"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2016, 02:53 PM
RE: "I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-03-2016, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2016 03:01 PM by jennybee.)
And there aren't emotional reasons or "feelings" for believing in God or gods? I would say religious people operate on "feels" far more than atheists do. Isn't that a big part of faith? It's the human condition to utilize emotion and intellectual reasoning to come to conclusions about various things. I am not surprised that some atheists may use both in terms of forming their worldview. Many religious folks bypass intellectual reasoning and go straight for emotional reasons in terms of their belief.

The guy who wrote the article ends it by saying that we would all do well to be humbled in realizing there is a mysterious universe out there and things we don't know. Really? You're an educated person with a phd and you're going the we don't know, so therefore God argument? I think he's the one who needs a psychiatrist Wink
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
22-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Ok let's use the premise of an atheist like myself saying they reject the god claim because they have researched it and investigated all possible avenues of proof/evidence and didn't find one thing that was compelling or logical. If they have any kind of emotional reasoning it's the emotional weight and value they place on logic and knowledge.

If I say I'm the kind of person who loves science, books, learning, etc. and I love to analyze information this all sounds very emotional right? It gives me an emotional incentive to learn all I can because it makes me feel good and then naturally the more information I find that either disproves a God or lacks any definitive proof of a God will give me a positive feeling, not because I want there to be no proof of a God but because I just like getting as much information as I can before I decide my opinion on it positive or negative.

I can't say believing in a God makes me angry or depressed so I refuse to do so, if I had any evidence to prove there was one I'd take it and be just as happy even if I have to later figure out why this God is so immoral. In the end if being as logical as possible gives me a positive emotional reward it shouldn't matter what the information is, if it proves or disproves a God I will accept it and emotionally feel just as satisfied because in the end its the search for and the discovery of truth that emotionally validates me, not the confirmation of an idea or concept already handed to me such as "There is God."

Until I can logically define what God is and prove it to myself there is no reason for me to believe that one exists, it's just that simple. I find no emotional reason that is good enough to believe that somehow supersedes my emotional need to use reason as a way to decipher the world around me. If I simply had no emotional need to learn and only wanted to be told what to believe and to fit in the majority group who all say "Yeah, God is real" than that would be different but I don't. In an emotional sense I don't mind being an outsider and being a free thinker, it's the exact opposite, I am happy to gain truth and knowledge to form my own unique opinion.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like SitaSky's post
22-03-2016, 03:04 PM
(22-03-2016 02:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  And there aren't emotional reasons or "feelings" for believing in God or gods? I would say religious people operate on "feels" far more than atheists do. Isn't that a big part of faith? It's the human condition to utilize emotion and intellectual reasoning to come to conclusions about various things. I am not surprised that some atheists may use both in terms of forming their worldview. Many religious folks bypass intellectual reasoning and go straight for emotional reasons in terms of their belief.

The guy who wrote the article ends it by saying that we would all do well in realizing there is a mysterious universe out there and things we don't know. Really? You're an educated person with a phd and you're going the we don't know, so therefore God argument? I think he's the one who needs a psychiatrist Wink

I totally agree, it's very frustrating as a person who values proof and logic to be told "God is real because I feel his love." Ummm ok that's good for you but I don't "feel" that and even if I did I would still want to have a solid reason why I'm feeling this way. I think some people are more likely to choose religion if they place more emphasis on feeling good as opposed to learning more. I've found many Christians avoid learning anything that might disprove their faith, it's unfortunate but it's clearly an emotional need so they don't lose that "love".

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
22-03-2016, 03:30 PM
(22-03-2016 03:04 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 02:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  And there aren't emotional reasons or "feelings" for believing in God or gods? I would say religious people operate on "feels" far more than atheists do. Isn't that a big part of faith? It's the human condition to utilize emotion and intellectual reasoning to come to conclusions about various things. I am not surprised that some atheists may use both in terms of forming their worldview. Many religious folks bypass intellectual reasoning and go straight for emotional reasons in terms of their belief.

