps it is appropriate to say that my transition from theism to atheism had to do emotional reasons in that I invalidated my emotional reasons for being a theist in favor of non-emotional reasons for being an atheist? Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-04-2016, 01:55 PM
(27-04-2016 01:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 01:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Bullshit. More bullshit from your biased perspective.
Otherwise :

Who the fuck cares ?

How he comes to this conclusion is beyond me. Well...except that he wants it to be true. If atheists can be atheists for emotional reasons, and because theists can be theists for emotional reasons, doesn't that mean that both are equally likely options? No...no it doesn't.

Also, I wasn't aware of my emotional reason for being an atheist? I am aware of what my emotional reasons were for being a theist. So perhaps it is appropriate to say that my transition from theism to atheism had to do emotional reasons in that I invalidated my emotional reasons for being a theist in favor of non-emotional reasons for being an atheist? Consider

Well I guess "emotional reasons" are better than delusional reasons (visions, and NDE's and other such bullshit woo). THAT's why many religious people say THEY converted .... which is a LOT worse than "emotional" reasons.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2016, 01:58 PM
(27-04-2016 01:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 01:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How he comes to this conclusion is beyond me. Well...except that he wants it to be true. If atheists can be atheists for emotional reasons, and because theists can be theists for emotional reasons, doesn't that mean that both are equally likely options? No...no it doesn't.

Well I guess "emotional reasons" are better than delusional reasons (visions, and NDE's and other such bullshit woo). THAT's why many religious people say THEY converted .... which is a LOT worse than "emotional" reasons.

"I had a bad dream so I became a Mormon." Tongue

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-04-2016, 02:07 PM
(27-04-2016 01:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 01:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well I guess "emotional reasons" are better than delusional reasons (visions, and NDE's and other such bullshit woo). THAT's why many religious people say THEY converted .... which is a LOT worse than "emotional" reasons.

"I had a bad dream so I became a Mormon." Tongue

I had a bad dream so I wrote about the process of how it's strange how to remember my dreams I have to sit still and reflect on them in my bed otherwise if I get up or begin doing something it slowly melts away....

oh.. i see now we weren't discussing our mornings today. Shy

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post