The guy who wrote the article ends it by saying that we would all do well in realizing there is a mysterious universe out there and things we don't know. Really? You're an educated person with a phd and you're going the we don't know, so therefore God argument? I think he's the one who needs a psychiatrist Wink

I totally agree, it's very frustrating as a person who values proof and logic to be told "God is real because I feel his love." Ummm ok that's good for you but I don't "feel" that and even if I did I would still want to have a solid reason why I'm feeling this way. I think some people are more likely to choose religion if they place more emphasis on feeling good as opposed to learning more. I've found many Christians avoid learning anything that might disprove their faith, it's unfortunate but it's clearly an emotional need so they don't lose that "love".

Agreed and since there are a million gods and religions out there to choose from (in terms of past, present, and unfortunately, I'm sure, future), should we just create a huge spreadsheet and look at each one until we "feel something" in terms of which one we should worship?

If I used emotion at all in my decision making, it was after reading the Bible and reading all of the horrific things God does within its pages. What turned me away from religion was educating myself and realizing that fact far outweighed fiction.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
22-03-2016, 03:52 PM
(22-03-2016 02:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Did you note this:
"Nonbelievers reported that relational reasons for nonbelief were far less important than intellectual reasons for nonbelief"
and avoid quoting it? Consider

No, I didn't note it, since it wasn't quoted in the actual article cited, but apparently in the abstracts for one of them. The two cited articles are behind a pay wall, so I didn't have the opportunity to read them myself.

That sentence was in the abstract which was accessible to you.
Do you wish to acknowledge the content of that quote?

Pro tip: Articles about studies or surveys are not very convincing as they are subject to the biases and misunderstandings of an article's author.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-03-2016, 03:53 PM
(22-03-2016 02:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 02:13 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Again, as CJLR pointed out: so what? Are you implying that if someone becomes an atheist for emotional reasons that is somehow silly? If that is so, then everyone who becomes religious for emotional reasons is also being silly.

I don't think I implied any such thing.

I do believe that any sense of identity we form whether a theistic one, or an atheistic one, has a great deal to do with emotional reasons regardless if we want to acknowledge it or not. That we can't particularally compartmentalize emotional reasons, and what may appear to us as intellectual ones.

And it's more the tendency of folks that suggest that they're atheists purely for intellectual reasons, that are not being entirely honest with themselves. While I wouldn't say they're atheists for purely emotional reason either, just that emotional reasons are a significant part of it.

Well, that wasn't in the study - you're just making shit up and hoping we don't notice.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Why do you capitalize 'atheist'?

Why do you keep using the incorrect form 'an atheists'?

22-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Emotions was certainly part of my deconversion. An emotional reaction to numerous tragedies got me trying to logic my way through it as I did my best to cope with the harshness of reality.

Emotions got me to question. How could a loving, merciful god allow xyz to happen?! "Cause mysterious ways" wasn't enough for me. I investigated further, found there to be nothing but an ancient campfire fairy tale and horror story. I don't have to do mental gymnastics anymore trying to rationalize child rape, Level I traumas, natural disasters like the 2011 tornado outbreak that destroyed my community (there were so many that day - at one point the radio weatherman said "If you can hear this, you need to seek shelter. Every county in our listening area has multiple warnings, just seek shelter." I didn't know if I was going to live through that day), or the 2004 Tsunami that killed 250,000 people turning lives into statistics.

If there were a god I would be angry at it. The world makes more sense without one. There are two quotes I love:

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple." - Dr. Seuss
"Shit happens." - Forrest Gump

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
22-03-2016, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2016 04:26 PM by Stevil.)
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The New Psychology of Atheism
Or to be rephrased
The psychology of lacking a belief in unseen, unobserved, supernatural, incorporeal creatures.

(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  New research reveals some of the emotional factors involved in disbelief.
Of course there would be emotions involved.

1. incredulous stunned silence
When someone tells you that you ought to believe in a magical invisible creature because it "love's you"
2. strange fascination
When that person continues to tell you how much they love it and that they see evidence everywhere for their creature.
3. annoyance
When that person tells you that you will be tortured for eternity in hell if you don't believe in their creature.
4. laughter
When that person tells you that you need not look for evidence but just need to open your heart and believe with faith.
5. Fear and anger
When that person tells you that YOU must obey the laws of their invisible magical creature. And especially when they seek to implement those laws into the legal laws of the country.
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post